Subject: Re: [Fot] Zenith-Stromberg needle specs

From: Larry Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 12:15:28 -0500

Thanks for locating the spreadsheet, I will get a copy so I can compare 
it to the SU charts that I have.  The ones in Kas' book should give a 
starting point.  This is for a TR250 street car, which I want to warm up 
but maintain an overall stock appearance.  I want it to be like it would 
have been if not for the emission requirements.  More or less like the 
128 mph demonstration car Kas did back in the day.  I've taken the 
compression ratio to 9.5 and put in a longer duration cam (BP270).  I 
have yet to do anything to the carbs, so I'm still running the fixed 
needle Z-S. I want to stick with Z-S to maintain the stock appearance, 
but will need to switch to some adjustable ones or make these adjustable 
(see Buckeye Triumphs).

On 8/29/2012 6:38 PM, Kas Kastner wrote:
> just a reminder that on page 110 of my book the "Handbook" there is a 
> chart of the needles we used with great success in  the 1.5" carbs..  
> These are STROMBERG needles. Lots of number to compare. By the way 
> that is .006" shim stock you need to use an S.U. needle.
>
> Never be beaten by equipment
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Kas Kastner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 18:10:38 +0000

You might try an RH S.U. needle or and RG Which is slightly richer.  These are
a lot leaner than the ones used for racing which are RB  RC nd RA. In  my
famous ntoebook I have a lot of the S.U. needle info. I can scan a page and
send it if it will help. I'll be adding this to my new revised  upgraded
Handbook that I plan to have available as a download within a couple months..

Never be beaten by equipment
 Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 12:15:28 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Zenith-Stromberg needle specs

    Thanks for locating the spreadsheet, I will get a copy so I can
    compare it to the SU charts that I have.  The ones in Kas' book
    should give a starting point.  This is for a TR250 street car, which
    I want to warm up but maintain an overall stock appearance.  I want
    it to be like it would have been if not for the emission
    requirements.  More or less like the 128 mph demonstration car Kas
    did back in the day.  I've taken the compression ratio to 9.5 and
    put in a longer duration cam (BP270).  I have yet to do anything to
    the carbs, so I'm still running the fixed needle Z-S. I want to
    stick with Z-S to maintain the stock appearance, but will need to
    switch to some adjustable ones or make these adjustable (see Buckeye
    Triumphs).

    On 8/29/2012 6:38 PM, Kas Kastner
      wrote:

        just a reminder that on page 110 of my book the "Handbook" there
        is a chart of the needles we used with great success in  the
        1.5" carbs..  These are STROMBERG needles. Lots of number to
        compare. By the way that is .006" shim stock you need to use an
        S.U. needle.

---

From: Vince G <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 14:38:16 -0400

I will have to buy your book and try one of the suggested needles.  I'm doing
much better this race weekend with the needles I just put in. Great power when
fully in the throttle through to 6500 rpm but could be better when i have to
let off and modulating the throttle through a corner. Plugs are a nice tab
color after a good session

Sent from my iPhone

On 2012-09-01, at 2:13 PM, "Kas Kastner" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:18:25 -0500

Thanks for that tip.  I used RC and RB needles in my TR3 race car. I'm 
curious to see how all these needles compare.  I need to get a wideband 
O2 gauge.   This will not happen overnight, so I can probably wait for 
the new book.

On 9/1/2012 1:10 PM, Kas Kastner wrote:
> You might try an RH S.U. needle or and RG Which is slightly richer.  
> These are a lot leaner than the ones used for racing which are RB  RC 
> nd RA. In  my famous ntoebook I have a lot of the S.U. needle info. I 
> can scan a page and send it if it will help. I'll be adding this to my 
> new revised  upgraded *Handbook* that I plan to have available a 
> download within a couple months..
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> compare it to the SU charts that I have.  The ones in Kas' book should 
> give a starting point.  This is for a TR250 street car, which I want 
> to warm up but maintain an overall stock appearance.  I want it to be 
> like it would have been if not for the emission requirements.  More or 
> less like the 128 mph demonstration car Kas did back in the day.  I've 
> taken the compression ratio to 9.5 and put in a longer duration cam 
> (BP270).  I have yet to do anything to the carbs, so I'm still running 
> the fixed needle Z-S. I want to stick with Z-S to maintain the stock 
> appearance, but will need to switch to some adjustable ones or make 
> these adjustable (see Buckeye Triumphs).
>
>
>     is a chart of the needles we used with great success in  the 1.5"
>     carbs..  These are STROMBERG needles. Lots of number to compare.
>     By the way that is .006" shim stock you need to use an S.U. needle.
>

---

From: "Stutzmans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 15:28:06 -0400

Strombergs operate with a deeper jet level than we're used to with SUs. 
Early TR6 carbs have a jet level of .080 below the bridge.  Late TR6 carbs 
use a jet level of .125 below the bridge.  You should first drop the jets to 
.125 for increased richness.  Then try the XKE B1E needle.
Bruce
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Larry Young" <[email-masked]>
To: "Kas Kastner" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "fot" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2012 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Fot] Zenith-Stromberg needle specs

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]