Subject: Re: [Fot] The MITTY...reprise...

From: "Joe Boruch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 00:54:01 GMT

Bill what brand of tire blew out?  I had a Goodyear Marathon blow out about 10
years ago.  Bought a set of them a couple years later, since I did not trust
the remaining ones.  Last year I decided that they were old enough and it was
time to replace them, even though they still looked good.  The Goodyears are
all now made in China and I found very few trailer tires made in the US.  The
reviews on the US tires were not very good and they seemed as bad as the china
bombs.  I bought a set of Maxxis tires, which are made in Taiwan.  Not sure if
they will be better than the tires from China, but the reviews were good.

Seems like one of the keys is to buy tires that are well over the capacity
than what what is needed.  Joe(B)

---------- Original Message ----------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fot] The MITTY...reprise...
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 15:42:13 -0400 (EDT)

Amici...

Shirley and I stayed over night in Buford, GA on Sunday, and left for
points north on Monday morning.  Just below Knoxville, TN, in the Appellation
foothills, we had a violent blowout on one of the trailer tires.  There was a
hole I could put my fist through.  Thank God it was on driver's right, and
not the traffic side, as there was little or no shoulder to make repairs.

The biggest issue was getting the trailer high enough to get the wheel off
and a spare on.  The loaded trailer is at least 6,000 pounds, and my jack,
while rated for 4,000 pounds, does not operate (roll) all that well in the
gravel/grass..  I sure did not want to have to unload the race car out there
on the highway in order to raise the trailer.  So I used a jack stand to
maintain lift, while taking four or five separate bites and lifts with my
jack.
It was a big deal, but I finally got it up high enough, and after that it
was a piece of cake.   We bought two new trailer tires in Knoxville, and were
on our way.  Back home now, I think I'll buy two more tires for the other
side.  I usually cover my trailer tires when it is standing for any length of
time.  These tires looked great, had plenty of tread, but were manufactured
in 2002 and 2004.  Obviously age is an issue.  No one has to tell me that.

That same evening we stopped overnight in Frankfort, KY, just in time for a
two hour tornado scare (sirens the whole time).  The sky looked very bad.
We did see trailing funnel clouds, but as far as I know none of them touched
ground.  Shades of TRIUMPH at Hallet a few years back.

Racing is sure exciting.

Bill Dentinger
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

____________________________________________________________
Get Free Email with Video Mail & Video Chat!
http://www.netzero.net/freeemail?refcd=NZTAGOUT1FREM0210
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]