Subject: [Fot] H6 Gland packing help

From: Mike Mehl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 12:57:26 -0800 (PST)

I have been doing some work on the TR4 race car over the winter here in the
Northwest.  I am switching to an H6 carb set up from the HS6 carbs I had used
the last 3 years (long story on why - though I had a carb problem when it was
a head gasket).  I am having problems with the packing leaking around the
Jets.  The Jets are new from Joe Curto.  When initially put the carbs on the
car and applied fuel pressure they started dripping.  I replaced the new cork
packings with the Orings that Moss sells.  They leaked as well.  So I did some
looking on the internet and SU says to soak the cork packings in motor oil.  I
did that and put the carbs back together after soaking.  I had some head work
done and finally have the engine all together.  
 
I ran the engine today for
the first time and the jets are still leaking.  Does the leaking go away the
carbs have been used awhile?  The Jets never actually get used other than to
center the needle with no choke linkages.  
 
Any ideas would be appriciated.
 
thanks!!!
 
Mike Mehl 
#46 TR4 - Vancouver Washington
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 00:14:23 -0500 (EST)

Mike,
I used to get great comments from the SF SCCA inspectors about my  TR3's 
SUs not leaking.
I used liberal amounts of petroleum jelly with the cork seals.  Have  you 
checked the jet outside surfaces and diameters for scratches or other  issues 
that could hurt the seals?  Even new parts need to be checked.  Are you 
certain that the leaks are from the jet OD?
 
Please be advised that when I went from the H6 to the HS6 the change was  
beyond track tuning in the limited amount of time available during a National 
 weekend for a very modified motor.  I had the complete H6 system to  
reinstall, and did for that weekend.  The center pull linkage for the  butterfly 
shafts of the HS6 is much more reliable in my experience, and we did  get 
them to work very well.
 
TR Regards,
 Hardy

In a message dated 1/6/2013 8:57:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

From:  Mike Mehl <[email-masked]>
To: Triumph Friends of  <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] H6 Gland packing  help
Message-ID:
<[email-masked]>

I have been doing some work on the TR4  race car over the winter here in the
Northwest.  I am switching to an  H6 carb set up from the HS6 carbs I had 
used
the last 3 years (long story  on why - though I had a carb problem when it 
was
a head gasket).  I am  having problems with the packing leaking around the
Jets.  The Jets  are new from Joe Curto.  When initially put the carbs on 
the
car and  applied fuel pressure they started dripping.  I replaced the new  
cork
packings with the Orings that Moss sells.  They leaked as  well.  So I did 
some
looking on the internet and SU says to soak the  cork packings in motor 
oil.  I
did that and put the carbs back  together after soaking.  I had some head 
work
done and finally have  the engine all together.  

I ran the engine today for
the first  time and the jets are still leaking.  Does the leaking go away  
the
carbs have been used awhile?  The Jets never actually get used  other than 
to
center the needle with no choke linkages.  

thanks!!!

Mike Mehl