Subject: [Fot] Tornado Talisman & Spitfire reprise...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:20:52 -0400 (EDT)

Amici...

Being an early TR3 racer, much of this is GREEK to me, but here is some
more concerning that CLASSIC MONTHLY article and Tornado Cars ties to TRIUMPH,
the editor, Gary Stretton, got back to Tornado Cars founder, Bill Woodhouse,
and his response included:

<<< Interesting point you make re the rear hubs. I'll see if we can clarify
the statement. I'm a Spitfire owner myself but I'm not familiar with the
Tornado setup. Sounds as if the setups have been confused. >>>

to which Bill Woodhouse then responded:

<<< Dear Gary,

No apologies needed.

As a Spitfire owner you will be familiar with the outer trunnion on your
drive shaft.  As I couldn't bring myself to accept the geometry of a swing
axle with a high roll centre I had Hardy Spicer make articulated drive shafts.
To support the final short end of the drive shaft I simply welded the
Triumph trunnions back to back, dispensed with the roller bearing but used the
two big outer ball bearings, packing the space between with grease.  The two
vertical swinging arms that attached the Triumph trunnion to the transverse
leaf spring I welded to the now back to back trunnions but downwards to
locate my lower transverse swinging arms, thus utilising all Standard Triumph
parts.

If you have a copy of Martyn Morgan Jones' excellent book "Winds of Change"
you will see reproduced a surprisingly good cut-away drawing by "Sports Car
Graphic" in the States (April 1962) which shows very clearly the
fabrication I am talking about.

I could do a sketch for you if needed.

Hope this will help with any future comments.

You most certainly did a wonderful head-to-head comparison.  What surprised
me is that an Elan S1 is valued at #30.000 to #40,000 in good condition.  I
have asked my insurers to reassess the agreed valuation of my Talisman!

All the very best,

Bill Woodhouse
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]