Subject: [Fot] Fuel Cell Questions

From: "Rocky Entriken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:09:59 -0600

Hey, Hey, I got the dipstick too and I love it! And it gets hot in Kansas
too. Yes, on  some days the fuel evaporates quickly, so look quicker. :-)
Okay, so sometimes I check it 2-3 times to be confident I have a good
reading. Still beats guessing.

I got the 8-gal Sport Cell too, for my Spitfire. I had ATL put the dipstick
hole in the aluminum box. Only problem was, they didn't put a hole in the
foam inside, so when I got it I had to dismantle it, pull the foam out, and
make a hole. LOL  Not like that was any big deal. And I'll second the notion
that the ATL folks were very helpful.

I found if you take a blade and score the dipstick in about 1" increments,
each inch is just about a gallon.

I also got mine with double duckfoot pickups inside the cell, one goes to
each rear corner and each feeds its own fuel pump (Holley Red, which then go
to a tee, and then the line to the carbs). Never a problem with fuel
starvation in the turns. Holley Red pumps about 7 psi, I have a Holley
regulator up front to cut the flow to 2.5 psi to the carbs. I have a
no-tools test port tight by the tee.

And yes, I also put the vent tube in the same way Steve described. One thing
I learned is don't put 8 gallons in the 8-gallon cell. It'll overflow out
that vent tube and sometimes corner workers get all excited that you're
"leaking." To forestall that somewhat I also created a "fuel surge
attenuator" to attach to the vent tube -- I cut a finger off a cloth work
glove and wired it to the end of the tube. :-D  A seven gallon fill will get
you as far as you need to go.

I had my favorite body shop create me a cradle out of angle iron to mount
it. It hangs from the inner side plates since it's cut through the floor,
and a tailpipe bracket is welded to the bottom of the cradle (no it doesn't
get hot).

--Rocky Entriken

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "steve" <[email-masked]>
To: "FOT List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fuel Cell Questions

>I have the ATL "Sports Series" and bought a few upgrades including the 
>aluminum box and the fancy dipstick.  Don't get the dipstick.  It's black 
>hard plastic and when you pull it out, the fuel has already evaporated and 
>you can't see the level!  I would suggest an 8 gallon tank so that you have 
>a little room in the trunk around the tank.  In my TR3, the spare tire 
>compartment was cut out to allow the cell to sit down in there, nice and 
>low.
>
> One of the fittings on the top of the cell is for a vent tube.  The tubing 
> should arc up and then down to the underside of the car so that it can 
> suck air to replace the fuel that is being consumed.  If the car were to 
> roll, this tube would then be right-side up and not pour gas.
>
> I am happy with the ATL and the folks there were helpful over the phone.
>
> Another good recommendation, while you have the tank out, is to weld in a 
> little "intrusion bar" to protect the tank in case you get hit from 
> behind.
>
> ~Steve
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]