Subject: [Fot] TR2 Cylinder Head Studs

From: "M&M Hado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:48:25 -0600

I was just finishing up a TR2 engine rebuild and one of the 9.5" studs
stripped the threads in the block at the bottom of the 4" hole when I got to
about 70 ft-lb.  Has anyone successfully put a HeliCoil at the bottom of
this hole?  

The original size of the hole in the block is about 17/32" (just enough to
accommodate the 1/2" stud, of course) and this happens to be the tap drill
size for the 1/2-13 HeliCoil.  The OD of the HeliCoil itself is about .615"
so that means I would have to drill out the hole in the block to something
larger than this - say 5/8" and save about an inch at the bottom for tapping
for the HeliCoil.  I'm wondering if there is enough meat in the block to
drill out the hole to 5/8".

Having gone this far, I really would like to save this block so any
ideas/hints/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Hado
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:45:08 -0600

The Standard Vanguard was 2088 cc's and power rating was 68 hp at 4300 rpm,
whereas the 1990 cc TR2 engine (same stroke, 1mm smaller bore) produced 90 hp
at 4800 rpm.  I have read a story about Standard factory engineers visiting
Australian David van Dal after getting wind of the level of power he claimed
to have wrung out of the Standard Vanguard in his early Morgan Plus Four.
Dubious at first, apparently they learned something from this innovative
racer.

I'm not sure about the stud diameter, but it seems likely they were upgraded
too.

Duncan

On Dec 21, 2012, at 3:47 PM, Randall wrote:

>> The factory did make them short -- on the Standard Vanguard
>> engine that preceded the TR engine.
>
> Didn't it also use smaller studs, and make about half as much power?
>
> -- Randall

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 13:47:46 -0800

-- Randall