Subject: Re: [Fot] Splitting a TR4 body in half when replacing sills and floors

From: "Mike Moore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:55:09 -0400

I did same to my street car and kept car together so I could keep everything
aligned easier. Fastened braces across top of door openings to keep proper
shape and then replaced one side at a time.

Thanks
Mike

Michael T. Moore, CPA
2007 West 32nd Street
Erie, PA 16508

Phone: 814-868-4831  ext 103
Fax:        814-864-7383

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 2:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] Splitting a TR4 body in half when replacing sills and floors

I am working on a TR4 street car. It needs the front floor pans and inner
sills replaced.  In reading a restoration guide, it talked about splitting
the car in half (front and back half)  putting the new floors and sills
together on the refurbished frame, and then putting the two halves back
together on the new frame.

Here is the link.  See page 75/76

http://books.google.com/books?id=wzKwPkJMUM8C&pg=PA73&lpg=PA73&dq=sill+repla
c
ement+rotted+tr4&source=bl&ots=cZGCqluUgQ&sig=dj8utxsFSHgR0GakR0Wi-qxI5S
ement+rotted+k&hl=
en&sa=X&ei=mOCNUNqFDqfbyQGAioDADg#v=onepage&q=sill%20replacement%20rotted%20
t
r4&f=false

Any opinions on this versus cutting and replacing sections one at a time?

Thx

Ty

Sent from my iPad
(Please excuse any errors or typos)
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Glenn Franco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:41:46 -0400

Tyler
I have done many of these.
I don't recommend splitting the body in half.
Do one side at a time. Use a brace between the A and B Posts and Cross 
brace.
I pull the body with a chain fall or hoist and sit it on its side.
I can send you photo's of the latest I'm restoring for a club member.
It's a TR250 that received floors inner and outer rockers a full top 
deck including trunk surround, battery tray and and R&R the left front 
corner.
I had to make repair panels to tie in the new parts.
Take LOTS of Measurements. Measure before you weld.
Glenn

On 10/29/2012 2:52 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> sills replaced.  In reading a restoration guide, it talked about splitting the
> car in half (front and back half)  putting the new floors and sills together
> on the refurbished frame, and then putting the two halves back together on the
> new frame.
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=wzKwPkJMUM8C&pg=PA73&lpg=PA73&dq=sill+replac
> ement+rotted+tr4&source=bl&ots=cZGCqluUgQ&sig=dj8utxsFSHgR0GakR0Wi-qxI5Sk&hl=
> en&sa=X&ei=mOCNUNqFDqfbyQGAioDADg#v=onepage&q=sill%20replacement%20rotted%20t
> r4&f=false
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:06:02 -0600

Thanks Glenn!

Jim Gray (another FOTer) lent me braces he built for the A to B pillar as well
as some lifting eyes.  In terms of the cross brace, where do you place that?
Setting the tub on its side makes a lot sense.  Great ideas.

I would enjoy seeing your pics!

Thx

Ty

Sent from my iPad

brace.
> It's a TR250 that received floors inner and outer rockers a full top deck
including trunk surround, battery tray and and R&R the left front corner.
>> sills replaced.  In reading a restoration guide, it talked about splitting
the

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:34:57 -0600

Folks.

Glenn was a great help and documented the process for me with some pics and
pointers. I also received many comments from others directly.  Many thanks to
everyone.  As always, this list is so valuable.

Ty

Sent from my iPad

brace.
> Take LOTS of Measurements. Measure before you we
> Glenn
>
the

---

From: "Tim Murphy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:02:44 -0500

Ty,
	I have some of the lifting plates as shown in the Triumph Workshop
Manual for lifting the body off the frame that I cut out of 14 Ga. plate I
think and then drilled and bent to do the job.  I think I have an extra set
or I can send mine and you can return when done.  If you think they would be
of help, let me know.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 4:06 PM
To: Glenn Franco
Cc: Friends of triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] Splitting a TR4 body in half when replacing sills and
floors

Thanks Glenn!

Jim Gray (another FOTer) lent me braces he built for the A to B pillar as
well
as some lifting eyes.  In terms of the cross brace, where do you place that?
Setting the tub on its side makes a lot sense.  Great ideas.

Thx

Ty

Sent from my iPad

brace.
the
>> on the refurbished frame, and then putting the two halves back together
on
the
ement+rotted+tr4&source=bl&ots=cZGCqluUgQ&sig=dj8utxsFSHgR0GakR0Wi-qxI5Sk&hl
=

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:04:36 -0600

Jim Lent me some lifting plates as well so I think I am good.  Thank you for
the offer.

Ty

Tyler Thompson l National Account Executive - Public Safety Sector
esri | One International Court | Broomfield, CO 80021
Phone: 303.449-7779 ext. 8260, cell: 719.510-1649 |
E-mail: [email-masked]

Sent from my iPad