Subject: [Fot] Road Atlanta

From: "Richard Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:14:25 -0400

ANATOMY OF A VINTAGE RACE. Road Atlanta Oct. 14 - 16, 2012

1.       Two weeks before race: remove head and grind 3 angle valve seats.
Replace guides and all valves. 

2.       One week to go; replace head, crank up  engine and hear the deep
stomach growling of a loose piston. Plea goes out to FOT.

3.       Four days to go; pull head, pan, pistons, etc. and discover
collapsed piston (called by Kas).

4.       Cannot get 89 mm kit in 3 days so overnight 87 mm pistons &
sleeves. Install that night.

5.       One day before race; drive to Road Atlanta but engine fails 10
miles from track. Broken rocker arm shaft. (#4 exhaust cantilever).

6.       Drive 50 miles back to ATL on 3 cylinders (& rush hour traffic
pulling trailer)and locate used shaft. Install & drive back to RA.

7.       Saturday: Lose overdrive in 2nd qualifying race. Find hidden broken
wire. Ready for Sunday Enduro.

8.       Sunday morning: running first in class, 1 :10 in the 1:15 minute
race, left front wheel bearing fries = DNF.

9.       Drive with Neil back to ATL and remove front disk & old bearings
from junked TR-3. Rush back to RA & install.

10.   Feature @ 1515. Finish first in class. (It's none of your business how
large the class was!)

11.   Sunday, 1800, finish turning #196 back into street car. Hook up
trailer and drive home with a total sense of satisfaction.

As anyone who reads this knows, this kind of tom-foolery cannot be done
without the support of a bunch of friends. My friend, Neil Estes, (Neil's
Restorations) tops the list for this weekend. Ted Schumacher is a close
second and, of course, Kas was the looming support in the background.

Thanks gang!

The only other Triumph at the track was Greg Kimbrough's  #551 Spitfire. My
little anguish-list above appears inconsequential  compared to the nose
damage his car sustained during qualifying. It looked seriously whoomped. 

Richard  L. Taylor, Jr.,    FAIA

TAYLOR    ARCHITECTURE
 
<blocked::blocked::http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=112+Krog+S
t.+++Suite+196&csz=Atlanta,+Georgia&country=us> 112  Krog  St.      Suite
196
Atlanta,     Georgia,    30307

tel:
<blocked::blocked::http://www.plaxo.com/click_to_call?src=jj_signature&To=(4
04)+223-1313&Email=[email-masked]> (404) 223-1313 

fax:             (404) 223-1312

mobile:
<blocked::blocked::http://www.plaxo.com/click_to_call?src=jj_signature&To=(4
04)+660-4920&Email=[email-masked]> (404) 660-4920 

                 <http://www.taylor-architecture.com/>
www.taylor-architecture.com
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]