Subject: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 19:38:48 -0400

We use a dist from Moss called I think, "race" with protrpnix and their coil
Never any problem. I think it is aMG dist at any rate be sure and use thee red
rotor

---

From: "Stutzmans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 14:31:00 -0400

I'm surprised to hear that some of the racers are using new Pertronix 
dizzys.  I think they are made in India; but for whatever reason I'm not 
impressed with their build quality as compared with the old Lucas 25D and 
45D dizzys.  When properly sorted out on a Sun machine 25Ds and 45Ds (Glen 
likes the 45D because of its big cap) give excellent service.
A very important issue for racers is cam lobe accuracy which is an easy test 
on a Sun machine.  I've almost always found Lucas 4 cylinder dizzys to be 
right on.  Not so much on the Lucas 22D6 (TR6 dizzy) though.
Bruce
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Scott Janzen" <[email-masked]>
To: "Triumph 'Friends of Triumph'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:27 AM
Subject: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4

> The folks at Electromotive tell me the very elegant crank triggered 
> ignition on my EP TR4 is not firing correctly throughout the rpm range. As 
> I may take this car back to vintage, I'm looking for a distributor-based 
> replacement.  So, should it be Mallory with electronic guts, given 
> reported quality issues with Lucas replacement caps, etc?  Other thoughts? 
> And, if you have a known good set-up you want to sell, let me know.
>
> Sent from my mobile device
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:31:21 -0500

I'm happy with the Mallory Unilite on the TR engine in our Morgan (and in our
non-TR engined Morgan also).

Duncan

---

From: "Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 08:38:45 -0700

Pertronix makes a distributor with Ignitor II ignition. Works great in my
TR6. They have one for the four also.

-- 
Chuck Arnold and Kathleen Kelley

---

From: fubog1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 11:47:48 -0400 (EDT)

Lucas of course, usually a model 45 with Allison/Crane optical unit.

Glen

---

From: Robert Deanes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 12:14:36 -0400

Scott, I use a Pertronics dist. on my racer and have had only one
problem...three years later.... since I put it in in 2007 and Pertronics
suppoort was great with a new unit for free. Just my two cents.

rob deanes
TR Racer

-- 
rob deanes
TR Racer

---

From: Dennis Delap <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 11:14:35 -0500

Lucas 25D -
send it to Advanced Distributors
for a complete rebuild.
612-804-5543
Jeff can also supply you with a core if you don' have one.

On Oct 20, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Scott Janzen <[email-masked]> wrote:

---

From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:37:21 -0400

Installed a Pertronix on Both my race and street GT6.  Excellent results.

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 23:33:49 +0200

I run Pertronix I.

---

From: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:01:06 -0400

I had an informative talk with Jeff at Advanced Distributors this morning.  He recommended a 45D Lucas with a 25D shaft assembly, cuz the larger diameter of the 45 cap eliminates cross-fire issues.  He balances the assembly, puts in a full length shaft bushing, and makes some other improvements.  He uses a high quality cap with added ribbing, and says it does not flex, fits tightly and does not have the problems of most replacement caps available.  He also supplies rotors (red) made for him.  He says he can run the single points set-up to 10,000 rpm on his machine without scatter.  My unit will be set up with advance of 18 degrees at idle (1500 rpm) going to full advance by 3000 rpm.

Of interest to me was the comments he had about Mallory, which is what I have in the GT6.  He was very critical of the light springs, which he said stretch and cause scatter at all rpms.  The shaft bushings don't last, and the plastic bushings on the centrifugal weights don't last either.  He indicated that these units ought to rebuilt once a year, but stay in spec for only a few months, and doesn't recommend them for that reason.  I mentioned that inserting the Unilite electronic module in mine seemed to have cured the scatter I saw with a timing light, and he responded that the electronic unit masks the scatter from poor bushings, but it's still there.  He will rebuild these, but says it's not cost-effective in the long run.

So, there's a modified Lucas 45 on the way for the TR4, with points for now, at a very reasonable price.  He doesn't need cores at this point - has 1500 on hand.

Thanks to the group for all the feedback.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:08:33 -0700

Gee, maybe I shouldn't have flung all those Lucas dizzies with my catapult.

