Subject: [Roadsters] 1965 Nissan Silvia driving impressions

From: Alvin Gogineni via Datsun-roadsters <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 00:13:59 -0700

--===============6837666637686180849==

--000000000000d7766e05db19d41b

Here are my thoughts on driving the 1965 Nissan Silvia now that I've got
over 300miles on it...
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DSC08361.jpg

The Silvia was so much fun to experience. I thank the owner, Rick, for
giving me the opportunity to take it on the rally. I was on edge about
driving such a rare car...but it slowly melted away as I got to know it.
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/3179014D-2EA6-4E32-B91B-2986F4CBA1C1-e1648261453144.jpg
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DSC05709-1.jpg
https://zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8813-2.jpeg

The RHD and isolated cockpit, gorgeous dash with familiar gauges and toggle
switches...they all add to very special driving experience. I don't have
any emprical data to support this, but I did have the feeling of more
rigidity in the Silvia. Or was it that I was more isolated than being
inside a roadster?
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8724.jpeg

I am only 5"10 or 5"11 on a good posture day. The footwell was super
cramped. For starters, I absolutely had to contort my legs and body to get
beneath the steering wheel. Not unlike a roadster running a stock steering
wheel, but the clearances here are exasperated since the foot rest and
clutch are on the transmission tunnel side. Anyways, after I de-wedge my
left foot from the foot rest/clutch pedal area...all is good. I could see
myself spending time eating up endless of miles with my wife next to
me...this is a proper GT cruiser. Whatever Nissan/Datsun designers had in
mind when they created the Silvia...it's a winner.
https://zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DSC06722-1.jpg
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8743.jpeg

Driving a RHD car...people frequently ask what it's like. Honestly if you
drive any manual transmission car, it's second nature. The only thing that
takes adjustment is minding your lane placement! Initially I find myself
tracking on the left side of the lane. That's it. It's just cool to
experience shifting through a familiar gearbox with your left hand!
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8770.jpeg
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8723.jpeg

Visibility is great in the Silvia. It is a tiny cockpit though. Pretty
large trunk, interestingly.
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8765.jpeg

I was stressed out about leading the rally group. I had to navigate using a
printed route with turn-by turn steps. No GPS available. And I had to keep
up a good pace. The Slivia was all about it. I put my foot down and it just
boogied. Several folks asked me how it was going this quickly :lol:
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Roll-89-26.jp

It's a Datsun Roadster, that is why!
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8987.jpeg
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Eiglk-e1648278048497.jpeg

Cruising nicely at about 70mph and traveling across the Golden Gate
Bridge...
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8823.jpeg
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8818.jpeg
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DSC07680.jpg

I want one...
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8961.jpeg

Breakfast Club Rally report:
https://www.zcarblog.com/2022/03/25/240z/events-tokyo-calling-with-breakfast-club-rally.html

Video of me driving the Silvia on the rally:

