Subject: Re: [Fot] I'm joining the SCCA. Good or bad?

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:38:49 -0500 (EST)

Lots of good questions.

Des Moines Valley Region does not seem to be a bad place to explore for
information.

Google MIDWEST COUNCIL OF SPORTS CAR CLUBS and review their website.

They primarily operate out of BLACKHAWK FARMS RACEWAY.

They conduct both autocross and wheel to wheel schools on the road racing
track.

They have been in existence since the 50s and have it all down pretty well.

We are targeting a school in the spring for a combination of things....sorting
out reconstruction of the TR4, possible refresher for me, and possibly getting
credentials for G'son Brendan. You might join us there.

Also look at VSCDA.org for a purely vintage organization. Lot's of information
there.

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.
645 1st Street
Jesup, Iowa 50648
319.464.4711  (cell)
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Frank <[email-masked]>
To: Friends of Triumph <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Jan 9, 2013 11:35 am
Subject: [Fot] I'm joining the SCCA. Good or bad?

I went to the DMVR SCCA meeting last night, and will be solo auto crossing an
80 Spitfire and soaking in all the info I can to work towards getting my
racing license and becoming a club racer. I am new to this, and don't want to
dive in too deep just yet. It will be nice to have a specific race car
instead
of using my road car Spitfire. I need to find an info source for a roll cage
that I need to pass inspection for SCCA rules. Is it the same regulations for
things like the Kastner Cup? Is it a standard spec throughout the different
racing factions? Do I need to go all out with 5 point harnesses and a hans
device? Is the SCCA a good place to start, or should I get in to a different
faction? I would like to be able to drive the racer to the track. Is that
possible to have a street legal racer that still has the proper spec for
being
a club racer? Like I said, I am new to this and am excited to start off this
next season. I want to definitely work
 towards actual track time instead of parking lots and cones. Door to door
racing is much more appealing to me. Can anyone help with any of these
questions or have suggestions for a rookie like me? Thank you for the
time...Shawn Frank Des Moines, IA 515-339-4228
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert MacKenzie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:03:19 -0600

Shawn:

Speaking only for myself; I feel an SCCA card is a good thing.  I have been
competing in SCCA Solo with two Spits for several years and recently went
through the same sort of questions you are asking.

The bottom line is a Spitfire 1500 can be a competitive solo car in F Street
Prepared [FSP].   That is a national class that has large entry numbers at
most SCCA National Tour, Championship and ProSolo events and you will need a
SCCA card to enter.   Safety requirements in solo are less stringent; you
should plan to install a basic roll bar with harness bar and a good 4 or 5
point harness. SA 2005 or 2010 helmets are needed but a HANS device is not.
[not yet?] Fuel cells and fire systems are also not required.

As for road racing in SCCA that is a different ball game.   A late spit can
run in the Grand Touring class as well as the Improved touring without huge
modifications like those in the Production class.  You will have to check
with your local chapter as to what classes they run in your region.

You will still require a full cage, fuel cell, racing seat, fire system,
HANS....ect.

All the information is in the new January 2013 GCR which is available for
download off the SCCA club racing page.

There is yet another option: SCCA Vintage Racing.   Again, you will have to
check with your local chapter as to what classes/races, if any, are run in
your region.  There is a separate SCCA Vintage Racing GCR.

My advice would be to mod the car for FSP solo and run as many events as you
can while doing some track days/driving schools.  Plan to attend Solo
Nationals in the fall!

Other folks on this list will be much more knowledgeable than I with respect
to other vintage clubs/series such as HSR or SVRA.

Feel free to contact me off line if you have any questions wrt SCCA Solo in
your Spit.

Robert MacKenzie
Austin Texas
'78 1500 (street)
'71 GT6 MKIII (project)
'62 Spitfire 4 (race)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Shawn Frank
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 11:35 AM
To: Friends of Triumph
Subject: [Fot] I'm joining the SCCA. Good or bad?

I went to the DMVR SCCA meeting last night, and will be solo auto crossing
an
80 Spitfire and soaking in all the info I can to work towards getting my
racing license and becoming a club racer. I am new to this, and don't want
to dive in too deep just yet. It will be nice to have a specific race car
instead of using my road car Spitfire. I need to find an info source for a
roll cage that I need to pass inspection for SCCA rules. Is it the same
regulations for things like the Kastner Cup? Is it a standard spec
throughout the different racing factions? Do I need to go all out with 5
point harnesses and a hans device? Is the SCCA a good place to start, or
should I get in to a different faction? I would like to be able to drive the
racer to the track. Is that possible to have a street legal racer that still
has the proper spec for being a club racer? Like I said, I am new to this
and am excited to start off this next season. I want to definitely work
towards actual track time instead of parking lots and cones. Door to door
racing is much more appealing to me. Can anyone help with any of these
questions or have suggestions for a rookie like me? Thank you for the
time...Shawn Frank Des Moines, IA 515-339-4228
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:33:03 -0600

Shawn,
Yes, In my opinion, Midwestern Council, as Joe says, will likely be your
best introduction and source for the journey you are embarking on.
You would most likely even have a FoT member as your instructor.
I'm heavy involved in MCSCC, Racer, race chair, Board member... etc.

Great group of people. Provides many types of high speed track
events.. autocross and wheel to wheel.
>From both a fun and competition standpoint you will really like the options
offered for a 1500 spit.
We have 2 drivers school weekends..in April and August.
This is a Points Championship Series for all classes except vintage. We
have a total of about 10 race weekend events at various tracks in the
Midwest such as Blackhawk Farms, Road America, Gingerman, Grattan,
Milwaukee Mile.
A Midwestern Council Full Competition Licence allows you racing
privileges just about anywhere.
Let me know if you are interested anytime and I'll hook you up with
help you will need.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing

---

From: Joe Henry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 20:09:58 +0000

Shawn,
     I have been a SCCA member for a long time and have been Club Racing for a
while.  Different feel at a SCCA race than vintage but both are fun.  Roll
Cage info can be found in the GCR and I am pretty sure most if not all vintage
groups will accept a SCCA cage.  If you are going wheel to wheel racing I
would rethink driving my car to the track!  I am not saying it is not possible
in some classes but there are a number of modifications that would help a race
car that are not street legal.  Also in wheel to wheel racing, any wheel to
wheel racing, stuff happens and things break.  Being several hundred miles
from home with your only means of transportation "on the hook" would not be a
good feeling!  Reconsider this strongly!  Limiting your participation to
autocross is another matter.  HANS will be required for wheel to wheel and a 5
point harness.  5 point would also be useful in autocross.  You have a
wonderful source of knowledge here in this group.  Be sure to use it and HAVE
FUN!

Joe Downer
Charlotte, N.C.

> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 09:34:48 -0800
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
an
> racing license and becoming a club racer. I am new to this, and don't want
to
instead
being
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]