We do know that Mallory's come apart every so often. The stops break off and
the weights mill the insides. If you're running points all that aluminum dust
ends your race, while if you have a pertronix, it doesn't.
On Oct 22, 2012, at 9:01 AM, Scott Janzen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I had an informative talk with Jeff at Advanced Distributors this morning.
He recommended a 45D Lucas with a 25D shaft assembly, cuz the larger diameter
of the 45 cap eliminates cross-fire issues.  He balances the assembly, puts in
a full length shaft bushing, and makes some other improvements.  He uses a
high quality cap with added ribbing, and says it does not flex, fits tightly
and does not have the problems of most replacement caps available.  He also
supplies rotors (red) made for him.  He says he can run the single points
set-up to 10,000 rpm on his machine without scatter.  My unit will be set up
with advance of 18 degrees at idle (1500 rpm) going to full advance by 3000
rpm.
>
> Of interest to me was the comments he had about Mallory, which is what I
have in the GT6.  He was very critical of the light springs, which he said
stretch and cause scatter at all rpms.  The shaft bushings don't last, and the
plastic bushings on the centrifugal weights don't last either.  He indicated
that these units ought to rebuilt once a year, but stay in spec for only a few
months, and doesn't recommend them for that reason.  I mentioned that
inserting the Unilite electronic module in mine seemed to have cured the
scatter I saw with a timing light, and he responded that the electronic unit
masks the scatter from poor bushings, but it's still there.  He will rebuild
these, but says it's not cost-effective in the long run.
>
> So, there's a modified Lucas 45 on the way for the TR4, with points for now,
at a very reasonable price.  He doesn't need cores at this point - has 1500 on
hand.
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 18:40:24 +0200

"flung" - that's a nice word. Never heard it before. I like it. Have to look
what it means.
Ah, I see. Catapult language.

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Bill Babcock
Gesendet: Montag, 22. Oktober 2012 18:09
An: Scott Janzen
Cc: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph'
Betreff: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

We do know that Mallory's come apart every so often. The stops break off and
the weights mill the insides. If you're running points all that aluminum
dust ends your race, while if you have a pertronix, it doesn't.

> I had an informative talk with Jeff at Advanced Distributors this morning.
He recommended a 45D Lucas with a 25D shaft assembly, cuz the larger
diameter of the 45 cap eliminates cross-fire issues.  He balances the
assembly, puts in a full length shaft bushing, and makes some other
improvements.  He uses a high quality cap with added ribbing, and says it
does not flex, fits tightly and does not have the problems of most
replacement caps available.  He also supplies rotors (red) made for him.  He
says he can run the single points set-up to 10,000 rpm on his machine
without scatter.  My unit will be set up with advance of 18 degrees at idle
(1500 rpm) going to full advance by 3000 rpm.
have in the GT6.  He was very critical of the light springs, which he said
stretch and cause scatter at all rpms.  The shaft bushings don't last, and
the plastic bushings on the centrifugal weights don't last either.  He
indicated that these units ought to rebuilt once a year, but stay in spec
for only a few months, and doesn't recommend them for that reason.  I
mentioned that inserting the Unilite electronic module in mine seemed to
have cured the scatter I saw with a timing light, and he responded that the
electronic unit masks the scatter from poor bushings, but it's still there.
He will rebuild these, but says it's not cost-effective in the long run.
> So, there's a modified Lucas 45 on the way for the TR4, with points
at a very reasonable price.  He doesn't need cores at this point - has 1500
on hand.

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: fubog1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:41:06 -0400 (EDT)

The 45 has the bigger cap to prevent spark-scatter and some of the caps even
had internal ribs cast inside for that.
The early 45 points type has the asymmetrical cam and the advance is easy to
modify.
For those still using points, the later electronic 45s can be fitted with a
"eurospec" shaft assembly, with late cam and usually less mechanical advance.
HTH
Glen

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
To: Scott Janzen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph' <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, Oct 22, 2012 12:13 pm
Subject: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

He recommended a 45D Lucas with a 25D shaft assembly, cuz the larger diameter
of the 45 cap eliminates cross-fire issues.  He balances the assembly, puts
in
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:42:53 -0400 (EDT)

a trebuchet will 'fling' your lucas a long distance.

afterwards, it will have been 'flung'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------

two of our TRs have LUCAS with CRANE/ALLISON....a third one will be fitted in
the future.

