Subject: [Fot] Re J-type OD enhancements for racing

From: "Enquiries Road & Track" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:51:31 +1000

it seems most of you are talking about A type stuff, none of this is
relevant to the posters query on J type

if anyone wants a really tuff A type, then look for the ones made by
Italians A.E. Bianci under licence to Laycock, for Ferrari (330 models etc
up to 1965 when the 5 speed came into use). These use the "conventional"
Laycock front case but have a much bigger rear case with huge planet gears
and pins, to better handle the torque of the big ferrari

for the J type. we use modified Dolomite Sprint & Volvo ones as they have a
fuller front case making it less likely to distort. I still have the
laycock drawing re mods to the pistons in the early versions of these
o/d's, but as these have not been around for years , it is probably
irrelevant.

best to start with a unit from early 80's Volvo 244 or go buy a brand new
one from Gear Vendors in USA

the changes needed to the J type for race use are:

   - open up the Z port drilling
   - shim up annulus gear to reduce clutch travel to its absolute minimum
   - check the lining & carrier is true and not wobbling (this causes
   erratic contact patches)
   - fit new nitrided planet gear pins & cryo treat the gears & needle
   bearings
   - very careful assembly of the hydraulic valve in the solenoid

we get about 3-4 years racing per rebuild. we have no noticeable slippage
on change and can make a change into overdrive faster that a change of
gears. by using a carefully selected ratio set, we can get a very useable
3rd overdrive which we race with all the time in our Historic 2.5PI

Terry O' Beirne
Australia
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]