Subject: Re: [Fot] Data Acquisition - experience with Innovate Motorsports?

From: "Alexandre Camoletti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 22:25:27 +0200

Dear Larry! I am back into my FOT inbox, not read since Feb this year!
10-14h per day at work, then workshop (or bed) and week ends 15-20h in the
shop, so no email time, except for orders etc.
Now I try to catch up. Hope you are well !
Regarding the subject of your email below (Oct 15 2011): I plugged in my
Innovate LM-2 with RPM and other sensors. Works perfectly fine. Had read
horrible stories about RPM, impossible to read, bouncing all he time, etc.
I simply used exclusively HQ screened cable (each wire being self screened,
then the whole cable is screened again ) to feed 12V to the LM2 and same
cable for the sensors. With soldering, not crimps or split in. And a common
negative all to bat negative via the screened cable. Such cable is
expensive, like 5 per yard, but it works just perfectly, RMP is stable and
accurate within 10rpm, sensors as well and the software LogWorks works fine
too.
Did you manage to get your Innovate stuff work with the dyno?
What about camshafts ? Id' love to get yours for the TR3-4!
Cheers!
Alex

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] De la
part de Larry Young
Envoyi : samedi 15 octobre 2011 23:59
@ : FOT
Cc : Tom Young
Objet : [Fot] Data Acquisition - experience with Innovate Motorsports?

Does anyone have experience with data acquisition using hardware from
Innovate Motorsports?

Some friends and I are bringing an old water brake dyno back to life for
some engine testing. The data acquisition stuff at Innovate Motorsports
looked good and they could furnish everything we needed.  We bought a
pressure transducer to get torque (thru force using a hydraulic cylinder), a
Hall effect sensor to get RPM, and a wide band oxygen sensor for AFR.  These
are connected through an interface "box" which goes to an RS232 port using
USB to RS232 cable.

We've had nothing but problems with their system.  We had to return the
interface box once already to be fixed (which took about 3 weeks).
After that we were able to get pressure, but it often loses its settings and
must be reset.  We get RPM a few seconds before it craps out. No AFR.  The
whole system is flaky.  I am now sending the box and sensors back a second
time.  I think the interface box still has problems. I can't decide whether
to give up on them completely. It seems like it shouldn't be this difficult.

Does anyone else have experience with this company? Do you have a different
company you would recommend? I realize this is a little different from data
acquisition for racing, since we are going direct to the computer, but
thought some of you might have a suggestion.

TIA, Larry Young
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 16:56:51 -0500

A couple of friends and I played several months with the Innovate stuff 
for an engine dyno.  We sent it back to Innovate twice.  Had lots of 
problems with RF interference from all sorts of sources. Was also 
sensitive to the USB to RS-232 conversion cable.  Could never get 
consistent readings with it.  Finally the SSI-4 box quit and we gave up 
rather than sending it back a third time.  Some of their stuff may be 
OK, but our experience trying to record direct to the computer was very bad.

I have still not found a cam grinder.  I have been busy restoring my 
TR250, which is now done and looks great.
Larry Young

On 10/6/2012 3:25 PM, Alexandre Camoletti wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums