Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Right rear brake cylinder leak

From: "Graeme S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 10:29:12 +0930

Don't know about the thread size but for the price and peace of mind I 
would advise a new slave, both sides.

Regards,
Graeme S.

nissanman.shutterfly.com

On 8/07/2014 06:27, D Riedel wrote:
> Looks like my right rear cylinder is leaking.  A quick confirmation,
> please:  are the nuts on the brake lines for a '69 2000 10mm?
>
> Also, what are my options here and which is(are) preferred?  New cylinder?
> Rebuild kit?  Alternative cylinder?
>
> Thanks everyone...
________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]

---

From: Gary and Cindy Ault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 17:52:56 -0700

Dave,

Although Graeme's advice is always well thought-out, and you can't go
wrong with new cylinders, if you have the additional time, I'd take the
leaking cylinder apart, and check the bore.  If it is smooth (not pitted) and
the piston is not corroded, I'd use a repair kit, and I have done so
successfully.

As to the size of the nuts, do yourself a favor and buy a set
of metric flare nut wrenches:  9 x 11 and 10 x 12, or the equivalent.  They
grip the nuts on nearly all sides, don't slip, and one of those sizes will fit
the nuts.  My guess is 10mm.  (I have both metric and SAE flare nut wrenches
in my box.)

Gary

________________________________
 From: D Riedel
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Monday, July 7,
2014 3:57 PM
Subject: [Roadsters] Right rear brake cylinder leak

Looks like
my right rear cylinder is leaking.  A quick confirmation,
please:  are the
nuts on the brake lines for a '69 2000 10mm?

Also, what are my options here
and which is(are) preferred?  New cylinder?
Rebuild kit?  Alternative
cylinder?

Thanks everyone...

-- 
Dave Riedel
'69 2000
Victoria, BC

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]
________________________________________

---

From: Stan Chernoff <[email-masked]> >
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 18:33:24 -0700

Dave,

The hex dimension on the tube fitting for the rear brake cylinder is 
7/16" .  While 11mm is close to 7/16" you would waste your money if 
you purchased metric tubing wrenches to work on a Datsun roadster 
since all of the brake tubing fittings are SAE.

Stan
////////////

---

From: D Riedel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:18:26 -0700

Thanks fellas, good advice.  I'll grab a cylinder from Ross once I confirm
that's the problem, see below.

That's interesting about the metric/SAE wrench issue.  I thought they were
SAE - I have a 3/8 + 7/16 combo line wrench which I bought to work on the
Roadster... I've used it on the clutch slave, certainly.  Somehow, it
really didn't seem to fit, so I grabbed a 10mm/11mm.

11mm = 0.4331"
7/16 =    0.4375"

Not sure how I'd fail to get the slightly larger 7/16" on there... maybe
it's because I was lying upside down on the driveway with my head under a
car at 8:30 at night?

Meanwhile, having popped the drum off, everything inside looks good.  Shoes
are ~new, which is nice, and there's no brake fluid in there.  The cylinder
doesn't really seem to be losing fluid - not from that side, anyway.  I've
flushed and bled that corner and topped-up the M/C and haven't lost any
fluid since.  Mysterious?

-dave

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Stan Chernoff <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> The hex dimension on the tube fitting for the rear brake cylinder is 7/16"
> .  While 11mm is close to 7/16" you would waste your money if you purchased
> metric tubing wrenches to work on a Datsun roadster since all of the brake
> tubing fittings are SAE.
>
> Stan
> ////////////
>
>

---

From: Gary and Cindy Ault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:24:18 -0700

Dave,

I keep a reasonably complete set of both metric and SAE wrenches in my
box.  I have encountered a number of situations working on roadsters, almost
exclusively low-windshield cars, where the wrench which is supposed to fit
won't, but it's metric companion or vice-versa, will.  Also, had to carefully
file down the flats on a couple of brake line fittings, and use metric when
the SAE fittings were corroded.  Never regretted having spent the money on
both.

Gary

________________________________
 From: D Riedel
<[email-masked]>
To: Stan Chernoff <[email-masked]> 
Cc: Gary and Cindy
Ault <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Right rear brake cylinder leak

Thanks fellas,
good advice.  I'll grab a cylinder from Ross once I confirm that's the
problem, see below.

That's interesting about the metric/SAE wrench issue.  I
thought they were SAE - I have a 3/8 + 7/16 combo line wrench which I bought
to work on the Roadster... I've used it on the clutch slave, certainly.
 Somehow, it really didn't seem to fit, so I grabbed a 10mm/11mm.

11mm =
0.4331"
7/16 =    0.4375"

Not sure how I'd fail to get the slightly larger
7/16" on there... maybe it's because I was lying upside down on the driveway
with my head under a car at 8:30 at night?

Meanwhile, having popped the drum
off, everything inside looks good.  Shoes are ~new, which is nice, and there's
no brake fluid in there.  The cylinder doesn't really seem to be losing fluid
- not from that side, anyway.  I've flushed and bled that corner and topped-up
the M/C and haven't lost any fluid since.  Mysterious?

-dave

On Tue, Jul
8, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Stan Chernoff <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dave,
>The hex
dimension on the tube fitting for the rear brake cylinder is 7/16" .  While
11mm is close to 7/16" you would waste your money if you purchased metric
tubing wrenches to work on a Datsun roadster since all of the brake tubing
fittings are SAE.
>>grip the nuts on nearly all sides,
don't slip, and one of those sizes will fit
>>the nuts.  My guess is 10mm.  (I
have both metric and SAE flare nut wrenches
>>my
right rear cylinder is leaking.  A quick confirmation,