Subject: [Fot] TR6 old race car

From: "Richard Good" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 14:15:28 -0500

I have an oppurtunity to by an older TR6 car that was a racer in the past. The
car has been laid up for many years. The car comes with the racing log book.
Is there any value to purchasing a car with a log book. The car itsef is in
bad shape and has little value.Thanks.

Richard Good
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 09:43:02 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/07/2012 8:27:05 AM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I remember a few years ago that VSCCA was not allowing MGA cars that had 
> not
> been race cars in the past to enter. Seems that there were so many folks
> building their street cars into race cars they feared it would be like a
> huge spec class! I think that restriction is no longer in effect, but I'd
> keep the logbook and whatever it takes to build a reincarnation of the TR6
> just in case. 
> 

Clark...

Early on many key movers and shakers within VSCDA went out of their way to 
keep the fold made up of 'certified old race cars' from the so-called 
'Golden Days of Sports Car Racing'.  And the bluer their blood...the better.  Not 
only that, I can't tell you how many times I heard officers and directors 
say, "We don't want race grids made up of a bunch of rusty TR3s."  Since I was 
racing an early TR3, that hurt my feelings.  At that time you could not 
race a Triumph TR4 with the VSCDA."  Bob Wismer asked then President (and 
founder) John Kleen, "When will the Triumph TR4 be approved."  John Kleen 
answered, "Never!"  We owe John Kleen because he was certainly the Founding Father 
and is responsible for the early success of the VSCDA.  In those days the 
race grids were made up of incredible museum pieces...out there on the 
track...running at speed.  That was a joy to behold.  But no matter how pretty, 
small fields won't pay the bills.  So soon the rules were eased, eventually the 
museum pieces stayed home, and life went on with grids made up of lots of 
production based sports cars, many of whom were recently converted into race 
cars.  In the process, a lot of 'problems' were solved and now they go 
really fast.  That too...is a joy to behold.

Just a little history, folks.  No political position intended.

Bill Dentinger