Subject: [Fot] I cut intake & exhaust port sections today ( tr4 )

From: "Jim Gray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:23:31 -0600

FoT,
I cut some TR4 port sections today, right down the middle of the valve
guides. It sure is a different view of the 

TR4 ports. The exhaust port is a mess. I'm going to try welding around the
back of the valve guide boss

and try to smooth out that wall the exhaust charge slams into just outside
the valve seat.

We'll find out on the flow bench, I have three more cylinders to experiment
with

Pix are on photobucket

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/TR4jim/Cylinder%20head/

jim g
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 23:03:11 -0500

Fantastic pictures, thanks!!!  It looks like the exhaust charge would go up
that wall and around and out.  In other words it didn't look all that bad to
my "untrained" eye.  The photos really show the large amount cooling around
the exhaust valve guide and the small amount around the intake guide.  They
also show the benefits of cutting off the guides so they don't stick into
the ports.  Thanks again,

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Jim Gray
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 10:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] I cut intake & exhaust port sections today ( tr4 )

FoT,

Pix are on photobucket

jim g

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:18:07 -0700

Yeah, the exhaust port looks like it was cast using plumbing parts. Intake is
not that much better.
On Oct 19, 2012, at 8:23 PM, "Jim Gray" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Jim Gray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 00:04:17 -0600

The exhaust doesn't have to be as efficient as the intake because the charge
is under pressure on the way out but that square 90 degree turn could
benefit from a fillet weld right in the corner behind the valve guide boss. 
The intake isn't bad really except it's a pretty tight curve coming off the
valve seat. That curve will get flattened out.
I'll be doing some silicone casts of the stock ports and then I'll make some
of my current ported head. We'll start in on the flowbench next month.

jg

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Babcock [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 10:18 PM
To: Jim Gray
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] I cut intake & exhaust port sections today ( tr4 )

Yeah, the exhaust port looks like it was cast using plumbing parts. Intake
is not that much better.

---

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 08:43:43 -0400

Thanks for posting the picts Jim. FWIW, I purchased David Vizard's Theory and
Practice of Cylinder Head Modification a long time ago. He addresses the TR3/4
head pretty well in the book. On the subject of cutting the valve guides so
they don't project into the flow path, this seems like such a good idea, and
the factory could have saved a penny or so by making them shorter to start
with it makes me wonder why they did not do that from the beginning? This is
timely discussion as I am getting ready to butcher, er I mean modify a TR4
head. :)
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Terry Stetler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 09:54:12 -0400

And to think that this is the "improved" head compared to the original TR2/TR3
design...

Terry Stetler
  ----- Original Message -----
  Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:04 AM
  Subject: Re: [Fot] I cut intake & exhaust port sections today ( tr4 )

  The exhaust doesn't have to be as efficient as the intake because the
charge
  is under pressure on the way out but that square 90 degree turn could
  benefit from a fillet weld right in the corner behind the valve guide boss.
  The intake isn't bad really except it's a pretty tight curve coming off the
  valve seat. That curve will get flattened out.
  I'll be doing some silicone casts of the stock ports and then I'll make
some
  of my current ported head. We'll start in on the flowbench next month.

  jg

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Bill Babcock [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 10:18 PM
  To: Jim Gray
  Subject: Re: [Fot] I cut intake & exhaust port sections today ( tr4 )

  Yeah, the exhaust port looks like it was cast using plumbing parts. Intake
  is not that much better.
  On Oct 19, 2012, at 8:23 PM, "Jim Gray"

  > We'll find out on the flow bench, I have three more cylinders to
  experiment
http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/TR4jim/Cylinder%20head/<http://s698.
photobucket.com/albums/vv341/TR4jim/Cylinder%20head/>
  > http://www.fot-racing.com<http://www.fot-racing.com/>
  >
  > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
  > Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<http://www.team.net/archive>
  > Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<http://www.team.net/forums>
  > Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]<http://autox.team.net
/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]>
  _______________________________________________

  http://www.fot-racing.com<http://www.fot-racing.com/>

  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
  Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<http://www.team.net/archive>
  Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<http://www.team.net/forums>
  Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]<http://autox.team.
net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 16:03:14 +0200

Interesting how thin the head walls are.

Chris

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Jim Gray
Gesendet: Samstag, 20. Oktober 2012 05:24
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [Fot] I cut intake & exhaust port sections today ( tr4 )

FoT,

Pix are on photobucket

jim g

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "Jim Gray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 08:36:42 -0600

I'm definitely going to be looking at valve seats. They play a really big
roll in the overall flow.

As far as valve guides go we will do some testing with and without. More
importantly though

I want to try a fuel shear ramp before and after the valve / guides to
smooth turbulence.

I want to get maximum velocity first.

jim

  _____  

From: John Styduhar [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:30 AM
To: Jim Gray
Subject: Re: [Fot] I cut intake & exhaust port sections today ( tr4 )

Great work Jim.  Do you have any plans to test modifications other than port
design, like valve seat profile and whether or not grinding of the exposed
valve guides has any effect on flow?  

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Jim Gray <[email-masked]> wrote:

jg

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Babcock [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 10:18 PM
To: Jim Gray
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] I cut intake & exhaust port sections today ( tr4 )

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]