Subject: [Fot] Clutch suggestions?

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:06:06 -0500

Since we built my Spitfire in 2003, I've been using the stock clutch and
pressure plate.  Late last season, Mr. Barker did a head for me.   Since
then, I've had a little clutch slip.  This is a pretty new clutch plate,
but the pressure plate is of unknown age - has worked fine to date, but
everything wears out eventually, right?

Any thoughts on the cause?  Is it likely the increased torque/HP is just
overpowering the clutch?  The new motor should be putting out something
like 110-115HP, based on Mr. Barker's estimate.  Is that beyond what the
stock clutch can handle?

Options: (1) buy a new stock pressure plate and clutch disk and see how
it goes; (2) upgrade to some sort of competition clutch; or (3) get used
to that nasty clutch smell.  Other options I'm not considering?

I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible if I need to upgrade.

Any thoughts on upgrade options?

Scott B.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: Duncan Charlton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:33:44 -0500

Hi Scott,

The pressure plate springs can lose tension over time.  The situation with our
'71 Morgan Plus 8 was similar to yours -- an unknown vintage pressure plate
with a fairly new friction plate, but I was getting noticeable clutch slip in
3rd gear, even though the engine was worn and wheezy at the time.

Duncan
(Texas)
1952 Morgan Plus 4 #6 red

---

From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:36:15 -0500

Thanks, Duncan.  That's what I'm hoping is going on, since I'd like to
retain the stock clutch set-up (or stock-ish, possibly).  I've gotten a
number of responses off-line with that suggestion.

Since that's the answer I like, I'm fairly sure they must be correct :-)

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan Charlton [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:34 AM
To: Barr, Scott
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Clutch suggestions?

Hi Scott,

The pressure plate springs can lose tension over time.  The situation
with our '71 Morgan Plus 8 was similar to yours -- an unknown vintage
pressure plate with a fairly new friction plate, but I was getting
noticeable clutch slip in 3rd gear, even though the engine was worn and
wheezy at the time.

Duncan
(Texas)

On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Barr, Scott wrote:

> then, I've had a little clutch slip.  This is a pretty new clutch
> plate, but the pressure plate is of unknown age - has worked fine to
> date, but everything wears out eventually, right?
>
>
>
> Any thoughts on the cause?  Is it likely the increased torque/HP is
> just overpowering the clutch?  The new motor should be putting out
> something like 110-115HP, based on Mr. Barker's estimate.  Is that
> beyond what the stock clutch can handle?
>
>
>
> Options: (1) buy a new stock pressure plate and clutch disk and see
> how it goes; (2) upgrade to some sort of competition clutch; or (3)
> get used to that nasty clutch smell.  Other options I'm not
considering?

---

From: "Rocky Entriken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:29:31 -0500

For years I used a stock Spitfire clutch. After I began to upgrade the 
engine, the clutch seemed more stressed, including a couple of clutch disk 
failures -- shedding the facing material entirely and even twisting the 
center right out of the disk (which I did more than once). Obviously 
slipping was not the problem, but other forces were.

An easy fix turned out to be competition clutch disks that were solid in the 
center (not slotted, no springs). The only "problem" was learning to slip 
the clutch intentionally as it would grab immediately -- if revs weren't up 
it'd stall and kill the engine. Tricky driving it back on the trailer, for 
example, but eventually I learned how (or it would wear in enough to become 
easier).

--Rocky Entriken

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:06 AM
Subject: [Fot] Clutch suggestions?

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]

---

From: "Walter Hollowell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:56:16 -0600

I like having my clutch disc (including new ones) recovered with Kevlar.
Drag racers use this material and I find it hooks up fast and wears like
iron. I use it on my TR6 vintage racecar and I like it. It cost about $100
per application.
Walt Hollowell
Albuquerque, New Mexico

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Rocky Entriken
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:30 PM
To: Barr, Scott; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fot] Clutch suggestions?

--Rocky Entriken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barr, Scott" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:06 AM
Subject: [Fot] Clutch suggestions?

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/[email-masked]