Subject: Re: [Fot] Tranny rebuilt problem looking for a solution

From: Glenn Franco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:39:18 -0500

Chuck
I have had the same problem many times even when using a dummy shaft.
I did have some success on the last one by gently moving it into place 
with a screw driver.
Did you use lots of sticky grease on the case side to keep it in place?
Glenn

On 1/20/2013 11:37 PM, Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley wrote:
> spent the afternoon reassembly the tranny for my TR6.  All went OK till I
> tried to put the countershaft back in.  The front thrust washer is hanging
> down about a 32 of an inch and nothing I have tried can move it up that
> little amount so the counter shaft can come through.  I presume the washer
> has rotated a little such that the dimple is now not aligned with theslot
> at the top.  anybody have any experience with solving this short of taking
> it all apart again and reassembling?
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:08:20 +0000

Chuck,
This is a fairly common problem when assembling the TR trans.  Try flipping the transmission upside down.  This will allow the laygear to rest on the mainshaft gears and hopefully take and load off of the thrust washers.  Then carefully move the thrust washer into position.  I use a small pick  through one of  the 2x 5/16" layshaft end plate mounting bolts to rotate and position the thrust washer.  This has worked for me many times.  
Give me a call if you get stuck.
Jeff D.
TR6 #12
TR250
TR4A
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

---

From: "M&M Hado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:10:04 -0600

Chuck,

It looks like you have already had some good suggestions to get the washer
back in position.  To avoid the problem in the first place, I always first
turn the EMPTY casing on end, bell housing down, then put the countershaft
temporarily in place.  It only has to come up through the hole on the bell
housing end.  I then put some Loctite on the steel side of the thrust washer
and place it over the countershaft and down against the casing.  A large
socket can serve as a weight to hold the washer in place overnight until it
is stuck to the casing.  Later you can remove the countershaft and the
washer will remain firmly in place (and perfectly centered) while you
assemble the rest of the gearbox.  This is only for the large thrust washer,
of course, since the small one has to go in after the cluster is put in
place.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 10:08 AM
To: Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley; [email-masked];
Friends; Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tranny rebuilt problem looking for a solution

Chuck,
This is a fairly common problem when assembling the TR trans.  Try flipping
the transmission upside down.  This will allow the laygear to rest on the
mainshaft gears and hopefully take and load off of the thrust washers.  Then
carefully move the thrust washer into position.  I use a small pick  through
one of  the 2x 5/16" layshaft end plate mounting bolts to rotate and
position the thrust washer.  This has worked for me many times.  
Give me a call if you get stuck.
Jeff D.
TR6 #12
TR250
TR4A
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: "Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley" <[email-masked]>
To: Friends<[email-masked]>; Triumph<[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] Tranny rebuilt problem looking for a solution

spent the afternoon reassembly the tranny for my TR6.  All went OK till I
tried to put the countershaft back in.  The front thrust washer is hanging
down about a 32 of an inch and nothing I have tried can move it up that
little amount so the counter shaft can come through.  I presume the washer
has rotated a little such that the dimple is now not aligned with theslot at
the top.  anybody have any experience with solving this short of taking it
all apart again and reassembling?
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]