Subject: Re: [Fot] Damn Differential

From: "Bill Tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 08:22:03 -0400

Hi Gang, I sure do enjoy the Rotary lift I installed a couple months ago; 
press a button and the car goes up. Great! I got it used from a retiring guy 
I knew. Paid $950 for the lift, but much more for the 6" floor of concrete 
to set it on! I'm getting too old to roll around on the floor.
I'm headed for the Glen next week. Who else is going?
Enjoy the weekend.
Bill
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jason Ostrowski" <[email-masked]>
To: "triumph friends" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2012 7:27 PM
Subject: [Fot] Damn Differential

> Well I think I reached a new high level of frustration in Triumphing 
> Today.
> Surely there are tools out there to make this a quick and easy job....but
> yet again tools I don't have.
> I have done a lot of hard and frustrating jobs on these cars over the 
> years.
> But the rear bushing removal and install on a Spit/GT6 diff.has to be one
> of the most difficult tasks yet.
> Blisters on my hands, 2 ruined hardened sockets, two stripped threaded
> rods,no less than 8 heavy washers (2 hardened) destroyed, and two nuts
> mangled.
> And 1 Nut drenched in sweat with a pounding headache.
>
> On the plus side, my fresh "home made" locked differential is done and 
> will
> go in the car tonight.
> All this for a couple hours of track time at Road America this weekend.
> Remind me again why it's so rewarding to be your own mechanic.
> Perhaps I'm in the minority of idiots.
> If you were going golfing, can you imagine telling your golfing buddies
> that you had spent the night before a round of 18 holes....laying on the
> floor of your garage floor covered in grease and sweat on the verge of
> tears for more hours than you care to count....fixing your 9 iron?
> Craziness.
>
> Jason Ostrowski
> Friendly Ghost Racing
> _______________________________________________
> [email-masked]
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 09:32:02 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm headed for the Glen next week. Who else is going?

Amen to having a lift available to you.  We've had ours for about 15 years 
now, and I put the cars on the lift...even to wax them.  Lifts are great.  I 
don't sell engineering, but a four inch (or less +/-) concrete floor might 
not have to be an issue.  I believe you can address such an issue by diamond 
saw cutting a pair of 24"x24" holes in your existing floor where the anchor 
bolts need to go, and then digging out a particularly deep pocket 24-30" 
deep, and using extra long anchor bolts.  That's what we did (although I would 
not be surprised if our floor was not 6" to begin with).  I think the lift 
manufacturer give specific directions as to what will work with their unit.  
Ours has a 9,000 pound capacity, and we followed their instructions.  
Again, no engineer, but I think that is far superior to drilling anchor bolts 
into a 6" concrete floor.  

The Beady Eye VINTAGE TRIUMPH Racing Team (in all its Glory) will be at the 
Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival at Road America.  We've never missed one.  We 
had raced the September Watkins Glen event for about eighteen years in a 
row, and we miss not racing there now.  Wismer has family right across the 
border in PA.  But when the two events ended up on the same week end to 
accommodate the SCCA Nationals at Road America, we had to opt'd for our 'home 
track'.

Bill Dentinger

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 09:52:11 -0400 (EDT)

Amici, in general, and Bill Tobin in particular...

It just occurred to me that my hoist is the twin pedestal type with arms 
that come out under the car to lift it.  I'm now thinking yours may be the 
four post type with twin rails that lift the car.  Similar issues, but four 
vice two bearing points.

Obviously, my suggestion might still work to avoid replacing an entire 4" 
(or less) floor with a 6" floor, but four pockets would be required instead 
of two.

Bill Dentinger