Subject: [Fot] TR4 - Carbs, cams and distributors

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:30:16 -0500

Just writing to say thanks to all for input, and providing an update on where
this all shook out.
It started with SU piston clatter and looking for causes - Henry Frye and
others suggested I'd better start with the basics and check cam timing and
lash.  Turns out it was off by a tooth plus four degrees (the offset between
the choice of bolt holes on the gear).  The BFE M23-108 cam is now dialed in
to specs.
A leak-down test also gave perfect results - 5% or less across the board.
I also shipped the crank-triggered ignition module that was in the car off to
the manufacturer and they confirmed that it was not firing consistently
throughout the rev range, and at 15 years old or more, was not repairable.
Several of you suggested going back to a Lucas distributor (hmmm, really?) and
I got a "rebuilt" one through Jeff at Advanced Distributors.  This is clearly
better than new, both in appearance and in re-engineering, and cheaper than
almost any alternative.  Jeff says good durability and no points scatter up to
10,000 RPM , waaay above the 7,000 this engine is good for.

The E-prod TR4 now runs and sounds great with no carb clatter, idles at 1200,
and revs nicely (in the garage, anyway) so the real test will be Summit Point
- Turkey Bowl - Thanksgiving weekend.  Hope it's not snowing!  After that,
I'll have to decide whether to take this car back to vintage specs or keep it
around as-is, with fiberglass flares and racing slicks.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]