Subject: [Fot] TR8 direction

From: Shawn Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 05:23:25 -0800 (PST)

We have a TR8 sitting in front of us. Input on what you think we should do
with it? It is in good shape, no rust, decent paint, soft top, doesn't start
and has been garaged for more than 5 years. What should we do with it???
HELP!   Shawn

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Jim Gray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:45:04 -0700

Race it.

jim g

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Shawn Frank
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] TR8 direction

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Shawn Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:49:35 -0800 (PST)

It is a 1980 convertible, green, with AC. It is a very nice find for the
price, and would not take much to get it on the road. Should we do an
Edelbrock manifold and carb?   Shawn

---

From: Shawn Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 07:02:07 -0800 (PST)

It will stay in our fleet as of right now. I agree that we should get it running and drive it. I am hoping to have 3 of our fleet heading to the KCup, including the TR8, a 71 Spitfire MKIV, and an 80 Spitfire 1500. I will try to post pics tonight, as we (friend of mine) head over to see about turning it over tonight. Cross your fingers...shawn

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:06:18 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 12/12/2012 8:46:14 AM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Could it be a "street able track day car"?
> You'd get more seat time and pleasure for your money and leave a door open 
> to
> further convert to full race later.  It would make an excellent race car 
> for sure.
> 
More than a few people think that aluminum engine is one of the best 
engines ever built.  We had one in a Buick mid-sized convertible, and it was a 
great little car.  Pound for pound...it sure had a lot of power.

Bill Dentinger

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:56:49 +0000 (UTC)

Give the owner $2000 and walk away from the car. You will save thousands of
dollars and many hundred of hours of your life in the long run.

Ed Woods (with credit to my brother Harvey for figuring this out years ago;
although I have rarely heeded this advice.)

----- Original Message -----

From: "Shawn Frank" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:23:25 AM
Subject: [Fot] TR8 direction

HELP! B  Shawn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 20:55:20 -0500 (EST)

Myself, I'd really like to have a TR8 so if the decisions get too difficult 
 give me a shout;-))

In a message dated 12/12/2012 5:22:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I own  one.  Get it running and drive it for a while, then come back and  
ask
us.  Remember this started out as a GM engine, so crossover parts  are
plentyful.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From:  [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of  Shawn Frank
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:23 AM
To:  [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] TR8 direction

We have a TR8  sitting in front of us. Input on what you think we should do
with it? It is  in good shape, no rust, decent paint, soft top, doesn't 
start
and has been  garaged for more than 5 years. What should we do with  it???
HELP!   Shawn

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:17:07 +0000 (UTC)

I for one don't give a hoot about re-sale price. I have bags of money and time
in my TR4

and wouldn't recover but a fraction of it if I ever chose to sell it. I do it
becau se I love the

sport and I love the car and I love the continued developement.

The rewards ( for me ) cannot be measured in dollars .B  We are all on budgets
otherwise this

would be Friends of Ferrari or Friends of Aston Martin or some such thing.

If you love the car and have a vision for it's future just go for it and don't
listen to people that

try to put a value on your car.

just my .02.

Jim G.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
To: "Shawn Frank" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:28:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR8 direction

Hi,

There's a "wedge" mail list that might be a place to fish for advice on
TR8's... you might want to sign up for that.

My vote: race car.

The sale price of TR8's is hovering at close to zero, so if you buy one
and toss bags -o -money at it, you'll still have a TR8 worth close to
zero. Sad, ut true.

That said, there's a bunch of folks on the wedge list that cater to TR8
and B performance, so it's a pretty good place to start.

regards,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang B  B  B  B  B  B  B Triumph TR6!! B  B  B  B  B  B | B This space for
rent
Former NER Solo Chair B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B |
Voice:617-253-7438 B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  | B Cell:
339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Shawn Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:13:54 -0800 (PST)

I will have to get this thing out on track then. Thanks everyone, and glad to spark great conversation. I would love to find out more about a TR7/TR8 type of class. I am more of a Spitfire/TR6 type of guy, but have recently driven a TR4 and loved it. We have a TR4A that will be finished soon for Drive Away Cancer Iowa. I don't think we will be racing that, but I definitely plan to try out the TR8 and know I will be auto crossing my Spitfire. There aren't but a couple vintage cars that auto cross around here. I hope to spark more interest in the vintage auto crossing. Maybe if I bring 3 cars to the auto crosses, others will bring more. I feel all alone here in Des Moines...Shawn
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Doug Mitchell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 08:16:07 -0500

If anyone is interested, I have a photo of the Buick engine on a stand taken
at the GM Heritage Center
in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

I sort of keep looking for a TR8 as there is a family connection to the
engine. I need to get rid of the
Stag before I can even think about bringing home another car. There is one
near me for sale, but I
just don't have the space for one at this time.

Doug

--
Doug Mitchell
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:06 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR8 direction

More than a few people think that aluminum engine is one of the best 
engines ever built.  We had one in a Buick mid-sized convertible, and it was
a 
great little car.  Pound for pound...it sure had a lot of power.

Bill Dentinger

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]