Subject: Re: [Fot] trt 3/4 head gasket

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:36:54 -0600

I use a stock composite gasket and will get a season out of it.  I 
was at about 0.175 milled, am now at 0.130 after my last head gasket 
problem turned out to be a collapsing combustion chamber in the head 
problem.  I don't have giant valves (they clear the 87 mm liners), so 
I notched the liner to match the "mickey ear" of the stock gasket so 
there was something supporting it on one side in the pocket that 
disappeared.  I put the seam side against the liner then.

Tony Drews

At 12:18 PM 11/10/2012, [email-masked] wrote:
>anyone having success with the stock composite head gasket on a milled
>head. my head has been milled .150" and the intake valve pockets are 
>gone.  i'm
>not having much luck with the steel gasket.
>thanks, ken m. tr 3 vintage racer.
>_______________________________________________
>[email-masked]
>
>http://www.fot-racing.com
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 20:22:08 -0500

Like Tony we use a stock Payen gasket notched to fit the larger valve with no
problem. My take is that one must make sure the head & block are flat & true &
properly installed.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 15, 2012, at 12:36 AM, Tony Drews <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I use a stock composite gasket and will get a season out of it.  I was at
about 0.175 milled, am now at 0.130 after my last head gasket problem turned
out to be a collapsing combustion chamber in the head problem.  I don't have
giant valves (they clear the 87 mm liners), so I notched the liner to match
the "mickey ear" of the stock gasket so there was something supporting it on
one side in the pocket that disappeared.  I put the seam side against the
liner then.
>> head. my head has been milled .150" and the intake valve pockets are gone.
i'm
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:41:58 -0500 (EST)

Ditto...Using Payen for several years now and has been one less thing to worry
about.

Joe Alexander

Subject: Re: [Fot] trt 3/4 head gasket

Like Tony we use a stock Payen gasket notched to fit the larger valve with no
problem. My take is that one must make sure the head & block are flat & true
&
properly installed.

Sent from my iPhone

i'm

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 08:59:06 -0700

I pulled the head off of mine a few mons back. If folks recall, I broke 7 of 8
tops of the outer valve springs and one inner.  I am fixing that and checking
geometry.

I do have oversized valves and 89 bore, and I found my Payen A330 gasket was
burnt where the gasket was not ground back.  My sleeves are not ground back as
well.

Can you grind back the copper Payen gasket with no issues? I will be
feathering back the sleeves as well.

Also, does anyone know the correct valve spring height?

Thx

Ty

Sent from my iPad
(Please excuse any errors or typos)

>>> head. my head has been milled .150" and the intake valve pockets are
gone.
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:54:16 -0600

You can't really "grind back" the composite gasket and still have it 
seal.  You need to gingerly uncrimp the sandwich around the valve 
pocket, then cut back the inner asbestos-like material, then gingerly 
recrimp the two copper sides back together.  It's easy to tear the 
copper in the process.

Tony

At 09:59 AM 11/24/2012, [email-masked] wrote:
>I pulled the head off of mine a few mons back. If folks recall, I 
>broke 7 of 8 tops of the outer valve springs and one inner.  I am 
>fixing that and checking geometry.
>
>I do have oversized valves and 89 bore, and I found my Payen A330 
>gasket was burnt where the gasket was not ground back.  My sleeves 
>are not ground back as well.
>

---

From: Kas Kastner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:58:03 +0000

If you try to cut back a composite gasket you have a good chance of having the
thin copper face parts facing into  the flame of combustion which is going
heat the copper red hot quickly, this will start pre-ignition and then
detonation. Result, dead engine. In a few words. DON'T DO IT.

Never be beaten by equipment
 > From: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 08:59:06 -0700
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> > Like Tony we use a stock Payen gasket notched to fit the larger valve
with
> no
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Yahoo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:59:06 -0700

Thanks Kas! I need all the advice I can get.

Happy Holidays

Ty

Sent from my iPhone

'63 Triumph TR4 DP Racecar
'62 Triumph TR4 RestoMod (Project)
++++

On Nov 24, 2012, at 12:58 PM, Kas Kastner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If you try to cut back a composite gasket you have a good chance of having
the thin copper face parts facing into  the flame of combustion which is going
heat the copper red hot quickly, this will start pre-ignition and then
detonation. Result, dead engine. In a few words. DON'T DO IT.
> > > Ditto...Using Payen for several years now and has been one less thing
to
> > worry
with
> > > the "mickey ear" of the stock gasket so there was something supporting
it
> > on
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Yahoo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:06:17 -0700

The car came with a new steel gasket. I will take some measurements to see how
thick it is.

Thanks Tony

Ty

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 24, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Tony Drews <[email-masked]> wrote:

> You can't really "grind back" the composite gasket and still have it seal.
You need to gingerly uncrimp the sandwich around the valve pocket, then cut
back the inner asbestos-like material, then gingerly recrimp the two copper
sides back together.  It's easy to tear the copper in the process.
>> I pulled the head off of mine a few mons back. If folks recall, I broke 7
of 8 tops of the outer valve springs and one inner.  I am fixing that and
checking geometry.
>>
>> I do have oversized valves and 89 bore, and I found my Payen A330 gasket
was burnt where the gasket was not ground back.  My sleeves are not ground
back as well.
>> > Like Tony we use a stock Payen gasket notched to fit the larger valve
with no
gone.