Subject: Re: [Fot] Racing a Triumph TRANSMISSIONS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:55:14 -0400 (EDT)

Yup, The TR6 conversion is likely the best choice, when all things are 
considered. 

> 15 years ago, at least, I replaced the GT6 gearbox in my racer with a TR6 
> box.  I was breaking a stock trans EVERY race!   The new box was a Triumph 
> piece and carried a 40 pound weight penalty.  I declared it to my club and 
> they were happy to see me on the grid and on the podium.  A good solution 
> all round.
>  
> I doubt I could justify a five speed to myself or the scrutineers.
> 

</HTML>
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:48:46 -0400 (EDT)

Amici...

With all of this talk about transmissions, and my serious hip/knee 
arthritis issues, what would really interest me is an automatic.  Anyone know of any 
options open to me there?  I tend to be a Purist, so hopefully it should 
fit in the original TR3 tranny case.

Bill (Damdinger)

PS  Actually, I don't know about over here, but back in the day over in 
Europe, they did run some automatic transmissions in race cars.  The way I 
understand it, David Hobbs family built automatic transmissions.  I am not sure 
what they went into, but I am going to guess Jaguar as the Tornado Cars 
Works racing logs we have talk about racing against the 'Hobbs Jag'.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:06:49 -0400

ISTR that some of Jim Hall's Chaparals had 2 speed powerglide transmissions.

One of the DTSC members has recently converted a TR4 to automatic. Not a race car, but...

Cheers,

Doug
--
Doug Mitchell
[email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:

>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:29:49 -0400 (EDT)

Mike...

WOW!  Interesting dossier on David Hobbs' Dad.  

Incidentally, David Hobbs now owns a Honda dealership in Glendale, 
Wisconsin (Milwaukee suburb), and at a cocktail party there one time the VSCDA 
brought a bunch of vintage sports cars to be on display in the shop (which 
actually got scrubbed clean for the event).  Anyway I brought our Tornado Thunder 
Bolt and David Hobbs got all excited.  He brought a picture down from his 
office of that Lotus referred to in the article and the Thunder Bolt racing 
over in England.  I asked him if the Thunder Bolt was getting ready to lap him 
in the picture.  He did not think that was very funny and promised to tell 
me some time just how ill-mannered the Thunder Bolt was when it was first 
built.  I see David at Road America from time to time, but still have not 
heard the rest of the story.  I hope to someday because David Hobbs is a Hell of 
a story teller.  When he and Brian Redman get together you are guaranteed 
to split a gut laughing.

Bill Dentinger

---

From: "Jim Gray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 20:32:42 -0600

If I could afford one I wouldn't care.
jim g

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Yahoo
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 3:12 PM
To: MadMarx
Cc: <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Racing a Triumph TRANSMISSIONS

Is a dog box allowed by the sanctioning body?  Just kidding!

Ty

Sent from my iPhone

'63 Triumph TR4 DP Racecar
'62 Triumph TR4 RestoMod (Project)
++++

On Oct 12, 2012, at 3:07 PM, "MadMarx" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I can shift my dogbox without clutch.
>
>
> -----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
> Auftrag von [email-masked]
> Gesendet: Freitag, 12. Oktober 2012 22:49
> An: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Betreff: Re: [Fot] Racing a Triumph TRANSMISSIONS
>
> Amici...
>
arthritis
> issues, what would really interest me is an automatic.  Anyone know of any
fit
> in the original TR3 tranny case.
>
> Bill (Damdinger)
>
> understand it, David Hobbs family built automatic transmissions.  I am not
> sure what they went into, but I am going to guess Jaguar as the Tornado
Cars
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:50:49 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/12/2012 10:42:13 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Back in  the 90s I removed and replaced Ed Ceilley's GT6 gearbox three times
while  at Moroso and Sebring in two weekends of racing.

Twice it was in the  rain and three inches of water on the ground.

I would vote for 'GEAR  BOXES FREE', especially with GT6s

We seem to be doing quite well with  our TR3/4 TRANSMISSIONS, or I would
consider one of the Toyota  conversions.

If there were any restrictions placed on a major  component, among 
ourselves, I
would make the engine conform to the old  rules. But that is not likely to
happen....and I am OK with that. (I think  ours does conform and that's 
largely
an economic  decision)

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.
645 1st Street
Jesup,  Iowa 50648
319.464.4711   (cell)
[email-masked]

-----Original  Message-----
From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
To: Bobby  Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Cc: FoT Triumph  <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Oct 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Subject: Re:  [Fot] Racing a Triumph

Well said Bobby, I agree 100%.
Once Im  through my 3rd triumph gearbox Brutus is getting a T9 which is the
same  ratio as the gt6 box just stronger.  This is not a  performance
advantage,
it's common sense, just as group 44 upgraded the  axles on the gt6 in the 
day
to for reliability and safety.

