Subject: Re: [Fot] Racing a Triumph TRANSMISSIONS

From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:04:20 -0400

Interestingly enough, the SVRA G3 rules say that transmissions can be
replaced with 5 speed units; however, the TR3,4 6 etc. rules say that stock
transmission should be used???? I have asked for them to consider the
issue.... 

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
719 East Boulevard
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
Tele: (704) 372-5600
Fax: (704) 372-4601
E-mail: [email-masked]
www.gdhs.com
 
PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.  Thank you.
 
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  In order to comply with certain IRS regulations
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise,
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 1:55 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Racing a Triumph TRANSMISSIONS

Yup, The TR6 conversion is likely the best choice, when all things are
considered. 

> 15 years ago, at least, I replaced the GT6 gearbox in my racer with a TR6 
> box.  I was breaking a stock trans EVERY race!   The new box was a Triumph

> piece and carried a 40 pound weight penalty.  I declared it to my club and

> they were happy to see me on the grid and on the podium.  A good solution 
> all round.
>  
> I doubt I could justify a five speed to myself or the scrutineers.
> 

</HTML>
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:47:01 -0400

Ya SVRA is smart.  Even though I'm with VARAC in Canada I built and registered
my GT6 to SVRA rules for that very reason since my own club had no such
addenda but allows SVRA cars to register and run.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2012-10-12, at 2:04 PM, "john hasty" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:54:49 -0400 (EDT)

>> transmission should be used???? I have asked for them to consider the

Like the song says: "same as it ever was".

When you're scared of the competition, you torque the rules to your 
advantage. ;-)

In SCCA club racing, you can use alternate transmissions and alternate 
gear sets, but you cannot run overdrive on a non-standard gearbox. God 
knows why... a T5 (or whatever) with a normal O/D 5th gear offers exactly 
NO advantage other than reliability.

Oddly, in SCCA Solo - when the various "Street" classes were created 
(about 10 or 12 years ago), they specifically exclude Triumphs. Gee, I 
wonder why?

c ya,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Kas Kastner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 19:48:50 +0000

That is not quite true.  The Toyota pickup and the Celica offer at least 4
alternate ratios for 5th gear, not so with the overdrive. But so what,
compared to missing a guy on the grid for not a good enough reason.

Never be beaten by equipment
 > Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:54:49 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:30:01 -0700

I don't quite get the "scared of the competition" line. Probably because I've
never really cared about competitors. The guy I want to beat is me--the last
time I raced. But my notions aside, I've always considered the core of racing
to be aiming for an unfair advantage. I think if you're not doing that you're
not racing, or maybe you're doing some odd spec racer version of it. Even in
spec racing there's guys who buy lots of tires, and those that don't.

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]