Subject: Re: [Fot] TR8 direction

From: "R. John Lye" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:22:33 -0500

Race car!

John

On Wed, December 12, 2012 8:23 am, Shawn Frank wrote:
> We have a TR8 sitting in front of us. Input on what you think we should do
> with it? It is in good shape, no rust, decent paint, soft top, doesn't
> start
> and has been garaged for more than 5 years. What should we do with it???
> HELP!   Shawn
>
>
> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Munson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 08:27:03 -0600

Carb or FI? Each have their idiosyncrasies.

Sent from my iPhone

start
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:45:49 -0500

Could it be a "street able track day car"?

You'd get more seat time and pleasure for your money and leave a door open to
further convert to full race later.

It would make an excellent race car for sure.

Sent from my iPhone

start
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Dennis Delap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 08:55:21 -0600

Who is we?
I'd say get it to run, get all of the systems back into working order, drive
the car to see if you like it then decide what to do with it.
D

start
> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:45:33 -0600

WE have had a few TR8's in here.
You will have the usual fuel system and hydraulics movies to
attend.   If you are going to have fun with it on the street,
I would remove all the A/C stuff and put on an offy intake
with a small holly with center pivot floats.  Get some decent
rubber and call it good without a big investment.  Making it
serious fast will eat you alive.  If you don't want to fool
with it, contact me off group.

art de armond

-----Original Message----- 
From: Shawn Frank
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] TR8 direction

We have a TR8 sitting in front of us. Input on what you think we should do
with it? It is in good shape, no rust, decent paint, soft top, doesn't start
and has been garaged for more than 5 years. What should we do with it???
HELP!   Shawn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.2221 / Virus Database: 2634/5452 - Release Date: 12/11/12 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:10:04 -0500

I don't know, folks - most of this advice would apply to any of our cars - walk away?
If I cared about my wrench time and money I'd be racing a Miata.  Now, maybe a TR8 is not the one most of us love, but I bet they're a hoot to drive.
Go ahead - get it running - see if you like it.

On Dec 12, 2012, at 4:56 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

Give the owner $2000 and walk away from the car. You will save thousands of
dollars and many hundred of hours of your life in the long run.

Ed Woods (with credit to my brother Harvey for figuring this out years ago;
although I have rarely heeded this advice.)

----- Original Message -----

From: "Shawn Frank" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:23:25 AM
Subject: [Fot] TR8 direction

HELP! B  Shawn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:30:42 +0000

How did this list get taken over by such soulless, fun-sucking pragmatists???
;-)

My vote - Get it running and drive it for a while before you spend any money
on it.  Then fall in love with it and invest thousands of dollars and weekend
hours and either drive it on the street or turn it into a silly, impractical,
expensive race car.  Just like the rest of us.

Scott B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:57 PM
To: Shawn Frank
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR8 direction

----- Original Message -----

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Redmond <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:00:53 -0500

Fix it and drive the damn thing!

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 12, 2012, at 5:30 PM, "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:38:38 -0500

YES

Sent from my iPhone

start
> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:21:16 -0800

I own one.  Get it running and drive it for a while, then come back and ask
us.  Remember this started out as a GM engine, so crossover parts are
plentyful.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Shawn Frank
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] TR8 direction

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 08:13:04 -0500

We are a group of Triumph racers, we talk about race cars here. You opened 
the door, now you have to race it.     :-)

That being said... I have TR8 street car with all the right stuff done to it 
and holy crap... All that power on an 88 inch wheelbase with street tires 
will keep your attention. So, yeah,  it's a real hoot. But unlocking the 
potential of a stock TR8 is real money and time...

If you are starting with a stock example, take a long look at the specs from 
the factory. Then think of what it will cost to make it what you really 
want.

---

From: Ted Schumacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:27:37 -0500

Shawn, thanks for starting this discussion. We campaigned some of the 
most successful Wedge cars in the USA.  Competing in SCCA, our TR8 won 
many SCCA Nationals, always picked to win the SCCA Run-off's (it didn't, 
but my fault, not car's fault - details if anyone wants them).  Held 
multiple track records and very successful in the Playboy and Escort 
Endurance series, often beating factory backed cars from Ford, Chrysler, 
GM, Nissan, Mitsubishi and others. Along with the TR8, we also 
campaigned a TR7 in the Endurance series.  While not as fast as the V8, 
the TR7 held its own in class due to excellent handling and incredibly 
good fuel mileage.  We developed many of the performance parts for these 
cars including brake upgrades, sway bars, springs, strut tower braces, 
headers and more.  Coupes are far superior to roadsters, both it terms 
of structural integrity and top speed. Side by side testing at Road 
Atlanta showed several hundred rpm greater speed (both cars had same 
trans and diff gears).  This was on the original Road Atlanta back 
straight before they turned it into the current"neutered" version (read 
this no dip at end of straight) Remember if it is a roadster, it has to 
race with top down.  We also supplied data to Edlebrock when they 
designed the 4V intake manifold for this engine. Our normal street V8 in 
3.5L form is 250hp.  Over 320 hp for the larger displacement 4.0/4.6L 
engines.  Rust issues at the strut tower to inner fender well junction 
and where the rear lower trailing arms attach to the sheet metal are the 
biggest problems. Patching a rusted fender is not a big deal. Remember 
this is a uni-body car so things are different from racing a car with a 
frame.  Rover/TR8 engine is far superior to it's Buick ancestor. We 
normally have 30 - 40 V8 engines in stock. HP figures for TR7 are 130 - 
40 with no major "engine life threatening mods.
Yes, John Clancy has a good DVD on the car - "Code name Bullet". And all 
his videos are still on sale for $21 w/shipping through the first of the 
year. Let's hear it for the "flying doorstops". Ted

On 12/12/2012 8:23 AM, Shawn Frank wrote:
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Ted Schumacher
[email-masked]
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com
108 S. Jefferson St.
Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
Fax: 419.384.3272 (24 Hrs.)
Phone: 800.543.6648 (US & Canada)
Tech/ Gen. Information/ Worldwide: 419.384.3022
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Jerry Barr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:00:31 -0600

You know the Miata is a better car and much easier to make it go fast. If I
didn't have so many projects I would buy the TR8 to save you from making a
huge mistake.

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf
start
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]