Subject: Re: [Fot] Fuel Cell Questions

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:42:33 -0500

On the subject of vents. We autocross the spitfire some also and the hard
jolts back and forth would tend to slosh gas out the vent tube even when we
ran it up and looped it a couple of times. Since it exited the trunk floor
near the exhaust it was not a good combination. We fabbed up a small catch can
roughly 4x4x4 and mounted it on the floor of the trunk. The vent tube ran from
the cell to the top of the catch can. A second vent tube came out of the top
of the catch can and exited through the floor of the trunk. The bottom of
catch can has a petcock that also goes out the floor of the trunk that is used
to drain off any gas at an appropriate time. That did the trick for us.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Norlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 20:05:02 -0800

I'm using an 8 gallon Fuel Safe cell.  Never had a problem with overflow 
in the vent tube, but then I only run about 4-5 gallons max.  The vent 
hose is one of the clear plastic, nylon braided hoses available from 
Home Depot.  I attached it to an Aeroquip fitting and it works fine.  I 
got a small in-line plastic check valve from Pegasus I think and shoved 
it into the hose a couple of inches. Allows air in and no fuel out.  
Photos available on request.

_______________________________________________ [email-masked] 
http://www.fot-racing.com Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html 
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:24:42 -0700

On 11/28/2012 8:42 PM, marty sukey wrote:
> near the exhaust it was not a good combination.

This would seem to be a perfect application for a vacuum break check 
valve.  There are fuel-proof check valves of this type available, and in 
operation, they are normally closed until there is a differential 
between atmosphere and the tank interior, then open just long enough to 
equalize pressures.  One of those installed before the loop in the vent 
tube would effectively end the problem of fuel sloshing out.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#spring-check-valves/=kda0b8

A differential of a third of a psi to open would probably be negligible 
as far as fuel delivery goes, and it's doubtful sloshed fuel in a 
vertical pipe would cause it to open.  The oil- and diesel-proof valve 
might not last quite as long when used with gasoline, but, they're 
pretty cheap compared to the cost of the fuel cell--or the cost of 
hauling to an event and then getting black-flagged for leaking fuel.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:24:43 -0700

I just attached a hose to the vent  and ran it high enough that any slosh
would be contained and drain back to the tank.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of marty sukey
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:43 PM
To: FOT
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fuel Cell Questions

 On the subject of vents. We autocross the spitfire some also and the hard
jolts back and forth would tend to slosh gas out the vent tube even when we
ran it up and looped it a couple of times. Since it exited the trunk floor
near the exhaust it was not a good combination. We fabbed up a small catch
can
roughly 4x4x4 and mounted it on the floor of the trunk. The vent tube ran
from
the cell to the top of the catch can. A second vent tube came out of the top
of the catch can and exited through the floor of the trunk. The bottom of
catch can has a petcock that also goes out the floor of the trunk that is
used
to drain off any gas at an appropriate time. That did the trick for us.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:59:06 -0500

I received a few words of advice on my "situation", thanks much they are
appreciated. Let me add....  The fuel sloshing out condition showed up when I
first got the car. I checked and it did have a check valve. I took it out and
there did not really appear that there was any way for it to not function, at
least visually so I re-installed it.  Originally the vent went to the top of
the inner fender and then straight down, no loop.  I do not remember how much
gas I had in the cell, maybe I just had it to full.  Anyway, I really really
didn't like the gas coming out onto the exhaust so the catch can was installed
as a redundant system as well as adding a loop in the vent tank.  Since I have
put in this so called fix I honestly cannot remember ever draining any gas out
of the catch can after a event.  So maybe it was a big waste of time but it
made me more at ease never having to be wondering if gas might be possibly
splashing out when I am at  the wheel.  And heaven knows, I need lots less to
worry about when I am behind the wheel!  :)

Marty

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:01:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

My fuel cell has a "check valve" in the vent tube, so positive pressure 
from fuel in the vent closes the valve and there's no spilling. Ever. I'm 
pretty sure that the check valve is required in road racing "in case of a 
rollover". That seemed like a good idea to me at the time.

I'm pretty sure I have the 8 gallon Fuel Safe cell (aluminum case, kevlar 
bladder and foam with the internal surge can and pickups in both front 
corners. It works great. Actually, I'm thinking about replacing the foam 
as it is now 14 years old. But I also use nothing but 110 leaded race 
fuel, so there's no degredation on the fuel lines or anything.

regards,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]