Subject: [Fot] A type overdrive problem

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 09:50:37 -0600

The OD on my TR6 stopped working so I did the trouble shooting process  
in Dan Master's electrical manual and found I have voltage all through  
the circuit all the way to the bullet that connects the (yellow with  
purple stripe) wire to the solenoid. The voltage can be switched on  
and off with the OD selector switch on the column so everything works  
up to the point where it connects to the solenoid. But the solenoid  
doesn't engage.

So the solenoid is bad right? What has me stumped is that the solenoid  
will operate if I hook it directly to an extra battery that I have.  
Why would it work with 12 volts directly but not 12 volts through the  
circuit? I even swapped out another solenoid from another A type OD  
and that one does exactly the same thing. Works with a direct hookup  
to a battery but not with the circuit. I checked to see if the  
solenoid is grounded and it has continuity according to my meter.

With the solenoid hooked to the system when I engage the OD switch the  
voltage goes as far as the bullet but doesn't register at the  
solenoid. It's as if the solenoid "clogs" the flow of the voltage.

What could be causing the solenoids to work with a direct battery  
(voltage measured at 12.11) but not with the circuit (voltage measured  
at 12.75)?

I'm stumped. How can both solenoids work in one situation and not the  
other?

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Joe Boruch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 02:40:35 GMT

Bud, have you tried another relay?  I had a bad relay on my street TR4 and I
seem to recall that it behaved similarly.  When I ran an OD in my race TR3 I
did not use the relay, just used a heavy duty switch.  One less thing to go
wrong.  Joe(B)

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
To: Bob Bownes - Seiri <[email-masked]>
Cc: FOT List <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Fot] A type overdrive problem
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 13:16:55 -0600

When I test at the wire soldered to the solenoid (with the plastic cap
removed so I can get to it) that is when it is "clogged up" and the
meter reads in the hundredths of volts not 12.75.

Others have said I have amps issue not a voltage issue and the relay
will do that if the contacts get burnt. That may be the source of the
high resistance.

Can I test the relay by running a lead from the brown wire directly to
the yellow purple at the relay and bypass the relay without messing
something up?

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)

On Oct 3, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Bob Bownes - Seiri wrote:

> It could be a high resistance path in the wiring harness. You would
> get 12v but not enough current to throw the solenoid. Check the
> voltage with the solenoid on and off.
>
> On Oct 3, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/
>> [email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

____________________________________________________________
Woman is 53 But Looks 25
Mom reveals 1 simple wrinkle trick that has angered doctors...
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]