Subject: Re: [Fot] Longest Drive

From: robert bownes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:20:15 -0500

I think the original question was about race hours rather than road
trips...But if you are going to talk road trips...

Albany, NY to Dallas Tx for the 1989 VTR meet. Nonstop in the TR6. top
down. Race in Dallas (win), pick up buddy at airport, drive to
Minneapolis/St. Paul over 1.5 days (top down), spend 2 days in MSP, then
non stop MSP->ALB some of it in the rain. Total somewhere in the
neighborhood of 3400 miles in about 8 days. Was an epic road trip that can
only be pulled off in college. ;)

Plenty of other great road trips in that car... All with a race
destination. My favourite is still autox on the streets of Waterloo, Iowa.

Bob

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Vintage Racer
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> During Spring break from college in 1966, a good friend and I decided to
> drive
> my 1959 TR3 from the San Francisco Bay Area to Guaymas, Mexico which is due
> south of Nogales.  Guaymas was a very small fishing village on the Gulf of
> California and the only plans we made were to camp on a yet to be
> determined
> beach during our week stay.  In order to pack camping essentials and our
> clothes we had to leave the side curtains behind due to lack of storage
> space.
> We left early one morning and arrived in Guaymas the evening of the second
> day.  We alternated driving at each gas stop.  On our third morning we were
> surprised to see two of our dorm mates driving towards the same beach
> where we
> were headed.  We joined forces and had an enjoyable time bumming around the
> area.  The drive home was made in two days but the TR required a quart of
> oil
> at every gas stop.  Other than that, the car never missed a beat over the
> 2300
> miles we covered.  That summer, my father and I rebuilt the TR's
> engine..great
> little car but I sure appreciated the roll up windows on my friends new
> TR4 he
> acquired shortly after our return.
>
> Gary
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "RACER BUD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 20:25:38 -0800 s=q20121106; t=1359260740; bh=mx2dEQ9++A6qdDo+yjqa1NJlrHmM6ckc2e/UjVIDuC0=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=njRmK+3uiB5HY9hXAQDZ0nv/aAsS3zXa+buhPKrFo9LShb5OjwaDrRklR+lVx87xB H9oAJlFxgCobp6Zy9Y2+dvWsLL6ZUKxdAc+VzJH73rue2ThFcBjton72Z9DDiTC+qN j8BiFvDNpE1TzBfATFC2m40u5vx2oj1I4Q5Ly8JgAG4fqGguULrGyd5HowrrVEHTXH 5qcOcsCbFTQQ7ax3BDW2qgZbQGszJeLHI7pq7FcoojVoJp7fjKezwxdWiKlKASbEtX 0U4Ssqh6B5iJ7HckaKzJUf5x9zstFlqA7FoqquzRlCP5Pjz2eJ1++8LSpnMJoKZPc/ t74LLXP4hTZuw==

What a Terrific bunch of Adventurous  folks we were and still are..FOT 
ROCKS!!
RB
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Vintage Racer" <[email-masked]>
To: "FOT" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:09 PM
Subject: [Fot] Longest Drive

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:28:47 -0500 (EST)

AH YES, BOB!    The WATERLOO AUTOCROSS.....been there, done that.  Somebody
finally took out a street light and it ceased.

-----Original Message-----
From: robert bownes <[email-masked]>
To: Vintage Racer <[email-masked]>
Cc: FOT <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Jan 26, 2013 10:23 pm
Subject: Re: [Fot] Longest Drive

Bob

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 22:12:18 -0700

> What a Terrific bunch of Adventurous  folks we were and still are..FOT 

Indeed.  My contribution will be about the summer of 1984.  A '69 TR6 
was my one and
only means of transport.  Managed to pack all I needed in it to drive 
from Salt Lake
to Milpitas, California.  I was staying there for the summer with a 
friend while I did
an internship at the San Jose IBM labs.  I had no qualms about the car, 
it did just fine.
There, the daily commutes and back home again months later.

My favorite part was when Deb flew out to see me and we drove it to 
Yosemite for some
climbing.  Every night I would put all the food in the trunk and back it 
under this leaning
tree to keep the bears from popping it open.  Maybe at this year's 
Kastner cup I'll tell
the bear story.

mjb.

---

From: Home Consolidated <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:13:55 -0600

Longest TR3 trip was 4985 miles in 15 days in 2005, but them most memorable
had to be Watkins Glen, the first time in 1970 without a top and the last time
with youse guys a couple of years ago. ;-)

Ken Gano

Sent from my iPad

>> acquired shortly after our return.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:51:52 -0600

If we're talking about long road trips, In 1968 I drove my new TR250 
10,000 miles in about 10 weeks.  Started at the factory in Coventry, 
then went to Wales, Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Belgium, 
Germany, Denmark, Sweden, back to Germany, France, Spain, France again, 
Switzerland, Italy, Yugoslavia, Austria, Germany again, Holland, Belgium 
and back to London.  We would have covered more miles, but were stuck in 
Berlin for several weeks waiting for an engine replacement.  With only 
3,700 miles on it, the first one threw a rod in East Germany between 
Berlin and West Germany. I swear I was only going 80 mph.  Good thing we 
were too young and stupid to be afraid of the East Germans.

A couple of years later, my young bride and I drove it from Texas to 
Seattle in 3 days pulling a small trailer with all our worldly 
belongings.  I especially remember the drive over Molas Pass in 
Colorado.  The transmission went out 2 months later.
Larry