Subject: Re: [Fot] 16 Inch Rims on TR6

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 12:47:16 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013, Joe Alexander wrote:

> Perhaps the time has come for you to join us with road racing.

Exactly. Or not.

FWIW, I got shot down on my SCCA medical clearance, so I guess I need to 
be "less candid" in my next attempt. ;-)

> A modest approach could be very satisfying to you as it has been with 
> Mr. Tobin.

The operative is "modest". I seem to have a problem with that. "Overkill" 
is more my usual approach. Although I seem to be "maturing" in that 
respect.

> Joe Alexander
> A. R. E.
> 645 1st Street
> Jesup, Iowa 50648
> 319.464.4711  (cell)
> [email-masked]

c ya,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert MacKenzie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:17:56 -0600

I can't comment of the wheels but I have been running the Hoosier A6s on my
'62 Spit Solo GP car.   Once you get some heat into them they are
unbeatable.

Some cars seem to work better on a smaller wheel so this might work for you.

Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Robert M. Lang
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 9:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] 16 Inch Rims on TR6

Hi,

Car: TR6, non-vintage, current Solo car in SCCA.

I'm going through my "list" for 2013 and one of the things that has come up
again is tire availability... Goodyear has pulled out of Solo, so I can only
get cantilever slicks from Hoosier or at least that's where my search has
gone so far.

A lot of the "fast guys" are running 16 inch rims along with non-cantilever
slicks from pretty much every manufacturer. Some of the faster guys are
switching to Avon. In fact, Avon pulled in some trophies at Nationals in
2012, so they look "promising".

I'll eventually talk to the guys at Roger Krauss about the Avons, but even
so, there are a lot more choices in the non-cantilever category slicks out
there...

So, this is a long way of asking: When I switch to 16 inch rims and
non-cantilever tires, I have to get 16 x 10 rims because of the tire
choices. I know the the interference of of the upper control arm is less of
an issue, but there's limited space on the rear trailing arm - so I have to
be careful what I get for wheels as far as offset. Can anyone provide some
guidance numbers for proper wheel sizing when switching to 16 rims?

I figure I need a -24mm offset maybe more. Any comments? I realize that I'll
need custom wheels for this. I need some pointers there. I only know about
Kieser at this point.

Methinks: "this could get expensive"

It also makes me think - road racing might be "cheaper".

:-)

rml

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]