Subject: [Fot] Racing, etc.

From: Edward Dunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 16:21:06 -0700

After breaking at Willow Springs we discovered my GT6 rocker shaft had been
installed incorrectly by the engine builder. It was not properly retained by
the setscrew, rotated, and reduced oil flow through the shaft. Consequently,
the forward three rockers were starved for oil. The #1 rocker (forward-most)
seized on the shaft, and broke.  The #2 rocker scored the shaft, and the #3
did score a bit as well.  A simple blunder that totally screwed me out of a
good race weekend.

The GT6 has been problematic, to say the least, but I still love it. We feel
that when we get it back together, most of the teething problems will be
resolved.  When it's running, it's a real blast to drive.

I just made a deal to buy a very well prepared Spitfire; ex Jerry Craft, Jerry
Alford and possibly Buster Callahan.  Renewed & rebuilt by Joe Siam.  After
driving a Sports Renault last weekend at the VARA British Extravaganza, I
decided that another Triumph would be a better fit than the sports racer.
I'll pick up the Spit tomorrow.  Hoping to have a running Triumph race car
available for all events we wish to run.

Ed Dunn
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Solow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 18:51:18 -0700

Be sure to take a look at the cam, lifters and pushrods. If the rocker arms 
siezed on the shaft and then broke, the loads on the cam lifters and 
pushrods also went way up also.  There may be more damage than there might 
at first appear to be. The valves and guides at the front of the engine may 
also have suffered.
                                                                             
                                    Greg Solow
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Edward Dunn" <[email-masked]>
To: "fot" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:21 PM
Subject: [Fot] Racing, etc.

> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]