Subject: [Fot] Sportscar 71.2 February 2013...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:23:41 -0500 (EST)

Amici...

SCCA's current issue of SPORTSCAR has items of  potential interest.

The obits for John Fitch, Lanky Foushee, and Bob Youngdahl on pages 64 and 
65.  Of course Fitch and Foushee are icons and need no highlight here, but 
many of us ought to have also known SCCA and vintage racer Bob Youngdahl.  
Bob usually raced a fast Elva Courier, but had a barn full of cars.  While a 
Minnesota native, he also raced on the national scene, especially in Florida, 
where he had a winter home.  His death was particularly sad because it was 
neither natural nor racing.  He was killed unloading his race trailer (hit 
in the head by the ramp door).  I have long been a believer that dealing with 
towing  and trailers is every bit as dangerous as the racing (loading, 
unloading, changing tires roadside, etc.) we do.  There is often a tendency for 
us to take short cuts or skip safe practice when dealing with tasks that we 
do over and over again.  This especially true when we are alone.  Be 
careful!

Finally, glance at page 86 (last page) and the SCCA 'ROOTS' section.  There 
is a black and white picture from the 1983 issue of SPORTSCAR showing what 
appears to be a very nice TR4A race car covered with snow.  There's a racer 
standing along side in his driver's suit and balaclava...staring up at the 
sky.  No identification info in the caption.  Ironically the SCCA decal is 
displayed upside down on the car (probably something done on purpose in case 
of a roll over), but that seems to be what the SCCA was preoccupied with.  At 
the time their caption was "It's not nice to fool with your SCCA 
sticker..."   Anyone have any idea who that might be back in 1983?  Seems like we 
ought to know him.  The racer's name is listed on the door, but I can't make it 
out.

Bill Dentinger
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Sam Halkias <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:32:03 -0500

It's Fletcher Williams and the car is a TR250.

Sam

On Jan 22, 2013, at 12:27 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]