Subject: Re: [Fot] El Kablamo!

From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 18:15:19 -0500

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Edward Dunn wrote

"after a couple easy laps, she let go. In the
first full-on GO lap the engine grenaded"

"Don't quite know what we'll do now..."

Ed,
That is terrible news. I am so sorry to here you have had such a tough time
with your GT6.
I have been surprised to here all the disappointing news about these motors
lately.
We have had lots of things go Kablamo in these cars over the years but the
1998cc motors have always been very reliable.
I'm not sure what I can do to keep you hanging in there... but am happy to
share any info you might need.
Sad and Sorry,
Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
1969 GT6+
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Bobby Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:04:57 -0700 (PDT)

dang Edward... for a minute I thought one of my posts had re-emerged with the 
saga of a blown up engine in a GT6....  then I realized I've never had to 
evacuate the fire bottle system..
bummer.... I feel your pain... 2 years in a row April 2011 and April 2012 (The 
Mitty) I experienced the same catastrophe .... I won't be racing vintage in 
April 2013... that I know of... takes the giggle out of the effort... we all 
know...

Bobby Whitehead

________________________________
From: Edward Dunn <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, September 10, 2012 5:16:13 PM
Subject: [Fot] El Kablamo!

We went racing this past weekend at the VARA Oktoberfest, @ Buttonwillow
Raceway Park in the sweltering San Joaquin Valley.  My wife's Formula V
performed flawlessly as did our Spitfire which our son in law drove in his
very first race.  He did very well, now just has to learn how to RACE...

I attempted to run our GT6, but after a couple easy laps, she let go. In the
first full-on GO lap the engine grenaded quite spectacularly.  7000 RPM, good
oil pressure, and then: loud noise, cockpit fills with smoke/steam, I shut off
master electrical and pull off track. Still smoking so pull fire handle and
bail out, trotting off to a safe distance.  Fortunately the fire bottle
worked, and the thing didn't totally burn to the ground.  Just a small
paint-ruining oil fire, caused by engine oil exiting a large hole blasted in
the side of the block.

This after a "complete race rebuild" a few months ago.  We got ONE good race
weekend out of it, next time out a rocker arm welded itself to the rocker
shaft because of insufficient oiling.  Engine builder didn't install set screw
to keep rocker shaft lined up with oil passage in rocker pedestal.  Got it all
back together, (my dime & labor...) and now this.  Sheesh!

Don't quite know what we'll do now...

Ed

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]