Subject: Re: [Fot] Harbor Freight

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 00:29:11 -0500

Funny how "China Freight" always uses cutesy names for their stuff: US 
General, Chicago Hydraulics, etc.
My tools go back 45 years, a combination of Craftsman, MAC, Snap On, Proto, 
and other quality brands. And Lincoln welders.
Life's too short to buy cheap tools. Or cheap bikes. Or in the old days, 
cheap beer!
Ya gets what ya pays for.
Cheers, Bill
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bobby Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
To: "FoT Triumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:25 AM
Subject: [Fot] Harbor Freight

> I'm not a big fan of buying stuff made in China but Harbor Freight has a 
> sale in
> my area of N. Texas this week.... the U.S. General (U.S.?) four drawer 
> tool cart
> 580lb capacity is a real good deal at $99.99  ... I use one like it in my 
> car
> hauler / garage.. also a 3 ton jack stand set is $15.99 ... cheap enough 
> if you
> own several Triumphs like me, one or two is always in the air.. not 
> mentioned
> but a purchase I made a few months back was a nice set of car dollys.. 
> I've got
> my Spitwad rolling around in the garage on those... wish I had bought 
> those
> years ago... you can push the car over into the tightest spaces...
> Now these are toys for men and women and there has been a bunch of 
> backlash from
> toys in China painted with lead base paint... but as adults we should know 
> not
> to lick our Chinese tools...
>
> Bobby
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Richard Good" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:22:36 -0500

I understand the 1-1/4 SU's used on early Spitfire mount with two bolts 
straight up and down.  Can anyone tell me the exact center to center bolt 
spacing?  I need to make a manifold to fit this carb and have none to 
measure.

Thanks,
Richard Good

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 07:53:58 -0700

> General, Chicago Hydraulics, etc.
After WWII and well into the 1960's Japanese products for export to the 
US followed the same strategy. Provide a name that Americans would be 
comfortable with that would give the impression of quality and reliability.

Growing up my first sewing machine was made in Japan and carried the 
brand name "Stradivarius" .

My first tools were acquired on an as needed basis one at a time as I 
needed to get something done when I could not afford a pro to perform 
the task.  I would go to a shop.  They would diagnose the problem and 
give me an estimate I could not afford.  I would then go to the library 
and read everything I could find about that part  of a car.  Then I 
would go to the parts store and purchase the part. Then I would give it 
a go. Usually the process would look more like a keystone comedy skit 
from the Lucille Ball show with me accidentally taking off wrong parts, 
breaking things because I didn't know how to use a tool properly or 
taking off too many parts.  I once or twice had a spark plug launch 
itself off the engine whilst driving down a road because I didn't get it 
on tight enough. And of course by the time I stopped work on a project I 
had more grease and grime on me than the vehicle had on it.

At first a car project would usually include multiple trips to purchase 
a tool I did not have but perceived I needed for the next step of the 
project.  My first breaker bar, short extension and spark plug socket 
carried the brand name "J.C. Penny".  Yes Penny's used to sell tools 
that carried their name.

TeriAnn
If I'd had enough money back then to pay a mechanic I would never have 
learned how to turn a wrench.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 15:11:43 +0000

The vast majority of my "Buffalo" brand socket set (purchased who knows where)
is, thankfully, gone.  Broken, not lost.  I purchased that socket set around
1987 to do my first solo wrenching - changing a water pump, in the parking lot
of our apartment building.  Naturally, it rained.

I never had any of my own tools before that, as my dad (GT6 racer Jerry Barr)
was always a short drive away, with a bottomless toolbox and decades of
wrenching experience.

The tools sold at Harbor Freight these days seem of higher quality than that
old Buffalo brand socket set, but I try to get Craftsman or better.

Scott B.
(must be winter, if we're down to talking about tools.  Is it time for The
Great Transmission Debate again?)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of TeriAnn J. Wakeman
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:54 AM
To: FOT
Subject: Re: [Fot] Harbor Freight

> General, Chicago Hydraulics, etc.
After WWII and well into the 1960's Japanese products for export to the US
followed the same strategy. Provide a name that Americans would be comfortable
with that would give the impression of quality and reliability.

Growing up my first sewing machine was made in Japan and carried the brand
name "Stradivarius" .

