Subject: Re: [Fot] Steering shaft u-joint TR-4

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 18:56:51 -0700

Don't. Switch the whole thing over to Borgeson stuff. IMHO that's another
thing I wouldn't leave in the hands of designers who have been dead for 40
years.

On Oct 14, 2012, at 6:53 PM, Tony Drews <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My steering shaft has two u-joints in it.  The lower one is a big beefy cast
thing that I bought from Moss to replace the big beefy cast thing that was
there before.  The upper one isn't quite as heavy duty looking but does a much
better job of actually clamping onto the shaft.  I've tightened the sh** out
of the lower big beefy one and it's still not as tightly clamped as I'd like.
>
> So...  Where can I buy alternate u-joints for the TR-4 steering shaft?
>
> Look forward to the advice.
>
> Tony Drews
>
> PS - article on front suspension swap to TR-6 stuff is still coming.
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:42:49 -0500

Any clues on which borgeson stuff fits the splines on the steering 
rack?  Looks like the shaft would be 9/16 - the only one shown is 
9/16 26 spline, and the other end would need a custom shaft (I have a 
choice of 3/4" smooth bore or 3/4" 36 spline it appears).

Looks like the attachment is more of a "set screw" type of deal.  Is 
that better?

I'd love to update to something strong and reliable.

Thanks, Tony

At 08:56 PM 10/14/2012, Bill Babcock wrote:
>Don't. Switch the whole thing over to Borgeson stuff. IMHO that's 
>another thing I wouldn't leave in the hands of designers who have 
>been dead for 40 years.
>
> > My steering shaft has two u-joints in it.  The lower one is a big 
> beefy cast thing that I bought from Moss to replace the big beefy 
> cast thing that was there before.  The upper one isn't quite as 
> heavy duty looking but does a much better job of actually clamping 
> onto the shaft.  I've tightened the sh** out of the lower big beefy 
> one and it's still not as tightly clamped as I'd like.
> >

---

From: Bill Babcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:39:46 -0700

I made an adapter from 3/4" Double D-section to the spline required for my
rack. Tony Garmey reworked the setup and made it prettier and more reliable,
but the adapter was just a sleeve that both bits got welded into with a good
quality TIG weld. I used their nice stainless needle bearing joints and billet
steel 3/4" pillow blocks.

Not hard to fabricate, hell for strong, no shake and no wobble. Gotta love all
that. Tony passed the shaft through the cowl roll bar -- I had it going over
that. In a production car I'd use one of their firewall flange bearings and
then a second block just before the first universal.

I drilled dimples into the shaft and ran the setscrews into the dimples before
locking everything down. Going nowhere. I've had my steering come apart on me
once. I can tell you for certain it's not fun.  Ain't happening again.

On Oct 14, 2012, at 7:42 PM, Tony Drews <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Any clues on which borgeson stuff fits the splines on the steering rack?
Looks like the shaft would be 9/16 - the only one shown is 9/16 26 spline, and
the other end would need a custom shaft (I have a choice of 3/4" smooth bore
or 3/4" 36 spline it appears).
>
> Looks like the attachment is more of a "set screw" type of deal.  Is that
better?
>> > My steering shaft has two u-joints in it.  The lower one is a big beefy
cast thing that I bought from Moss to replace the big beefy cast thing that
was there before.  The upper one isn't quite as heavy duty looking but does a
much better job of actually clamping onto the shaft.  I've tightened the sh**
out of the lower big beefy one and it's still not as tightly clamped as I'd
like.