Subject: [Fot] Wiring

From: Jim Norlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 20:40:45 -0700

So, I'm in the process of rewiring the Spit.  I mentioned this at the 
local Triumph club gathering the other nite and someone asked me how 
much of the wiring on the race car was still stock.  I had to think for 
a moment, and then said - um - the tail lights.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 22:43:13 -0600

One of the race Spits I purchased a while back [ The one in my facebook 
cover ] had an issue
with the wiring.  EVERY single wire on it was yellow.

It didn't take long for me to rip it all out and redo it in color coded 
circuits.  MUCH easier
to track down gremlins.

mjb.

---

From: "Rocky Entriken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 01:25:00 -0500

Heh, heh, not even the taillights here. Mine's wired up so I have four 
taillights, including what were the turn signals. Nice when one or two burn 
out so I still have a couple. Although last time that happened (none of the 
four would stay lit) we flogged inside the trunk seems like hours trying to 
make them work. I only got on the track by the grace of a grid chief and a 
pit steward who thought they saw a flash. The culprit turned out to be not 
in the trunk, but something that WAS still stock, the button under the brake 
pedal.

So I bought a new one from Victoria British, cheap plastic thing (the 
original was in a sturdy metal case) that broke when the brake pedal slipped 
while trying to install it. A second one was installed, but when I stepped 
on the brake and let it snap back that one broke too. Got the third one to 
stay together but didn't trust it. It was someone on this list suggested a 
Honda unit, which I got -- aha, sturdy metal case -- and it's all worked 
fine ever since.

Speaking of Vicky Brit, just had another encounter with them. Just put new 
GT6 corners on the car but the rebuilt brake calipers didn't come with pins 
to hold the brake pads in place (Ted S. found and sent me three but of 
course I need four; and I decided I wanted all four the right size when I 
bedded new pads), so I ordered up the set from VB. So what they send are 
Ford/Fiat parts, which would've worked except they were the wrong size --  
3/16" packaged under the part number that was correct for the 1/4" units I 
needed. And more, at the discounted price of $9.95 plus shipping of $7.75. 
Silly me to think the place closest to me (we're both in Kansas) would get 
them to me quick, but parts ordered online on Sunday that they should've 
seen Monday morning took 4 days to move 200 miles down I-70 to me, arriving 
Thursday by UPS. Reordered from the Roadster Factory last Friday. They 
arrived in Monday's mail, plain ole first class from Pennsylvania, the 
correct parts at a price of $5.99 and shipping of $4.25.

--Rocky Entriken

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Norlin" <[email-masked]>
To: "FOT" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 10:40 PM
Subject: [Fot] Wiring

> local Triumph club gathering the other nite and someone asked me how much 
> of the wiring on the race car was still stock.  I had to think for a 
> moment, and then said - um - the tail lights.
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 01:29:22 -0600

Rocky Entriken wrote:

 > It was someone on this list suggested a Honda unit, which I got -- 
aha, sturdy metal case
 >  -- and it's all worked fine ever since.

Probably me.  I remember after 15 years or so the switch went out on our '87
Civic Si.  I removed the broken switch from the Honda, looked at it and hey,
this looks familiar...   Bought 2 at the dealer, kept on on the shelf 
until one
of my Spits needed it.

Kind of like the time I was working on the brakes of my old Datsun 720 
pickup.
Laid the old pads on the workbench, and there just happened to be some old
TR4 pads there as well.  That was about the time I started buying 240Z pads
because *everybody* had those.

mjb.