Subject: [Fot] El Kablamo!

From: Edward Dunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:13:29 -0700

We went racing this past weekend at the VARA Oktoberfest, @ Buttonwillow
Raceway Park in the sweltering San Joaquin Valley.  My wife's Formula V
performed flawlessly as did our Spitfire which our son in law drove in his
very first race.  He did very well, now just has to learn how to RACE...

I attempted to run our GT6, but after a couple easy laps, she let go. In the
first full-on GO lap the engine grenaded quite spectacularly.  7000 RPM, good
oil pressure, and then: loud noise, cockpit fills with smoke/steam, I shut off
master electrical and pull off track. Still smoking so pull fire handle and
bail out, trotting off to a safe distance.  Fortunately the fire bottle
worked, and the thing didn't totally burn to the ground.  Just a small
paint-ruining oil fire, caused by engine oil exiting a large hole blasted in
the side of the block.

This after a "complete race rebuild" a few months ago.  We got ONE good race
weekend out of it, next time out a rocker arm welded itself to the rocker
shaft because of insufficient oiling.  Engine builder didn't install set screw
to keep rocker shaft lined up with oil passage in rocker pedestal.  Got it all
back together, (my dime & labor...) and now this.  Sheesh!

Don't quite know what we'll do now...

Ed
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]