Subject: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 17:01:22 +0000 (UTC)

Chris,

If you like that we'll have to get you out punkin chunkin one of these days.

jim g

----- Original Message -----

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
To: "Bill Babcock" <[email-masked]>, "Scott Janzen" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Triumph 'Friends of Triumph'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 10:40:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

"flung" - that's a nice word. Never heard it before. I like it. Have to look
what it means.
Ah, I see. Catapult language.

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Bill Babcock
Gesendet: Montag, 22. Oktober 2012 18:09
An: Scott Janzen
Cc: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph'
Betreff: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

Gee, maybe I shouldn't have flung all those Lucas dizzies with my catapult.

We do know that Mallory's come apart every so often. The stops break off and
the weights mill the insides. If you're running points all that aluminum
dust ends your race, while if you have a pertronix, it doesn't.
On Oct 22, 2012, at 9:01 AM, Scott Janzen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I had an informative talk with Jeff at Advanced Distributors this morning.
He recommended a 45D Lucas with a 25D shaft assembly, cuz the larger
diameter of the 45 cap eliminates cross-fire issues. B He balances the
assembly, puts in a full length shaft bushing, and makes some other
improvements. B He uses a high quality cap with added ribbing, and says it
does not flex, fits tightly and does not have the problems of most
replacement caps available. B He also supplies rotors (red) made for him. B He
says he can run the single points set-up to 10,000 rpm on his machine
without scatter. B My unit will be set up with advance of 18 degrees at idle
(1500 rpm) going to full advance by 3000 rpm.
>
> Of interest to me was the comments he had about Mallory, which is what
> I
have in the GT6. B He was very critical of the light springs, which he said
stretch and cause scatter at all rpms. B The shaft bushings don't last, and
the plastic bushings on the centrifugal weights don't last either. B He
indicated that these units ought to rebuilt once a year, but stay in spec
for only a few months, and doesn't recommend them for that reason. B I
mentioned that inserting the Unilite electronic module in mine seemed to
have cured the scatter I saw with a timing light, and he responded that the
electronic unit masks the scatter from poor bushings, but it's still there.
He will rebuild these, but says it's not cost-effective in the long run.
>
> So, there's a modified Lucas 45 on the way for the TR4, with points
> for now,
at a very reasonable price. B He doesn't need cores at this point - has 1500
on hand.
>
> Thanks to the group for all the feedback.
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]