Subject: Re: [Fot] Racing as an investment strategy

From: John Houlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:28:15 -0400 (EDT)

Oops, your right Doug.  I meant 4 sessions, two morning, two afternoon.  But
close enough for government work.  What the heck, it's the THEORY that is
sound, not those pesky numbers.  They always get in the way.  Like facts.
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Mitchell <[email-masked]>
To: John Houlton <[email-masked]>
Cc: tarch <[email-masked]>; Fot <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Sep 19, 2012 3:26 pm
Subject: Re: [Fot] Racing as an investment strategy

Government accounting is right if you get 84 laps. 7 laps per session, 2
essions per day for 3 days only works out to 42 laps by my math. But, at Road
merica, that is 168 miles so on the per mile basis... Ouch, my head hurts from
he calculations. :-)
Cheers,
--
oug Mitchell
[email-masked]
Sent from my ASUS Pad
John Houlton <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Here's my way of looking at the financial wisdom of it all:

Last week at ELVF at Road America I completed exactly 1 lap.  In the rain.
(There were also 2 out laps, but I am only counting laps under "green
conditions".

Entry fee:  $515.00
Towing 720 miles round trip:$368.10
Hotel, food, etc. for 3 nights: about $900.00
Misc.:  about $200.00

Let's call it a $2000.00 weekend

So the way I do the math, the true value of racing a Triumph at Road America
is $2000/lap.

If you figure the average session gets you 7 laps, and you do 2 sessions/day
for 3 days, that's 84 laps.  You can also run the enduro, or the extra Cup
race, or maybe even another promotional race, so let's call it 100 laps in a
"normal" weekend.

Since we have established that the "value" is $2000/lap, this means that,
given maximum racing time, one would recieve a value of $200,000 on a small
investment of $2000, which makes racing a Triumph the best investment
anywhere, ever.  This makes people like Tony D. and Bill D. (who seem to have
run well all weekend) very shrewd investors indeed.  Where else can you get a
return like that in such a short time!  That's why I encourage all my friends
to go vintage racing.  With a return like that it's better than self funding,
and we can all look forward to very comfortable retirements.

I think I should work in Government accounting.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Taylor <[email-masked]>
To: fot <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Sep 19, 2012 9:05 am
Subject: [Fot] Racing as an investment strategy

Here is one way to calculate Internal RoR.

Total direct cost of Atlanta Historic's Race last week = + $2150. Weight of
edallion (& blue ribbon) = 2.9 ounces = $741/oz. Current price for gold is
1773/oz. Therefore racing is more than twice the better deal as buying
old!

Richard  L. Taylor, Jr.,    FAIA
TAYLOR    ARCHITECTURE

blocked::blocked::http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=112+Krog+S
.+++Suite+196&csz=Atlanta,+Georgia&country=us> 112  Krog  St.      Suite
96
tlanta,     Georgia,    30307
tel:
blocked::blocked::http://www.plaxo.com/click_to_call?src=jj_signature&To=(4
4)+223-1313&Email=[email-masked]> (404) 223-1313
fax:             (404) 223-1312
mobile:
blocked::blocked::http://www.plaxo.com/click_to_call?src=jj_signature&To=(4
4)+660-4920&Email=[email-masked]> (404) 660-4920
                 <http://www.taylor-architecture.com/>
ww.taylor-architecture.com
______________________________________________
[email-masked]
http://www.fot-racing.com
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
rchive: http://www.team.net/archive
orums: http://www.team.net/forums
nsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:16:38 -0600

Every now and again an "investment guide" shows up on the net.  Basically
it invests $1000 each in various stocks and buys $1000 worth of cheap beer
in aluminum cans.  After one year each of the stocks is worth less than the
amount you'd get by recycling those beer cans.

Finance can be fun!

mjb.