Subject: Re: [Fot] A type overdrive problem

From: Richard Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 14:06:23 -0400

A high impedance 3rd/4th gear selector switch?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 3, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The OD on my TR6 stopped working so I did the trouble shooting process  
> in Dan Master's electrical manual and found I have voltage all through  
> the circuit all the way to the bullet that connects the (yellow with  
> purple stripe) wire to the solenoid. The voltage can be switched on  
> and off with the OD selector switch on the column so everything works  
> up to the point where it connects to the solenoid. But the solenoid  
> doesn't engage.
> 
> So the solenoid is bad right? What has me stumped is that the solenoid  
> will operate if I hook it directly to an extra battery that I have.  
> Why would it work with 12 volts directly but not 12 volts through the  
> circuit? I even swapped out another solenoid from another A type OD  
> and that one does exactly the same thing. Works with a direct hookup  
> to a battery but not with the circuit. I checked to see if the  
> solenoid is grounded and it has continuity according to my meter.
> 
> With the solenoid hooked to the system when I engage the OD switch the  
> voltage goes as far as the bullet but doesn't register at the  
> solenoid. It's as if the solenoid "clogs" the flow of the voltage.
> 
> What could be causing the solenoids to work with a direct battery  
> (voltage measured at 12.11) but not with the circuit (voltage measured  
> at 12.75)?
> 
> I'm stumped. How can both solenoids work in one situation and not the  
> other?
> 
> Thanks
> Bud Rolofson
> 
> 
> 71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
> 71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
> 66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
> 71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
> Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
> 
> http://www.fot-racing.com
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:20:13 -0600

Yes there's a relay and it clicks when the OD selector switch is  
thrown. It passes all the voltage tests for the brown, the white, the  
yellow purple wires. I get voltage through it to the yellow purple  
wire right to the solenoid. I suspected it too since it was the last  
thing I did to the OD circuit but that was over a year ago and it  
worked up until now.

Bud

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)

On Oct 3, 2012, at 12:00 PM, Yahoo wrote:

> Isn't there a relay between the column and the solenoid?
>
> Ty
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> '63 Triumph TR4 DP Racecar
> '62 Triumph TR4 RestoMod (Project)
> ++++
>
>
> On Oct 3, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 13:49:15 -0500

Sounds like a grounding problem.  Did you measure the voltage at the
solenoid between the bullet connector and the ground of the battery?  I
would also try running a ground wire direct from the battery to the "case"
or ground of the solenoid and trying that.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bud Rolofson
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:51 AM
To: FOT List
Subject: [Fot] A type overdrive problem

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:56:13 -0600

Yes I tested it and got continuity from the solenoid body to the  
transmission and to the body. As far as I can tell the solenoid  
grounds itself with the bolts used to attach it to it's bracket on the  
OD. I'll try to ground it at known working ground locations like the  
battery itself.

Thanks
Bud

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)

---

From: Bob Bownes - Seiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 15:01:15 -0400

It could be a high resistance path in the wiring harness. You would get 12v
but not enough current to throw the solenoid. Check the voltage with the
solenoid on and off.

On Oct 3, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Bud Rolofson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 13:16:55 -0600

When I test at the wire soldered to the solenoid (with the plastic cap  
removed so I can get to it) that is when it is "clogged up" and the  
meter reads in the hundredths of volts not 12.75.

Others have said I have amps issue not a voltage issue and the relay  
will do that if the contacts get burnt. That may be the source of the  
high resistance.

Can I test the relay by running a lead from the brown wire directly to  
the yellow purple at the relay and bypass the relay without messing  
something up?

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)

On Oct 3, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Bob Bownes - Seiri wrote:

> It could be a high resistance path in the wiring harness. You would  
> get 12v but not enough current to throw the solenoid. Check the  
> voltage with the solenoid on and off.
>

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 17:13:36 -0500

I'm assuming that when you tested the solenoid on a separate battery you
were putting the 12 volts to the bullet connector and the ground or negative
battery terminal to the case of the solenoid.  That being the case, the
bullet connector to the soldered connection on the solenoid appears to be
good.

Using alligator clips, connect the positive or red lead of the voltmeter to
the bullet connector on the solenoid wire and the negative or black lead of
the voltmeter to the negative terminal of the battery (Ground).   Now flip
the OD switch to "ON".  If there is a low voltage at the solenoid it is due
to high resistance, such as bad contacts in the relay, between the solenoid
and the positive terminal of the battery.  The voltage is being dropped
across the high resistance with very little current and you are getting low
voltage at the solenoid.

If when you flip the OD switch to "ON" and get 12 volts at the solenoid but
it does not "pick up" or energize, you have an open ground circuit between
the solenoid and the negative battery terminal and no current flowing the
solenoid.

Seeing as how you have tried 2 different solenoids it would seem unlikely to
have 2 with intermittent ground contact inside the solenoid itself.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bud Rolofson
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:17 PM
To: Bob Bownes - Seiri
Cc: FOT List
Subject: Re: [Fot] A type overdrive problem

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)