Subject: [Fot] What is best to remove old gasket

From: sherry robyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:00:58 -0700 (PDT)

Need something I can sort of paint on the oil pan contact surface on the block
in the car (overhead) to loosen so scraping is a little less violent.   PO
thought he would glue this thing forever.  Thanks, Jim 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:33:43 -0700

> thought he would glue this thing forever.  Thanks, Jim

When old gaskets are reluctant to vacate I like to use a rotary brush on 
a drill.  It has always worked like a charm for me.  I like to follow it 
up with a solvent to prepare the surfaces for whatever I goop du jour 
intend to slather on afterwords.

TeriAnn

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:39:21 -0700

> in the car (overhead) to loosen so scraping is a little less 
> violent. 

I've been using Loctite "Chisel" gasket remover.  Comes in a rattle can
instead of brush, and is kind of pricy and slow.  Still works better than
anything else I've found.
http://goo.gl/mCvnl

Looks like the active ingredient is mostly methylene chloride, so the old
"aircraft" paint stripper might work as well, if you can still find the
MC-based stuff.

-- Randall