Subject: Re: [Fot] Reg Compliance - Your Feedback

From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:49:05 -0500

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Charles WATSON <[email-masked]> wrote:

"One issue I would like some feedback on is regulation
compliance."

Ah, Yes, reasonable concern.
You are lucky with the GT6 in that most tech inspectors won't have too many
other cars to compare it too. My general feeling is that, within
reason, don't worry to much about the regulations.
First, and most important thing is to build the car to be safe and
reliable. Use the few FOT cars out there as design models and focus on
suspension and drive train solidity first. We are all very willing to share
our "secrets." FYI, almost all the GT6 race cars currently
being campaigned are not technically legal for one reason or another and,
as you say, for that matter.... just about any Triumph car you saw at the
Mitty. But, they (usually) have been modified beyond the regulations based
on consistent and recurring failures. And over the years, some regulations
have even been amended to allow for (previously) forbidden mods.
Do your homework and use what has been proven to work and don't be afraid
to think outside the box. as Scott said yesterday... no prize money here.
You will be spending a lot of money no matter what... so try to be sure to
use what has worked for one of us right off the bat. (and will not have to
be done twice)... ask lots of specific questions.
I would worry about internal motor mods and advanced horse power stuff
last. Build a solid foundation that can finish races. Then build better
motors as time goes on (to that solid foundation). As you learn and sort
the car. (baby steps)
Really cool to see these new cars being built... happy to give any
info/help you need.
Build a winner you can be proud of, And realize that a 1972 rule book has
no investment in your project,
but you sure do.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
1969 Triumph GT6+

_______________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "RACER BUD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:11:59 -0700

If you are going to race vintage....I recommend that you stay in close touch 
with the eligibility chairman, etc of the sanctioning body that you want 
your car approved for...If you are in doubt about anything...call him for 
advice, and keep a log...
Have fun
Racer Bud..spitfire #21...CSRG
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jason Ostrowski" <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles WATSON" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "FOT List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Reg Compliance - Your Feedback

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Kas Kastner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:12:43 +0000

Great letter. Sound all the way. Speaking of sound, you'll love that too.

Never be beaten by equipment
 > Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:49:05 -0500
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:56:53 -0400

Jason. Do you include 5 speed transmissions, 4 piston calipers, slotted &
drilled discs, Weber carbs, 50 profile tires on 7 inch rims as regulation
violations not to worry about?  Safety, reliability type transgressions are
fine, but the other stuff is, in my opinion, beyond the sprit of the rules.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 10, 2012, at 6:12 PM, Kas Kastner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:56:29 -0500

-----Original Message-----
> From: John Hasty
>
>
> "Jason. Do you include 5 speed transmissions, 4 piston calipers, slotted &
> fine, but the other stuff is, in my opinion, beyond the sprit of the rules."

John,

No, that's perhaps why my car doesn't have any of that stuff. Key words,
WITHIN REASON. You should know by now that I fully promote the use of
Triumph parts and period correct parts. But I also wouldn't fault a guy for
looking for a reasonable fix to 3 blown transmissions in a season. And
quite frankly any organization that would require you to use sub-par
equipment simply to adhere to a 40 year old formula of "Fairness" seems to
be digging its own grave. Bud's point about being open with your
sanctioning body is important here. I think different cars require
different mods (even for vintage) and should be classed accordingly.
Otherwise, you are essentially requiring wasting $.
I think that certain case by case analysis of this issue is reasonable.
Most importantly, I don't like my Triumph friends being beaten by cars with
lots of brand new parts that are available "off the shelf" by certain
German and Japanese brands. We need to be able to have at least a limited
access to similar parts as cars we are racing against.  I'm not condoning
any V8 drop-ins here, yet I wholeheartedly support our TRIUMPH FRIENDs that
are developing various modern solutions to help with obvious difficulty in
trying to race safely in a 40+ year old car.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing

---

From: Kas Kastner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:34:49 +0000

We of course were never allowed anything but the stock box with the alternate
ratios.  We did not have very much trouble with he box.  I think primarily
because all the parts in the car and from the parts department were new
FACTORY pieces. I think the clubs should allow  the five speed .  It is silly
to see people spend so much money and lost track time when ancient pieces.