Aren't we  all unhappy to see our fellow racers leave a race weekend early 
due
to  mechanical failures.  I'd rather have my buddy dicing and even showing  
me
up than be racing alone because his car failed for reasons that could  have
been prevented.

IMHO

Vince Garrett
#144 GT6+  (BRUTUS)

Have a great weekend everyone!

On 2012-10-12, at  11:23 AM, "Bobby Whitehead" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I  think if you want to race these cars you have to love these cars.  And,
when
> you mix emotion with the costs, you really have to love  the opportunity 
to
be at
> speed in these cars.
> The elixir  that runs through your soul when the stars aline and you've
really
>  hit a peak in matching the driving experience and the connection  between
you
and
> your car is toxic.
> Modified in the  spirit of vintage racing should be the thought.
> Safety should be the  #1 modification the cars have leeway with as far as
> sanctioning  rules.
> Reliability modifications should be the #2 modification, modern  gearboxes
for
> example.
> Performance should be the last  modification that pushes the thought of
variance
> to vintage  spirit.
>
> I think all of us want to have fun with the cars and  as I begin my third
rebuild
> in 3 years I think I have a grasp of  what it takes to try to run 
vintage...
> Personally I had my build  booklet upfront when I joined CVAR here in 
Texas.
The
> car I  purchased was built with a Toyota T50 gearbox and that was the way 
I
>  presented it. CVAR 'allowed' me to run 2-3 events with the idea I would  
put
a
> Triumph gearbox in the car. I had what I think most of us  agree, Quantum
> Mechanics build me a gearbox which lasted about 2  weekends... I was
warrantied
> with Quantum which I thought was  awesome another gearbox with a modified 
J
type
> overdrive which also  lasted about 4 events... warrantied again by Quantum
with
> exchange  I had a TR6 gearbox built with close ratio gear set  from
England...
in
> the mean time I put the T50 back in the car  and along with about $4000 in
> receipts went back to CVAR and said,,,  you know,,, I tried to run like 
you
> wanted me to but if you want to to  run consistently as a customer, I'm
going
to
> run the T50.... no  problem.
> I know the MG guys are having a tough time with 50 year old  gearboxes and
their
> sources gone... SOMETHING is going to have to  change if these cars are
going
to
> continue to run.
>  Personally, I don't see anything wrong with slotted brakes, four  caliper
> pistons, roll cages, Hans devices, and other safety or  reliability
efforts...
> the racing organizations are businesses at  the end of the day... those 
who
are
> not flexible in business  willing to modify will not survive in any 
business
> format...  IMHO....
>
> Bobby Whitehead
>
> on the hunt...  again.....
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Joe Boruch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 02:07:03 GMT

Bob, SCCA road racing production car specs for TR3-6 allow the use of any 5
speed transmission, as a replacement for the stock tranny/OD.  So a T5 is fine
and that is what I have been using for about 10 years.  Joe(B)

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Racing a Triumph     TRANSMISSIONS
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:54:49 -0400 (EDT)

> On 2012-10-12, at 2:04 PM, "john hasty" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Interestingly enough, the SVRA G3 rules say that transmissions can be
>> replaced with 5 speed units; however, the TR3,4 6 etc. rules say that
stock
>> transmission should be used???? I have asked for them to consider the
>> issue....

Like the song says: "same as it ever was".

When you're scared of the competition, you torque the rules to your
advantage. ;-)

In SCCA club racing, you can use alternate transmissions and alternate
gear sets, but you cannot run overdrive on a non-standard gearbox. God
knows why... a T5 (or whatever) with a normal O/D 5th gear offers exactly
NO advantage other than reliability.

Oddly, in SCCA Solo - when the various "Street" classes were created
(about 10 or 12 years ago), they specifically exclude Triumphs. Gee, I
wonder why?

c ya,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
-----

____________________________________________________________
Woman is 53 But Looks 25
Mom reveals 1 simple wrinkle trick that has angered doctors...
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 15:21:39 -0400 (EDT)

That seems to be the primary purpose of racing, to shift us all into  "B"

In a message dated 10/13/2012 12:18:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

sometimes mine shifts itself into "B" ....  broke....

Bobby