Subject: [Fot] Almost ready for Mitty, kind of almost

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:25:46 -0400

Just finishing up the final touches of a 7 month restoration of the Spitfire
getting ready to head South next week. Down to the point of adjusting hood
stops and stupid stuff like that. Ok, now the hard stuff. I THINK I JUST BLEW
THE ENGINE TONIGHT #$^%&!!.  Actually had it running in the driveway and it
was sounding fan frickin tastic, Playing with the carbs, timing, checking for
leaks, all is right with the world. Backed it in the garage and blipped the
throttle one more time and WIDE OPEN THROTTLE! Frantically stomped the gas one
time to see if it would free up. I know that is not what I should have done
first but in the spur of the moment that is what the brain told my body to do.
Next reached up and killed the ignition.  Probably only ran for a second,
possibly two max but it seamed like an eternity. When I killed the engine
"something" continued to freewheel for about 3 to 5 seconds making metal
rubbing sounds. After gaining my composure I put a wrench on the crank and it
appeared to turn free, no out of the ordinary feeling. So I guess I start
tearing into it after work tomorrow. Any idea what could have been
freewheeling after the engine stopped? At least from the drivers seat I think
the engine stopped, I would not thing the entire assembly could have kept
spinning that long do you?  Oh, the cause, I did not have the transmission
tunnel cover attached, just sitting there in the car so when I blipped the
throttle the stop under the gas peddle hooked itself under the lip of the
cover. Note to self, don't ever do that again. Marty
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Clark W. Nicholls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:48:46 -0400

Snapped the crank at rear main bearing and the flywheel played on...?

Restored? You mean no more NARRC stickers?
I can get you some if you need them...

Shirts look great! Thanks!

Clark
Clark W. Nicholls
1972 Stag (LE7931E), 1974 Spitfire (FM14571U) 
and 1 rusty GT6 needing new owner
"Reality, it's not what you think."
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: robert bownes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:00:40 -0400

With a bit of luck it's nothing catastrophic. Maybe belt broke and it was
the water pump...Or just your overactive imagination...

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM, marty sukey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:11:42 -0400 (EDT)

Marty,

Did you at least try cranking it over by key ?  Nothing visibly out of place
while under the bonnet ?

Best wishes,
Bob Totten

PS  by the way it looks like I may not have my car for the Mitty ( block still
at the machinist ), so thinking I may not go.

-----Original Message-----
From: robert bownes <[email-masked]>
To: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Cc: FOT <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm
Subject: Re: [Fot] Almost ready for Mitty, kind of almost

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM, marty sukey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Just finishing up the final touches of a 7 month restoration of the

> Spitfire

> stops and stupid stuff like that. Ok, now the hard stuff. I THINK I JUST

> BLEW

> was sounding fan frickin tastic, Playing with the carbs, timing, checking

> for

> throttle one more time and WIDE OPEN THROTTLE! Frantically stomped the gas

> one

> first but in the spur of the moment that is what the brain told my body to

> do.

> rubbing sounds. After gaining my composure I put a wrench on the crank and

> it

> freewheeling after the engine stopped? At least from the drivers seat I

> think

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 20:16:37 -0600

Clutch release brg ?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

-----Original message-----
From: robert bownes <[email-masked]>
To: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Cc: FOT <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Apr 19, 2012 20:00:40 MDT
Subject: Re: [Fot] Almost ready for Mitty, kind of almost

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:06:11 -0400

Update:  Pulled the valve cover and cranked the engine over with a wrench.
Valve train appears intact. Pulled the oil pan and again rotated things around
with a wrench and crank and connecting rods all look in one piece. Could the
flywheel bolts have broke?  I guess we will pull the transmission tomorrow
night and see what things look like back there.  Then possibly pull the head?
It did throw the fan belt and the water pump would have been spinning but when
i turn the water pump by hand I don't hear any noises. And that rotating noise
I describe in my earlier email was loud enough that my wife heard it in the
house (windows open) which is about 30 feet from my shop.  ah, tomorrow is
another day. And saturday and Sunday and........ Marty
 > From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Fot] Almost ready for Mitty, kind of almost
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:48:46 -0400
>

---

From: robert bownes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:24:31 -0400

Hmmm. Let's hope for a clutch bearing. Crank would be a pain.

---

From: Tony Drews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:45:38 -0500

What happens when you hit the starter button?  If the flywheel bolts 
sheared, it shouldn't do much...

Tony

At 10:06 PM 4/19/2012, marty sukey wrote:
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]"<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:18:34 -0700

My vote is for the ring gear.

Chequered Flag Joseph P Siam 

-----Original message-----
From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
To: FOT <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Apr 19, 2012 18:25:46 PDT
Subject: [Fot] Almost ready for Mitty, kind of almost

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:11:36 -0400

Ran home at lunch time and did some more investigation.  Hit the starter and
starter rotated but nothing on the engine side. Climbed under the car and
looked at the snout at the rear of the crank after the last main bearing. As I
rotated the crank using a wrench at the front I could see the rear snout still
rotating along with the rest of the crank. Possibly I dodged a bullet.  We
will be pulling the transmission after work to see what is going on back
there. I should have a new set of flywheel bolts being delivered to my house
about 10:00 tonight.  If it is indeed just broken flywheel bolts we should be
back in business in the wee hours of the morning. Still hoping to head south
on wednesday.

Marty