Subject: [Fot] Damn Differential

From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 18:27:23 -0500

Well I think I reached a new high level of frustration in Triumphing Today.
Surely there are tools out there to make this a quick and easy job....but
yet again tools I don't have.
I have done a lot of hard and frustrating jobs on these cars over the years.
But the rear bushing removal and install on a Spit/GT6 diff.has to be one
of the most difficult tasks yet.
Blisters on my hands, 2 ruined hardened sockets, two stripped threaded
rods,no less than 8 heavy washers (2 hardened) destroyed, and two nuts
mangled.
And 1 Nut drenched in sweat with a pounding headache.

On the plus side, my fresh "home made" locked differential is done and will
go in the car tonight.
All this for a couple hours of track time at Road America this weekend.
Remind me again why it's so rewarding to be your own mechanic.
Perhaps I'm in the minority of idiots.
If you were going golfing, can you imagine telling your golfing buddies
that you had spent the night before a round of 18 holes....laying on the
floor of your garage floor covered in grease and sweat on the verge of
tears for more hours than you care to count....fixing your 9 iron?
Craziness.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: EDWARD BARNARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 19:26:36 -0700 (PDT)

Jason: Helpful hint for the future...sorry it comes too late. I use a hole saw
and drill the rubber and center tube out. Then I use a hacksaw blade (you
could use an air driven hacksaw) and cut through the outer tube. One cut is
usually enough; sometimes it takes two cuts. That allows the tube to
collaspe.  To put the new ones in, I bevel the leading edge and smear
anti-seize on the the metal outside. A press makes these go right in.
Again, sorry you had a less then joyful day.
-Ed- 

--- On Mon, 8/6/12, Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] Damn Differential
To: "triumph friends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, August 6, 2012, 6:27 PM

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: EDWARD BARNARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 06:28:11 -0700 (PDT)

Chris:
I believe one of us is mistaken in what Jason was doing. I'm under the impression the he was replacing the mounting bushings on the rear of a Spit/GT6 pumpkin. I think you believe he was replacing the carrier bearings.
Either way, he's over the hump and it's well earned smiles now and something to talk about in the paddock on a Saturday night.
-Ed-

--- On Tue, 8/7/12, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Damn Differential
To: "Jason Ostrowski" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], "triumph friends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2012, 1:00 AM

Head up!
You've made it.
Diff work is one of the unpleasant part with any car. Now the happy times are back.
I hate these diff work too but made me dummy bearing which slip to the diff without force and installing is a pleasure. If everything is right then the final bearing are forced in place. 

Cheers 
Chris 
Gesendet mit BlackBerry von Vodafone

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]>
To: triumph friends<[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] Damn Differential

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 15:58:48 +0200

I think you are right.

I was on the wrong path.

Von: EDWARD BARNARD [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Gesendet: Dienstag, 7. August 2012 15:28
An: Jason Ostrowski; triumph friends; [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Fot] Damn Differential

Chris:

I believe one of us is mistaken in what Jason was doing. I'm under the
impression the he was replacing the mounting bushings on the rear of a
Spit/GT6 pumpkin. I think you believe he was replacing the carrier bearings.
Either way, he's over the hump and it's well earned smiles now and something
to talk about in the paddock on a Saturday night.

-Ed-

--- On Tue, 8/7/12, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
wrote:

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Damn Differential
To: "Jason Ostrowski" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
"triumph friends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2012, 1:00 AM

Head up!
You've made it.
Diff work is one of the unpleasant part with any car. Now the happy times
are back.
I hate these diff work too but made me dummy bearing which slip to the diff
without force and installing is a pleasure. If everything is right then the
final bearing are forced in place. 

Cheers 
Chris 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]
<http://us.mc1844.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=[email-masked]> >
<http://us.mc1844.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=[email-masked]
e> : Mon, 6 Aug 2012 18:27:23 
To: triumph friends<[email-masked]
<http://us.mc1844.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=[email-masked]> >
Subject: [Fot] Damn Differential

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
<http://us.mc1844.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=[email-masked]> 

http://www.fot-racing.com <http://www.fot-racing.com/> 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
<http://us.mc1844.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=[email-masked]> 

http://www.fot-racing.com <http://www.fot-racing.com/>