Subject: Re: [Fot] Steering shaft u-joint TR-4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:48:36 -0400 (EDT)

Here's another vote for the TR6 joints...all metal and a direct bolt in.  The
units with the "rag joint" are only outdone on the the "crummy scale" by the
units with eight conical "faucet washers" holding it all together.  I do a lot
of tech for the local clubs and can't even count all of the bad, torn or
extremely loose joints I've found.  Some were so bad the cars weren't allowed
on the track until the joints were fixed.

All cars that come thru the shop with any of the rag/taper washer setups
automatically get the solid joints installed...now that's really a "safety
upgrade" ...unlike the song and dances I've heard for brakes, engines,
trannies...oh wait that's a different rant!

Still tryin to keep it vintage...
Nick in Norcal

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
To: fot <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Oct 14, 2012 6:53 pm
Subject: [Fot] Steering shaft u-joint TR-4

My steering shaft has two u-joints in it.  The lower one is a big
beefy cast thing that I bought from Moss to replace the big beefy
cast thing that was there before.  The upper one isn't quite as heavy
duty looking but does a much better job of actually clamping onto the
shaft.  I've tightened the sh** out of the lower big beefy one and
it's still not as tightly clamped as I'd like.

So...  Where can I buy alternate u-joints for the TR-4 steering shaft?

Look forward to the advice.

Tony Drews

PS - article on front suspension swap to TR-6 stuff is still coming.
_______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:38:59 -0500

/local/mailman/lynxXXXXcTElpR: Permission denied
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:05:09 -0700

Seiously guys, the TR6 joints are crap too. I used them on my street TR3 rack
and pinion conversion, but they're not much compared to the modern stuff. It's
not a competitive advantage, just pure safety. SAE considers 5/8" shafts to be
marginal and 3/4" to be appropriate. For the same price of the original stuff
you can get 3/4" double d with hefty universals that have needle bearings
twice the size of the TR6 stuff. Your choice, your butt.

On Oct 15, 2012, at 5:48 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]