All done by ADVANCED DISTRIBUTORs.....typically the first choice of the FOT in
the midwest.

Jeff recommended the CRANE/ALLISON over the PERTRONIX for racing.

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.
645 1st Street
Jesup, Iowa 50648
319.464.4711  (cell)
[email-masked]

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Christian Marx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 23:55:44 -0700

So let me test the word.
A F16 on an aircraft carrier will be fling off and as soon its in the air
it had been flung?
 Am 23.10.2012 01:43 schrieb "Joe Alexander" <[email-masked]>:

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> two of our TRs have LUCAS with CRANE/ALLISON....a third one will be fittedin the future.
>
> All done by ADVANCED DISTRIBUTORs.....typically the first choice of the
> FOT in the midwest.
>
> Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked] <[email-masked]?>] Im
> Auftrag von Bill Babcock
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> [email-masked]

---

From: fubog1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:05:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hmmm... maybe... but the F16 isn't a carrier based aircraft.... (grin)
Glen

A F16 on an aircraft carrier

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Marx <[email-masked]>
To: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Cc: fot <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, Oct 23, 2012 3:07 am
Subject: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

So let me test the word.

it had been flung?

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:32:15 +0200

Now we've got it....the moderator got notice of your rubbishing around and
hold back my last message.

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Barr, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2012 13:26
An: Christian Marx
Betreff: RE: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

Will fling, is flinging and has flung.

Scott

---

From: "john hasty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:53:45 -0400

This whole discussion is so far flung that it escapes understanding! 

John H. Hasty
Attorney At Law
Guthrie, Davis, Henderson & Staton, P.L.L.C.
719 East Boulevard
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-5113
Tele: (704) 372-5600
Fax: (704) 372-4601
E-mail: [email-masked]
www.gdhs.com
 
PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message (and any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.  Thank you.
 
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  In order to comply with certain IRS regulations
regarding tax advice, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise,
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of
(i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of MadMarx
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:32 AM
To: 'Barr, Scott'; 'Triumph 'Friends ofTriumph''
Subject: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Barr, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2012 13:26
An: Christian Marx
Betreff: RE: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

Scott

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: MARKANDGLENDA PENDERGRASS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 07:07:06 -0700

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we hire attorneys..........

MP

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM, john hasty <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:42:05 -0700 (PDT)

correct me if I'm wrong...but AN F16 is an Air Force weapon of mass destruction, 
not Navy...

now fling an F18 and you're talking Hornets!

Bobby

________________________________
From: Christian Marx <[email-masked]>
To: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Tue, October 23, 2012 2:07:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Best distributor/ignition for TR4 - conclusion

So let me test the word.
A F16 on an aircraft carrier will be fling off and as soon its in the air
it had been flung?
Am 23.10.2012 01:43 schrieb "Joe Alexander" <[email-masked]>:

>-

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: sherry robyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:02:18 -0700 (PDT)

Generally where are folks using PCV valves?  Both of my Triumphs are
carburated 
TR6s.  Where is it better to have a PCV valve that a straight hose
to do with 
motor breathing?  Thanks, Jim
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: sherry robyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:04:33 -0700 (PDT)

On my 74 TR6, I have a leak between the master cylinder and its resevoir. It was 
pretty clean but I cleaned it all spotless and used new rubbers between the m/c 
and its resevoir. It still leaks. Has anyone been here on this? I'm wondering if 
I should sand down the 4 attachment points so as to get more pressure on the 
rubbers or is a new resevoir my best option? Thanks for any assistance on this. 
Jim 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Bownes -Seiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 19:33:35 -0400

My solution was a new reservoir after trying to clean things up and replacing
the seals four or five times.

On Oct 29, 2012, at 19:04, sherry robyn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Glenn Franco <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 03:45:15 -0400

Jim
I have had many of these leak.
Replacements reservoirs work but some are just as bad as the one that leaks.
I have had new Master Cylinders leak in that location as well.
It's a poor design.
I have had some success using a slightly larger section O-ring in place 
of the square cut rubber seals.
You might want to try that before you buy a reservoir.
Glenn
On 10/29/2012 7:04 PM, sherry robyn wrote:
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]