Subject: Re: [Fot] Fot Digest, Vol 66, Issue 42 - towing

From: George Harmuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:06:22 -0400

I was using my "new" mini motorhome for the first time going to this event.
For years I've been towing my open 3500LB trailer with a 1985 35 foot Class
A (16,000 Lbs) motorhome with a 454 (gas) engine. No matter where I went
with it, if I kept it under 70, I'd get 5.5 -6 MPG. After doing some rough
guesses on the amount of gas to get to the Mitty and back to NY, I started
looking for a smaller rig.

I eventually found a 96 Chevy 1 ton van based Class B motorhome. It has a
fuel injected 350 gas engine, 29K miles and everything inside with the
exception of a shower that the old behemoth had, just on a smaller scale
(17' vs 35'). Since it was the first trip in it, I was checking milage just
about every stop on the way down (Up and down hill almost all the way
there). I got a worst of 8 MPG in PA and a best of almost 13 when we got
closer to GA. Over all on the trip it came out to just under 10 MPG, so I
"saved" almost $600 with the new rig. My 1st run in the thing, a 2 hour
trip home, when I bought it last month, nothing in tow, at 65-70 MPH,
averaged ~20 MPG so I think it's a keeper. I'll lay off the twinkies (does
Light beer weigh less too?) and see what stuff I don't really need in the
trailer , and maybe get it up to 12 MPG for my local events (with fewer
hills) at Limerock, Watkins Glen, NJMP and Pocono.

63 Spitfire #7

G. Michael Harmuth
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 12:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

1999 Class B Ford motorhome chassis  TRITON V8

Open Trailer  with Ambro   =  3500#

13 mpg @ 60 mph

Motor Home offsets a lot of the motel costs on any given trip, but
maintenance, depreciation, etc still makes it a lifestyle choice. Sure is nice
having at the track, though.

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.
645 1st Street
Jesup, Iowa 50648
319.464.4711  (cell)
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: George Harmuth <[email-masked]>
To: fot <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, May 17, 2012 10:49 am
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fot Digest, Vol 66, Issue 42 - towing

63 Spitfire #7

G. Michael Harmuth

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: TR4 Tony <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 23:36:29 +0100

Jeez

You guys and juice  !

When im trailering 'Beastie' im getting 40 mpg average with my diesel BMW 530
msport estate and my lightweight streamlined covered Trailer at 70 mph .... I
can't afford to truck at your prices ! Beastie does 10 mpg so I'd rather drive
and sleep in the hedges with the wildlife !

Regards

Tony

Sent from my iPhone

On 17 May 2012, at 17:12, Joe Alexander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Norlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 07:25:08 -0700

2004 Winnebago Class A motorhome with the 8.1 liter Chevy gas engine.  
Trailer is a 20 ft. enclosed Pace for the Spitfire.  Combined weight is 
around 21k lbs.

I drive around 60 on the freeways.  Average 9.3 when not towing, 8.3 
when flat towing my Subaru Forester and 7.3 when towing the Pace.

Except in North Dakota where you are fighting a head wind no matter 
which way you're going and then the mileage hovers between 5-6.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]