 > Subject: RE: [Fot] Reg Compliance - Your Feedback
> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 06:43:53 -0500
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
>
> << Jason. Do you include 5 speed transmissions,  >>
>
> And, in the case of GT6s, yes I definitely include 5-speed
> transmissions.  One argument frequently made in the cause of originality
> and fairness is that the stock parts wouldn't have such failure problems
> if we didn't use cheater parts to build engines that produce far more
> horsepower than was available "back in the day".  However, even in my
> very mildly-tuned STREET GT6 Which I used to use for 5 or 6 track days a
> year, I went through three transmissions in two years.  I very quickly
> decided that a nice Toyota 5-speed conversion was a good idea, rules or
> no rules.  The ratios are very close to the same, including the 5th gear
> which is the same is the as the stock overdrive ratio.  Kas, I can't
> imagine how you kept the transmissions together back in the day.  Did
> you just rebuild them between every race?
>
> Scott B.
>
>
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Jason Ostrowski
> Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:56 PM
> To: John Hasty; Kas Kastner
> Cc: fot
> > "Jason. Do you include 5 speed transmissions, 4 piston calipers,
> > slotted & drilled discs, Weber carbs, 50 profile tires on 7 inch rims
> > as regulation violations not to worry about?  Safety, reliability type
>
> > transgressions are fine, but the other stuff is, in my opinion, beyond
> the sprit of the rules."
>
>
> John,
>
> Triumph parts and period correct parts. But I also wouldn't fault a guy
> for looking for a reasonable fix to 3 blown transmissions in a season.
> And quite frankly any organization that would require you to use sub-par
> equipment simply to adhere to a 40 year old formula of "Fairness" seems
> to be digging its own grave. Bud's point about being open with your
> Most importantly, I don't like my Triumph friends being beaten by cars
> with lots of brand new parts that are available "off the shelf" by
> certain German and Japanese brands. We need to be able to have at least
> a limited access to similar parts as cars we are racing against.  I'm
> not condoning any V8 drop-ins here, yet I wholeheartedly support our
> TRIUMPH FRIENDs that are developing various modern solutions to help
> with obvious difficulty in trying to race safely in a 40+ year old car.
>
> Jason Ostrowski
> Friendly Ghost Racing
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:36:22 -0400 (EDT)

Good for you, John.  This is, after all, VINTAGE racing.

Bill Dentinger

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
To: Kas Kastner <[email-masked]>
Cc: fot <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Oct 11, 2012 5:36 pm
Subject: Re: [Fot] Reg Compliance - Your Feedback

Jason. Do you include 5 speed transmissions, 4 piston calipers, slotted &
rilled discs, Weber carbs, 50 profile tires on 7 inch rims as regulation
iolations not to worry about?  Safety, reliability type transgressions are
ine, but the other stuff is, in my opinion, beyond the sprit of the rules.
Sent from my iPhone
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 22:33:21 -0400

My tr6 transmission transplant into my GT6 has been great!!! Especially compared to replacing the GT6 box every other race weekend.  I vote for adhering to four forward gears and Triumph stuff.

Sent from my mobile device 

On Oct 11, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Kas Kastner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:12:18 -0400

You small chassis Triumph racers, this probably does not apply to you...

Keep in mind a properly prepared Triumph gearbox that is used with a 
reasonable amount of care will last a long time. The recipe to get a box to 
shift right in race conditions and last many weekends is extraordinarly 
simple, build it to the bottom end of the clearance specs in the book. You 
either have to build the gearbox yourself, or insist your rebuilder take the 
time required to set every clearance as tight as the spec allows.

Most importantly, remember when on track what you are not driving a modern 
gearbox. Show it a little sympathy,  it will last.

Or, spend the bucks on the T5 conversion. I don't care, it means more TR 
gearbox bits available for me!

Henry
[email-masked]

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Scott Janzen" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Reg Compliance - Your Feedback

> My tr6 transmission transplant into my GT6 has been great!!! Especially 
> compared to replacing the GT6 box every other race weekend.  I vote for 
> adhering to four forward gears and Triumph stuff.

---

From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:48:04 -0400

I will be rebuilding my gearbox so thank you for this advice....

Sent from my iPhone

>> adhering to four forward gears and Triumph stuff.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]