Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Rx7 rear end issues ...edited

From: "Tim . via Datsun-roadsters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2025 22:43:43 +0000

--===============2831353295994872576==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BYAPR14MB2854A973CE07FE2ACE637272B414ABYAPR14MB2854namp_"

--_000_BYAPR14MB2854A973CE07FE2ACE637272B414ABYAPR14MB2854namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I believe I have the rear end from an 82-83 Rx7 with disc brakes and LSD.

I re-built my drive shaft and got rid of the noise I heard with no wheels o=
r brakes mounted (and the car running in gear). Third member bearings and a=
xle bearings spin nice and smooth. I've been told that the axle bearings we=
re replaced by the person who customized this rear end for the Roadster.

With the car on jack stands, I re-assembled the brakes, hung the wheels and=
 ran the car (still on jack stands). I immediately heard a rubbing noise co=
ming from the RR. The noise went away at higher RPMs but there was still so=
mething rubbing that caused the rotor to get so hot I could smell it.

Pulled the wheel back off. Brake pads have a little play as does the part o=
f the assembly that holds the piston. Nothing appears to be binding and not=
hing is sloppy loose.

Parking brake assembly is (basically hanging) loose and does not appear to =
be applying pressure to the pads.

WTF am I missing?

Thanks

--_000_BYAPR14MB2854A973CE07FE2ACE637272B414ABYAPR14MB2854namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg">
<div style=3D"direction: ltr;">&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
I believe I have the rear end from an 82-83 Rx7 with disc brakes and LSD.</=
div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
I re-built my drive shaft and got rid of the noise I heard with no wheels o=
r brakes mounted (and the car running in gear). Third member bearings and a=
xle bearings spin nice and smooth. I've been told that the axle bearings we=
re replaced by the person who customized
 this rear end for the Roadster.</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
With the car on jack stands, I re-assembled the brakes, hung the wheels and=
 ran the car (still on jack stands). I immediately heard a rubbing noise co=
ming from the RR. The noise went away at higher RPMs but there was still so=
mething rubbing that caused the
 rotor to get so hot I could smell it.</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Pulled the wheel back off. Brake pads have a little play as does the part o=
f the assembly that holds the piston. Nothing appears to be binding and not=
hing is sloppy loose.</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Parking brake assembly is (basically hanging) loose and does not appear to =
be applying pressure to the pads.</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
WTF am I missing?</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Thanks</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BYAPR14MB2854A973CE07FE2ACE637272B414ABYAPR14MB2854namp_--

--===============2831353295994872576==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/datsun-roadsters http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]

--===============2831353295994872576==--

---

From: futofab via Datsun-roadsters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2025 08:04:34 -0400

--===============9174199766748753221==

----_com.samsung.android.email_1786024431863440
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

bmtzCgoK

----_com.samsung.android.email_1786024431863440
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.samsung.android.email_1786024431863440--

--===============9174199766748753221==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============9174199766748753221==--