https://youtu.be/oPbLVJfIA3w

--000000000000d7766e05db19d41b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Here are my thoughts on driving the 1965 Nissan Silvia now=
 that I&#39;ve got over 300miles on it...<br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblo=
g.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DSC08361.jpg">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-=
content/uploads/2022/03/DSC08361.jpg</a><br><br>The Silvia was so much fun =
to experience. I thank the owner, Rick, for giving me the opportunity to ta=
ke it on the rally. I was on edge about driving such a rare car...but it sl=
owly melted away as I got to know it.<br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.co=
m/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/3179014D-2EA6-4E32-B91B-2986F4CBA1C1-e16482614=
53144.jpg">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/3179014D-2EA=
6-4E32-B91B-2986F4CBA1C1-e1648261453144.jpg</a><br><a href=3D"https://www.z=
carblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DSC05709-1.jpg">https://www.zcarblog=
.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DSC05709-1.jpg</a><br><a href=3D"https://zc=
arblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8813-2.jpeg">https://zcarblog.com=
/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8813-2.jpeg</a><br><br><br>The RHD and isol=
ated cockpit, gorgeous dash with familiar gauges and toggle switches...they=
 all add to very special driving experience. I don&#39;t have any emprical =
data to support this, but I did have the feeling of more rigidity in the Si=
lvia. Or was it that I was more isolated than being inside a roadster?<br><=
a href=3D"http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8724.jpeg"=
>http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8724.jpeg</a><br><b=
r>I am only 5&quot;10 or 5&quot;11 on a good posture day. The footwell was =
super cramped. For starters, I absolutely had to contort my legs and body t=
o get beneath the steering wheel. Not unlike a roadster running a stock ste=
ering wheel, but the clearances here are exasperated since the foot rest an=
d clutch are on the transmission tunnel side. Anyways, after I de-wedge my =
left foot from the foot rest/clutch pedal area...all is good. I could see m=
yself spending time eating up endless of miles with my wife next to me...th=
is is a proper GT cruiser. Whatever Nissan/Datsun designers had in mind whe=
n they created the Silvia...it&#39;s a winner. <br><a href=3D"https://zcarb=
log.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DSC06722-1.jpg">https://zcarblog.com/wp-=
content/uploads/2022/03/DSC06722-1.jpg</a><br><a href=3D"http://www.zcarblo=
g.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8743.jpeg">http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-=
content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8743.jpeg</a><br><br>Driving a RHD car...people=
 frequently ask what it&#39;s like. Honestly if you drive any manual transm=
ission car, it&#39;s second nature. The only thing that takes adjustment is=
 minding your lane placement! Initially I find myself tracking on the left =
side of the lane. That&#39;s it. It&#39;s just cool to experience shifting =
through a familiar gearbox with your left hand!<br><a href=3D"http://www.zc=
arblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8770.jpeg">http://www.zcarblog.co=
m/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8770.jpeg</a><br><a href=3D"http://www.zca=
rblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8723.jpeg">http://www.zcarblog.com=
/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8723.jpeg</a><br><br><br>Visibility is grea=
t in the Silvia. It is a tiny cockpit though. Pretty large trunk, interesti=
ngly.<br><a href=3D"http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_=
8765.jpeg">http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8765.jpeg=
</a><br><br>I was stressed out about leading the rally group. I had to navi=
gate using a printed route with turn-by turn steps. No GPS available. And I=
 had to keep up a good pace. The Slivia was all about it. I put my foot dow=
n and it just boogied. Several folks asked me how it was going this quickly=
 :lol: <br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/R=
oll-89-26.jp">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Roll-89-2=
6.jp</a><br><br>It&#39;s a Datsun Roadster, that is why! <br><a href=3D"htt=
ps://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8987.jpeg">https://www=
.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8987.jpeg</a><br><a href=3D"ht=
tp://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Eiglk-e1648278048497.jpeg"=
>http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Eiglk-e1648278048497.jp=
eg</a><br><br>Cruising nicely at about 70mph and traveling across the Golde=
n Gate Bridge...<br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/=
2022/03/IMG_8823.jpeg">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/=
IMG_8823.jpeg</a><br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads=
/2022/03/IMG_8818.jpeg">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03=
/IMG_8818.jpeg</a><br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/upload=
s/2022/03/DSC07680.jpg">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03=
/DSC07680.jpg</a><br><br>I want one...<br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.c=
om/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8961.jpeg">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-co=
ntent/uploads/2022/03/IMG_8961.jpeg</a><br><br>Breakfast Club Rally report:=
<br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/2022/03/25/240z/events-tokyo-callin=
g-with-breakfast-club-rally.html">https://www.zcarblog.com/2022/03/25/240z/=
events-tokyo-calling-with-breakfast-club-rally.html</a><br><br>Video of me =
driving the Silvia on the rally:<br><br><a href=3D"https://youtu.be/oPbLVJf=
IA3w">https://youtu.be/oPbLVJfIA3w</a><br></div>

--000000000000d7766e05db19d41b--

--===============6837666637686180849==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/datsun-roadsters http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]

--===============6837666637686180849==--