My first tools were acquired on an as needed basis one at a time as I needed
to get something done when I could not afford a pro to perform the task.  I
would go to a shop.  They would diagnose the problem and give me an estimate I
could not afford.  I would then go to the library and read everything I could
find about that part  of a car.  Then I would go to the parts store and
purchase the part. Then I would give it a go. Usually the process would look
more like a keystone comedy skit from the Lucille Ball show with me
accidentally taking off wrong parts, breaking things because I didn't know how
to use a tool properly or taking off too many parts.  I once or twice had a
spark plug launch itself off the engine whilst driving down a road because I
didn't get it on tight enough. And of course by the time I stopped work on a
project I had more grease and grime on me than the vehicle had on it.

At first a car project would usually include multiple trips to purchase a tool
I did not have but perceived I needed for the next step of the project.  My
first breaker bar, short extension and spark plug socket carried the brand
name "J.C. Penny".  Yes Penny's used to sell tools that carried their name.

TeriAnn
If I'd had enough money back then to pay a mechanic I would never have learned
how to turn a wrench.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:40:23 -0500

No debate from me, I learned my lesson the last time I brought it up! 

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
719 East Boulevard
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
Tele: (704) 372-5600
Fax: (704) 372-4601
E-mail: [email-masked]
www.gdhs.com
 
PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.  Thank you.
 
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  In order to comply with certain IRS regulations
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise,
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Barr, Scott
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:12 AM
To: FOT
Subject: Re: [Fot] Harbor Freight

The vast majority of my "Buffalo" brand socket set (purchased who knows
where) is, thankfully, gone.  Broken, not lost.  I purchased that socket set
around
1987 to do my first solo wrenching - changing a water pump, in the parking
lot of our apartment building.  Naturally, it rained.

I never had any of my own tools before that, as my dad (GT6 racer Jerry
Barr) was always a short drive away, with a bottomless toolbox and decades
of wrenching experience.

Scott B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of TeriAnn J. Wakeman
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:54 AM
To: FOT
Subject: Re: [Fot] Harbor Freight

After WWII and well into the 1960's Japanese products for export to the US
followed the same strategy. Provide a name that Americans would be
comfortable with that would give the impression of quality and reliability.

My first tools were acquired on an as needed basis one at a time as I needed
to get something done when I could not afford a pro to perform the task.  I
would go to a shop.  They would diagnose the problem and give me an estimate
I could not afford.  I would then go to the library and read everything I
could find about that part  of a car.  Then I would go to the parts store
and purchase the part. Then I would give it a go. Usually the process would
look more like a keystone comedy skit from the Lucille Ball show with me
accidentally taking off wrong parts, breaking things because I didn't know
how to use a tool properly or taking off too many parts.  I once or twice
had a spark plug launch itself off the engine whilst driving down a road
because I didn't get it on tight enough. And of course by the time I stopped
work on a project I had more grease and grime on me than the vehicle had on
it.

At first a car project would usually include multiple trips to purchase a
tool I did not have but perceived I needed for the next step of the project.
My first breaker bar, short extension and spark plug socket carried the
brand name "J.C. Penny".  Yes Penny's used to sell tools that carried their
name.

TeriAnn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Doug Mitchell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:58:45 -0500

I have a set of socket wrenches that I bought at Penney's over 40 years ago.
I bought them because they
were about 10-15% less than the Craftsman brand. They had the same lifetime
guarantee as Sears. Unfortunately,
they stopped selling tools in the early '80s. Still work great, other than
the 7/16 that some got lost under the
carpet of the Spit for about 20 years. A Snap-On found on the race track
replaced that.

As for Harbor Freight and other el cheapo tools, I will buy them as a one
time deal for limited jobs. But when they
need replacing, I try to buy quality. I bought a cheap tap and die set years
ago. As the original wear out, they get
replaced with good stuff.

Doug

--
Doug Mitchell
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of TeriAnn J. Wakeman
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:54 AM
To: FOT
Subject: Re: [Fot] Harbor Freight

TeriAnn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 17:37:21 +0100

Hi guys,

how things are going?

I would like to thank all people for purchasing my Viton seal solution in
the past.
I never thought that this type of crank seal might become such a big deal in
Triumph cars and racing.
Now the number of 250 seals are sold and I think most of them are now
implanted to Triumph or Morgan cars.

How cool is that?

I also would like to thank Joe Alexander for his effort to keep this project
going and making excellent suggestions to improve this solution.
As usual he stocks the Viton seals for the USA/Canada market.

