Subject: [Fot] silicone brake fluid

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 13:21:42 +0000 (UTC)

I have been using silicone brake fluid for ever it seems, in the race car and my street car. !0+ years on the same master cyl, calipers and rear wheel cyls.  This year I rebuilt my master cyl., front calipers and new rear wheel cyl. Please don't ask me why! Poor brakes by the end of one race. So I ordered a new master cyl.,which I recieved yesterday. Open the box and included is a note, " use of silicone fluid voids warranty". OK the question, are the newer seals not compatable with silicone? 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "MadMarx" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:52:01 +0200

The seals were never compatible with silicone.
Maybe they might stand silicone but most manufacturer doesn't test it.

Cheers
Chris (Who runs ATE blue racing)

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von [email-masked]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012 15:22
An: Friends of Triumph
Betreff: [Fot] silicone brake fluid

I have been using silicone brake fluid for ever it seems, in the race car
and my street car. !0+ years on the same master cyl, calipers and rear wheel
cyls.  This year I rebuilt my master cyl., front calipers and new rear wheel
cyl. Please don't ask me why! Poor brakes by the end of one race. So I
ordered a new master cyl.,which I recieved yesterday. Open the box and
included is a note, " use of silicone fluid voids warranty". OK the
question, are the newer seals not compatable with silicone?
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:02:59 -0500

>From what I have seen nearly all of the new built cylinders will carry that
warning.  I think it's more of an insurance disclaimer since silicone is not
DOT approved for use in street cars.  I too have used it in my cars and
setup many others with silicone and what I have found in the past couple of
years is that the seals don't have a sharp enough edge to hold the silicone!
As we know this stuff is very slippery and if the seal edge is just slightly
rounded the silicone will seep by resulting in loss and a soft pedal.  I
remember in years gone by that the seals one could buy had rather sharp
sealing edges and the seals today are definitely more rounded.  It also
seems that to buy seals alone from auto parts stores is a thing of the past
and not many carry the old box of seals any longer. 

All you can do now is search for seals that will work.

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:22 AM
To: Friends of Triumph
Subject: [Fot] silicone brake fluid

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 10:11:20 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Steve Yott.....were you at the MITTY and we didnt see you?

I think several of us now have your special machined oil pump in our cars.

I assume they are still available?

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.
645 1st Street
Jesup, Iowa 50648
319.464.4711  (cell)
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Yott <[email-masked]>
To: 4everglades <[email-masked]>; 'Friends of Triumph'
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, May 22, 2012 9:03 am
Subject: Re: [Fot] silicone brake fluid

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 07:27:09 -0700

On 5/22/12 7:02 AM, Steve Yott wrote:
> DOT approved for use in street cars.
DOT 5 brake fluid sold in all my local auto parts stores is not approved 
for use in cars?  I had no idea.

Teriann

DOT 5 Silicone in the TR3 since about 1990.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: TR4 Tony <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:09:41 +0100

I use Castrol SRF for both brake and clutch and have had a few issues with
slave cylinders where the seals are quite square in the bores. Apart from that
only a slight seepage that's hardly noticeable and definately no failures so
it appears to be the answer.

Sent from my iPhone

and my street car. !0+ years on the same master cyl, calipers and rear wheel
cyls.  This year I rebuilt my master cyl., front calipers and new rear wheel
cyl. Please don't ask me why! Poor brakes by the end of one race. So I ordered
a new master cyl.,which I recieved yesterday. Open the box and included is a
note, " use of silicone fluid voids warranty". OK the question, are the newer
seals not compatable with silicone?
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Henry Morrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:08:13 -0600

I raced my TR3 with the original calipers with Silicone Brake fluid one time.
The Brakes on the 3 got real hot on a good day.  The silicone was vaporizing
to where most corners were "two pumpers"  I didn't brake on the cool down lap
and came up behind the line of cars pulling into the pits and I was in a panic
as I had no brakes, it took about 10 pumps and I did manage to stop without
having to scrub off speed on anyone's car.  I changed to something else, now
my favorite is Valvoline synthetic.  Compare the Boiling point numbers between
Silicone and anything else, Silicone is quite low.

The Army uses silicone in their trucks so that all those sitting in Germany
have brakes when the Rusky's attack.  Silicone doesn't absorb water so it
lasts a long time.

I use silicone in my Healey cause when I spill it it doesn't screw up the
paint and I don't drive it hard.

and that's all I have to say about that.

Cheers Henry Morrison

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 08:53:47 -0700

> I think it's more of an insurance disclaimer since 
> silicone is not

I agree about the insurance disclaimer, but not the reason for it.
Regardless of DOT approval, brake manufacturers have to test their
equipment; and none of them test with DOT 5.  Reproduction parts are a
particular problem, since the tests were done long ago and no one is going
to invest in repeating them now.

I also believe there are better choices for the track, eg any "racing" fluid
with frequent changes.  That said, I've been using DOT 5 on the street for a
long time, and I'm very happy with it.  My rate of hydraulic problems has
dropped dramatically since I started using DOT 5.

There have been some reports of seals that were not compatible with DOT 5.
IMO they fall in the same category as antifreeze in toothpaste, someone is
cheating somewhere.

-- Randall

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:05:43 -0700

I've seen the same notice and have simply disregarded it.  I think the
manufacturers have an agreement with the paint manufacturers so they can
sell more paint.

Joe C.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:22 AM
To: Friends of Triumph
Subject: [Fot] silicone brake fluid

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Terry Stetler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:26:35 -0400

My street TR3 has had silicone in it since it hit the road in about 1982.
Never an issue.

Now of late many of my customer's cars, particularly US cars from the 50s/60s,
which I see a lot of, have been 50/50 with it.  Seems I have more troubles
with GM products as well.

Terry Stetler

---

From: John Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 20:28:41 -0400

10-4 on the SFR. The thing to use iny humble opinion though $70 per quart is a
bit much

Sent from my iPhone

> cyl. Please don't ask me why! Poor brakes by the end of one race. So I
ordered
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Yott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 22:11:03 -0500

Joe and all,
Well the short story is that I was heading to the MITTY and made it almost
through Kentucky but was not feeling well and decided to return to home.
Everyone tells me I missed a great time.
 
As far as the oil pumps I am very happy that so many are now running on the
road!  I have produced over 50 of them so far and from what I have heard all
are working well.  That is great news which reflects on the wisdom of the
machinists I use that came up with the final idea.  I am currently out of
the custom pump rotors and it will be awhile before I get another batch
machined.  I really hate to say that the costs will be going up again as I
have needed to order rebuild kits to obtain the outer rotors.  To have those
machined is a very high cost since they would need to be EDM machined.  I
now order the rebuild kits and use the outer rotor and toss the inners!
 
So I should have another batch ready by the end of summer and I would
appreciate anyone wanting a pump to let me know so I can get an idea on the
quantity to order.
 
PS: I use bronze valve guides that I machine!  I also use a clearance of
.002"   Just had to get that in!!!!!
 
Steve Yott
Silver Lake, WI

  _____  

From: Joe Alexander [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:11 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] silicone brake fluid....now oil pump.

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.
645 1st Street
Jesup, Iowa 50648
319.464.4711  (cell)
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Yott <[email-masked]>
To: 4everglades <[email-masked]>; 'Friends of Triumph'
<[email-masked]>

Steve Yott

-----Original Message-----

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]?> ] On

To: Friends of Triumph

[email-masked]

[email-masked]