Subject: Re: [Fot] Coil Overs at the Rear

From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:59:36 -0500

Charles, there are some set ups out there for the GT6 if you want a completely
new/more modern set up. I think PRI sells what looks like a good conversion.

Im on a budget so I took the 15 dollar route and simply added a helper spring
to the top of the tired old transverse leaf stack. I bought a 2000# trailer
spring at princess auto, used the longest leaf, de-arched it to achieve a
lower ride height and slipped it under the top plate that bolts down onto leaf
set up.  It was simple, cheap and easy to install and works really well.  It's
nice that I didn't even have to pull the main leaf out in order to do this and
could out the helper easily and adjust the arch if need be.

I left in the rotoflex setup and run on performance street tires. I figure I'm
less likely to break a hub or axle that way but that's just my opinion.  When
I have a few grand to blow I may do the rear conversion.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2012-12-19, at 9:05 AM, "Charles WATSON" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Friends:
>
> I see a lot of folks in various marquees (including Triumphs) using
coil-over
> shocks in the rear to supplement a tired leaf-spring.  I noticed Ratco is
> selling this as an upgrade to the TR suspension.  My question, especially
with
> regard to a rotoflex axle in my GT6 is, why not?
>
> benefits seem to be:
> - spring travels same path as shock
> - easily adjustable spring rate and height
>
> downsides:
> - possible space limitations (probably avoidable when going from donut to
CV)
> - what am I missing???
>
> If you're redoing the entire suspension anyway, is this not a good way to
go?
> And if not, has anyone tried the composite "leaf" springs and saved the
40-50
> lbs of steel?
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chuck Watson
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Christopher Bock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:48:40 -0500

I did see the conversion from PRI.  It looks sweet and cool. If I had the
green I would go for it.

But...

What about using coil overs and just a single leaf. Use the coil over to do
the ride hight and ride control and let the leaf do the suspension geometry
movements.

Any thoughts on how that might work?

Isn't there a picture and a small comment about this in one of Kas books?

Chris

On Dec 19, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Vince G <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Charles WATSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:39:31 -0500

The question I am asking myself is: If this is a good idea then why didn't
Triumph build them that way when they first went to rotoflex (minor clearance
issues aside)?  It's not like the technology wasn't there yet.

Thanks,

Chuck Watson

> CC: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Fot] Coil Overs at the Rear
> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:48:40 -0500
> To: [email-masked]
>
green I would go for it.

---

From: Chuck Gee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:04:06 -0800

Most of us haven't done this because of a rules limitation.  Make sure you
check with the organization you plan on racing with before spending the
money.

Chuck

On Dec 19, 2012, at 12:39 PM, Charles WATSON <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> nice that I didn't even have to pull the main leaf out in order to do
this
> and
>>> I left in the rotoflex setup and run on performance street tires. I
figure
> I'm
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:09:16 -0600

> Sorry if this comes through twice, got bounced for "too long". Forgot to
> shorten original message...
> Anyway...
>

Unfortunately/ fortunately, there are lots of answers to these questions.
The pri independent rear looks neat.... but coil over shocks are
specifically mentioned as "not allowed" with all the vintage group's rules
that I looked at.
I think that here the important thing to understand is that we want a setup
that is lower and has limited travel. That's the nut shell. From the
beginning days of improvement the cautions have been cost and complexity.
You could get really complicated here and have lots of adjustments and
options. I'm not sure any of that matters. What I want, and what is fast,
is a setup that doesn't move much, never bottoms out, and is stronger than
stock. Looks like Vince found a way to do that for 15.00 (Smart)
There are several ways to go down this road and some are more complex than
others
The important basics are mainly a stiffer spring, stronger axles, and
better hubs.
Steve and Chuck seem to have made great strides in development here with
the use of the 240Z axle set.
Older versions, like mine.... use TR6 axles and Corvair CV joints (39 years
old) or perhaps with custom made billet axles and hubs (and of coarse good
hard shocks).
Whatever is done and with what parts... essentially all need to accomplish
the same thing....give the proper spring height. which in turn gives the
proper camber. For the record, about perfect for a race GT6 is 3/4 degree
negative. In terms of an acceptable maximum and minimum we are looking for
a number of 1 to 1/2 negative. Any beefy set-up in that rage will be fine
Keep it simple, make it strong.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:39:08 -0800 (PST)

As far a coil overs on the rear of a GT6? I'm not an engineer buy on the MKII 
and MKIII the shock towere is on the inside of the wheel well... I don't think 
there is enough clearance without major modification to the wheel well to adapt 
a mounting point.
I believe the MKI used a shock mount that mounted somewhat to the frame inside 
the back of the wheel well... I think there is a modification that I bought from 
Rimmer Brothers a few years ago to attempt this type of mod... it went back and 
forth with them because there was a bushing size issue or a clearance type 
issue... they finally refunded the whole purchase price without asking for the 
bits and pieces back... maybe a few years later (I haven't looked) they got the 
specifics right....

Bobby 

________________________________
From: Christopher Bock <[email-masked]>
To: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Cc: FOT List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, December 19, 2012 10:52:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Coil Overs at the Rear

But...

Chris

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Chuck Gee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:44:24 -0800

Just use the Spitfire mounting points to get the clearance.  You might need to
find the brackets that mount to the frame.

Chuck

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 15:52:09 +0000

I feel sure Joe Curry will chime in here, but some part of that solution might
be what's available on his web page.  http://spitlist.info/Shock.Mounts.htm
No provision for coil-overs there, though there might be enough space with
street tires.

For my street GT6, I've been contemplating this issue.  The rear spring needs
replacing - again.  I've owned the car for 16 years and I've replaced the
spring at least twice, maybe three times already.  Gotta go for one of those
composite springs this time, or some sort of coil-over solution.

Scott B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Chuck Gee
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:44 AM
To: Bobby Whitehead
Cc: FoT Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] Coil Overs at the Rear

Chuck