Subject: Re: [Fot] Damn Differential

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 06:00:43 +0000

Head up!
You've made it.
Diff work is one of the unpleasant part with any car. Now the happy times are back.
I hate these diff work too but made me dummy bearing which slip to the diff without force and installing is a pleasure. If everything is right then the final bearing are forced in place. 

Cheers 
Chris 
Gesendet mit BlackBerry von Vodafone

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Ostrowski <[email-masked]>
To: triumph friends<[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fot] Damn Differential

Well I think I reached a new high level of frustration in Triumphing Today.
Surely there are tools out there to make this a quick and easy job....but
yet again tools I don't have.
I have done a lot of hard and frustrating jobs on these cars over the years.
But the rear bushing removal and install on a Spit/GT6 diff.has to be one
of the most difficult tasks yet.
Blisters on my hands, 2 ruined hardened sockets, two stripped threaded
rods,no less than 8 heavy washers (2 hardened) destroyed, and two nuts
mangled.
And 1 Nut drenched in sweat with a pounding headache.

On the plus side, my fresh "home made" locked differential is done and will
go in the car tonight.
All this for a couple hours of track time at Road America this weekend.
Remind me again why it's so rewarding to be your own mechanic.
Perhaps I'm in the minority of idiots.
If you were going golfing, can you imagine telling your golfing buddies
that you had spent the night before a round of 18 holes....laying on the
floor of your garage floor covered in grease and sweat on the verge of
tears for more hours than you care to count....fixing your 9 iron?
Craziness.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 02:05:16 -0700

> I hate these diff work too but made me dummy bearing which 
> slip to the diff without force and installing is a pleasure. 

Something to watch for, though, not all new bearings are the same thickness
as the old ones.  I opened a pair of diff carrier bearings the other day
that were not only both different than the originals, but different from
each other!  

I've ordered another pair from a different source, supposedly Timken brand
this time, maybe they'll be better.  But last time I went through this, the
input bearing was different by roughly .030" and they were both Timkens.

-- Randall