Subject: [Fot] The MITTY...reprise...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 15:42:13 -0400 (EDT)

Amici...

Shirley and I stayed over night in Buford, GA on Sunday, and left for 
points north on Monday morning.  Just below Knoxville, TN, in the Appellation 
foothills, we had a violent blowout on one of the trailer tires.  There was a 
hole I could put my fist through.  Thank God it was on driver's right, and 
not the traffic side, as there was little or no shoulder to make repairs.  

The biggest issue was getting the trailer high enough to get the wheel off 
and a spare on.  The loaded trailer is at least 6,000 pounds, and my jack, 
while rated for 4,000 pounds, does not operate (roll) all that well in the 
gravel/grass..  I sure did not want to have to unload the race car out there 
on the highway in order to raise the trailer.  So I used a jack stand to 
maintain lift, while taking four or five separate bites and lifts with my jack.  
It was a big deal, but I finally got it up high enough, and after that it 
was a piece of cake.   We bought two new trailer tires in Knoxville, and were 
on our way.  Back home now, I think I'll buy two more tires for the other 
side.  I usually cover my trailer tires when it is standing for any length of 
time.  These tires looked great, had plenty of tread, but were manufactured 
in 2002 and 2004.  Obviously age is an issue.  No one has to tell me that.  

That same evening we stopped overnight in Frankfort, KY, just in time for a 
two hour tornado scare (sirens the whole time).  The sky looked very bad.  
We did see trailing funnel clouds, but as far as I know none of them touched 
ground.  Shades of TRIUMPH at Hallet a few years back.

Racing is sure exciting.

Bill Dentinger
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "william r tobin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 18:56:20 -0400

Bill, I carry (but haven't used yet!) a thing called a trailer buddy, I 
think. Just a small ramp.  In case of a flat, put the ramp in front of the 
good tire and pull the trailer onto it. The flat tire just dangles there and 
can easily be changed.
Be sure to loosen the lug nuts first.
You can make one yourself using some 2 X 8s, but they are heavy.
Also useful when greasing wheel bearings.
Note to any PRDA members: This will NOT work on single axle trailer! (A 
little humor)
Bill---- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 3:42 PM
Subject: [Fot] The MITTY...reprise...

> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 19:12:01 -0400 (EDT)

Bill, I carry (but haven't used yet!) a thing called a trailer buddy, I
hink. Just a small ramp.  In case of a flat, put the ramp in front of the
od tire and pull the trailer onto it. The flat tire just dangles there and
easily be changed.
e sure to loosen the lug nuts first.
Bill...
What a super idea.  I will add that to my 'stuff'.
Thanks.
Bill
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 19:16:19 -0500

Bill,
Sorry to hear about your tire troubles. I had a similar incident with my
trailer last Nov. Great tread but 2005 build date. Blew one at 65 mph with two
TR 4's on board. I pulled the trailer up onto a stack of 2x8's I packed. That
saved the day. I was close to a truck tire store and I had it fixed quickly
but within 10 miles smother tire had the treads separate. I got lucky because
I was stopping for lunch and checked the tires. They sell special plastic
thingies to do the same thing. I'll buy one as soon as I get over the price of
four new trailer tires.

.....,,,and I got an envelope from you today..... very classy on your part,
thank you.

Glad the two of you made it home safe.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Bob Bownes -Seiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 21:14:42 -0400

I've always used a curb. :)

On May 4, 2012, at 19:12, [email-masked] wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]