Subject: Re: [Fot] Carrillo Rod Bolts

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 17:09:02 +0200

Replace them with ARP bolts if possible.

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von marty sukey
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2012 15:59
An: FOT
Betreff: [Fot] Carrillo Rod Bolts

Rod bolt question for you experts.  I latched onto a used set of Carrillo
rods for my next spitfire engine.  I figured I would get them crack tested
and size checked and be on my way. That was until I checked on the
tightening requirements.  According to Carrillo you need to measure the rod
bolts when new and then re-measure them after each disassembly to make sure
they have not been overstretched.  I am lacking that original length
measurement.  I would just replace them all for good measure but I was
quoted a price of $56 per bolt.  That being said I would prefer to use the
original bolts IF they are still good.  Anybody have any alternative methods
of determining if these rod bolts have not been over stretched?  The bolts
are SPS CARR S4's

Thanks,
Marty
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Spitfire Racing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 11:22:50 -0400

Marty, I was looking this up in my docs. I knew I had the info somewhere.

First off, the original length of the bolts when new isn't what they're
talking about. Those bolts are reusable AND as you found out SUPER
expensive. They are referring to the delta between the "0" torque length and
the measured length as you tighten them. There is a special tool to do this
with which I used the first few builds. What I did was document what the
torque was when I achieved that level of stretch. I have the same rods you
do. It worked out that 38 to 39 Ft lbs yielded a .007" stretch which is what
you want. The condition of this is that you use the ARP moly lube on the
threads. Do not do this with dry threads. 

Hope this helps-sorry for the delay.

Russ Moore

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of marty sukey
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:59 AM
To: FOT
Subject: [Fot] Carrillo Rod Bolts

Thanks,
Marty

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:49:56 -0400

I over-streched a couple of these once by using ARP lube, which is much slicker than the lube Carillo recommends.  Make sure you use the right stuff - I think it's a moly Loctite product, which I found at Pep Boys, though Carrillo now sells their own brand.  My experience is that if they have been over-stretched, when you tighten them to the correct torque they will stretch more than indicated, or conversely if you tighten to the correct stretch it won't take enough torque.  They are dinky little bolts and the required torque is quite low.  So, if you tighten to 215 inch-pounds and they stretch as indicated, they should still be good.

Ridiculously expensive, too!  I wonder if you couldn't replace them with an ARP product for less?

On Oct 3, 2012, at 9:58 AM, marty sukey wrote:

Rod bolt question for you experts.  I latched onto a used set of Carrillo rods
for my next spitfire engine.  I figured I would get them crack tested and size
checked and be on my way. That was until I checked on the tightening
requirements.  According to Carrillo you need to measure the rod bolts when
new and then re-measure them after each disassembly to make sure they have not
been overstretched.  I am lacking that original length measurement.  I would
just replace them all for good measure but I was quoted a price of $56 per
bolt.  That being said I would prefer to use the original bolts IF they are
still good.  Anybody have any alternative methods of determining if these rod
bolts have not been over stretched?  The bolts are SPS CARR S4's

Thanks,
Marty

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 13:49:15 -0500

I recently installed Carrillo rods in the TR4 engine.  The bolts are 3/8
inch SPS CARR S6's and are marked "S6-S-A13".
The free length was 1.850 and a stretch of 0.007 inch required 50 FT-LB of
torque.  I used the Loctite anti-Seize compound supplied by Carrillo.  I
would think Carrillo could give you the length of the new S4 (1/4 inch)
bolt. If your bolts are within a couple of thousandths of that dimension you
would be okay.  If they are beyond the 0.007 stretch then they have been
over torqued beyond their yield point and would have to be replaced.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of marty sukey
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:59 AM
To: FOT
Subject: [Fot] Carrillo Rod Bolts

Rod bolt question for you experts.  I latched onto a used set of Carrillo
rods
for my next spitfire engine.  I figured I would get them crack tested and
size
checked and be on my way. That was until I checked on the tightening
requirements.  According to Carrillo you need to measure the rod bolts when
new and then re-measure them after each disassembly to make sure they have
not
been overstretched.  I am lacking that original length measurement.  I would
just replace them all for good measure but I was quoted a price of $56 per
bolt.  That being said I would prefer to use the original bolts IF they are
still good.  Anybody have any alternative methods of determining if these
rod
bolts have not been over stretched?  The bolts are SPS CARR S4's

Thanks,
Marty

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]