At the moment the Viton seal is asked as never before. The last two weeks I
sold 15 kits all about Europe mostly UK.
I'm pleased to see that and had so far only two complaints.

The first one said, the seal was leaking badly after mounting. A replacement
was dry.

The other one didn't check his flywheel bolt length and the 4 bolts ripped
the Viton seal to bits. Bad luck for that.

All 248 other seals seem to work okay as I had no bad feedback so far, only
emails with good results.

So I'm happy if people have now a leak free race car and fun on the tracks.

Cheers
Chris

---

From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 08:41:03 -0800 (PST)

being a tool guy all my life (not just a tool) I remember the Japanese company 
that had a company in USA Japan.... I think they we're told to cease and 
desist...   BGW

________________________________
From: Bill Tobin <[email-masked]>
To: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>; FoT Triumph <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, January 7, 2013 11:29:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Harbor Freight

Funny how "China Freight" always uses cutesy names for their stuff: US General, 
Chicago Hydraulics, etc.
My tools go back 45 years, a combination of Craftsman, MAC, Snap On, Proto, and 
other quality brands. And Lincoln welders.
Life's too short to buy cheap tools. Or cheap bikes. Or in the old days, cheap 
beer!
Ya gets what ya pays for.
Cheers, Bill
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bobby Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
To: "FoT Triumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:25 AM
Subject: [Fot] Harbor Freight

> I'm not a big fan of buying stuff made in China but Harbor Freight has a sale 
>in
> my area of N. Texas this week.... the U.S. General (U.S.?) four drawer tool 
>cart
> 580lb capacity is a real good deal at $99.99  ... I use one like it in my car
> hauler / garage.. also a 3 ton jack stand set is $15.99 ... cheap enough if 
you
> own several Triumphs like me, one or two is always in the air.. not mentioned
> but a purchase I made a few months back was a nice set of car dollys.. I've 
got
> my Spitwad rolling around in the garage on those... wish I had bought those
> Now these are toys for men and women and there has been a bunch of backlash 
>from
> toys in China painted with lead base paint... but as adults we should know not

---

From: Bud R <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:51:40 -0700

Richard,

I measured 2.52 inches on both sets of 1 1/4 carbs I have. Glad to see  
you doing more Spitfire parts. How bout a LSD next.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Jan 8, 2013, at 6:22 AM, Richard Good wrote:

> I understand the 1-1/4 SU's used on early Spitfire mount with two  
> bolts straight up and down.  Can anyone tell me the exact center to  
> center bolt spacing?  I need to make a manifold to fit this carb and  
> have none to measure.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard Good _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 12:21:03 -0500

I second the motion :)

Marty

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:51:40 -0700
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Fot] carb bolt pattern
>
> Richard,
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:38:24 -0700

As far as hand tools are concerned, I stay with my Craftsman, Snap-On, MAC
etc, but I have discovered that electric tools such as grinders, Sawsalls,
sanders and so forth are all made in China (even the name brands) and don't
last very long.  So my purchasing strategy is to buy the cheapest one
knowing that I will have to buy another one when it breaks.

Joe C.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of john hasty
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:40 AM
To: 'Barr, Scott'; 'FOT'
Subject: Re: [Fot] Harbor Freight

---

From: "Richard Good" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 13:20:41 -0500

Thanks everyone for your help.

Richard
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bud R
  To: Richard Good
  Cc: FoT Triumph
  Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:51 AM
  Subject: Re: [Fot] carb bolt pattern

  Richard,

  I measured 2.52 inches on both sets of 1 1/4 carbs I have. Glad to see you
doing more Spitfire parts. How bout a LSD next.

  Bud Rolofson

  71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)

    Thanks,

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:53:50 -0500 (EST)

FOT:

After two years of sales of this product designed by Chris Marx, it has become
a proven product. I have been passing these components through at my cost to
support the project, and I am not at all unhappy I have done this.

Chris has turned production of the seals over to another company that has huge
buying power. Chris has also worked with this company to produce the split
scroll seal to the Viton Seal specifications.  This is far preferable over
remanufacturing and modifying the old scroll seals. (A large pain in my A**).
So the cost of the seal has gone down and the cost of the new scroll has gone
up.

That all being said, I have the new VITON SEALS, the new SCROLLS, and the
CENTERING TOOLS all on the shelf. I will be rethinking the pricing as I
sometimes have a couple of thousand in inventory and it's time I made some
profit on these. They will still be lower cost than you can get them from
Europe or in the U.S.   My pleasure.

