Subject: [Fot] My longest drive in a TR

From: Ken Suhre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 19:30:36 -0800 (PST)

Friends,
  My longest drive took place in November 1959. I had taken a vacation to
visit a Porsche owner I had befriended when his Speedster blew a timing gear
near my Dad's farm. We stored it there until he could return to tow it back to
the Air Force base at Alamagodo, NM, where he was stationed as a musician.
 The day before I was planning to return home, I twisted off an axle in the
diff at a stop sign. We located a new part and installed it on a sand lot near
the offbase home he rented. Since I was already one day late returning to
work, I drove my '56 TR 3 straight through back home, covering 1125 miles in
22 hours. No-doz wasn't having much effect on me by the time I arrived home. I
had run my first Sports Car race in that car the previous September. Maybe why
I broke an axle some time later.
Ken Suhre 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:31:52 -0500

My longest drive was at age 17 in my first car, a 68 GT6+ I had hobbled
together in the side yard the summer before.  2800kms round trip to visit my
brother in La Baie Quebec

Bloody miracle.  That car was such a rot bucket the guy handed me a shop
manual and we sealed the deal for one dollar!  A lot of pop rivets and
fibreglass and the finishing touch...  my mother suggested I paint it with her
filter queen (I had no money :) so on a hot sunny day I sprayed my first car.
All I will say is it was blue LOL.  I sure learned a lot that year, trial by
fire...  Great fun
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]