Subject: [Fot] Spitfire 1300 Large Bearing Crank - Small Bearing Crank?

From: "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:45:41 -0500

The size of the crank pulley is larger on the later Spit (large crank) as is
the securing nut. The easiest way is to look at the engine number. The small
crank engines were all FD or FE prefix while the large crank 1296 engines
were FK. The 1500 engines were FM prefix. These appear on a tab of casting
on the left rear of the block where it meets with the head. Just to make it
interesting, the 1147 engine can have it's crank used in a small crank 1296
(FE or FD) by installing a speedy sleeve on the sealing area in the rear.

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bud R
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:12 PM
To: [email-masked] List
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire 1300 Large Bearing Crank - Small Bearing Crank?

Is it possible to tell if a crank is a large bearing crank or a small
bearing crank from just looking at it from the outside and still in the car?
The PO couldn't really tell me much about the bottom end of the engine now
in my Spit so until I pull this engine I may just have to be curious.

Have any of you had a large bearing Spitfire crank modified per Kas's
example in the Triumph Prep. Handbook? I believe Dan Hall Machine Inc.  
in Portland is still around but was wondering if there were other machine
shops who the list may have used for the cross drilling, etc.  
of a large bearing crank.

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle) Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977
Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]