I currently have five scrolls on the shelf, if anyone needs a kit or
individual components, please contact me.

Best Regards,

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.
645 1st Street
Jesup, Iowa 50648
319.464.4711  (cell)
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: MadMarx <[email-masked]>
To: 'FOT' <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Jan 8, 2013 10:37 am
Subject: [Fot] Split seals TR 3-4

Hi guys,

how things are going?

How cool is that?

Cheers
Chris

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 06:06:28 -0600

Cheap tools are great for making "special tools". I needed a very narrow open
end large wrench for TR6 hubs and a HF crescent was the best option once I
ground it down.

Sent from my iPhone

> replaced with good stuff.
needed
> learned how to turn a wrench.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:35:52 -0600

Don't forget pawn shop tools.  About ten years ago I found the size
specifications for Whitworth wrenches, so I bought 8 or 10 reasonably good
quality open end wrenches from a pawn shop and ground them to size.

Duncan
(Texas)
1952 Morgan Plus 4
Red #6

---

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:48:45 -0500

Hi All, I have a couple sets of Whitworth wrenches I'm not needing. If you 
have an interest give me a shout.
I think some are King Dick brand.
Bill

---

From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:09:23 -0800 (PST)

if you have a pawn shop in your travels, go in every once in a while if you're 
curious... 

every one is different..  there are good deals to be found across the board, 
hence my toolsandjewels name   .... new web page is     www.unclejoespawn.com    

yes I'm self serving if you're in Weatherford Texas you get the DEAL...  

no I'm not Uncle Joe 

Bobby Whitehead
Pawn Star of CVAR

________________________________
From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
To: FOT <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, January 11, 2013 2:36:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Harbor Freight

Duncan
(Texas)
1952 Morgan Plus 4
Red #6

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "RACER BUD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:13:54 -0800 s=q20121106; t=1357953230; bh=CUd8/8/bV36q0ffGISKihTGtQ8CPnCIb5801c4EdtBg=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=JvDii8quPVG84/6HcjCXZ+FQlietX/PY/6L5RqldIqVMceQoG1qsMAagpi3PcPQpt ZpRcKKfnq94ItgW/V9DSN4ImjwdPGWbom72ZxlgKECwxgkkkOWeNrLSnNQpLDrm4aJ u2o0AHtqlDYCVHVk0Z2HN76pZk3p9GW7VLImW/E2nqosH6OclIC1rZJVPVnOmvmoiW ZOBvePLaTScKghEeTF4MSCTT9tdC81I+VbmmV+saMZ/sdkdfBZ25K+j7uvzrovRfml TEr/DP4kSB67qxmXTumvTEnSvbMBVgtb2AHbksSETpBxooFxx1GqJ7IvMBwvqZjnEV R6MYW3s2Py9Sw==

speaking of deals...for those of you in Central and Northern Ca...Sonoma 
Raceway has confirmed their swap meet on Sat, Feb 2nd...25.00 per space...no 
other details yet
RB
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bobby Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
To: "Duncan Charlton" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "FoT Triumph" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 5:09 PM
Subject: [Fot] Pawn Shopping

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:24:26 -0500

Gee whiz, Bobby, having collected tools since my "hot rod" days in the late
40's & 50's, I couldn't possibly tell you all the brands.  For sure Sears was
a big source,  but I'm sure none of them had "dick" in the name

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:29:20 -0700

> if you have a pawn shop in your travels, go in every once in a while if you're

My favorite pawn shop score was getting a set of Snap-On wobble 
extensions for some
ridiculously low price.  I've been using them for decades, still look as 
good as new.

mjb.

---

From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:31:19 -0800 (PST)

did I miss something?    

________________________________
From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
To: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Cc: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>; FoT Triumph 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, January 11, 2013 7:24:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Pawn Shopping

Gee whiz, Bobby, having collected tools since my "hot rod" days in the late 40's 
& 50's, I couldn't possibly tell you all the brands.  For sure Sears was a big 
source,  but I'm sure none of them had "dick" in the name 

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:40:29 -0500 (EST)

yes

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.
645 1st Street
Jesup, Iowa 50648
319.464.4711  (cell)
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
To: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Cc: FoT Triumph <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Jan 11, 2013 7:31 pm
Subject: Re: [Fot] Pawn Shopping

did I miss something?

40's

Sent from my iPhone