Subject: [Roadsters] dropping the front end a few inches

From: "O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 12:21:57 +0000

Lots have dropped the front end, but I don't know if anyone has gone the way
of spring compressors.
They are made to compress a spring, but using them "in flight" means loading
the bolts dynamically, meaning each substantial bump is going unload/load
those threads, and unless they are acme threads (very expensive to make) they
are not built for that.
You can cut a coil, the trick is getting both sides level, and reacting the
same. (better cut it cold, no torches)

The wheels sound cool, but I think you'll be subtracting rubber to get Zero
offset to fit without rubbing.  There is a lot of discussion of wheel fitment
and what folks have tried on 311s.org.

Fergus O
________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 09:02:12 -0400 (EDT)

Spring compressors are made to compress the spring for removal. I would not 
 use one to shorten the spring while the car is being driven. Comp springs 
are  about the best answer. Cutting would be my second choice. Cutting 
shortens the  spring and increases the spring rate. 
 
keith

In a message dated 6/12/2014 5:37:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Lots  have dropped the front end, but I don't know if anyone has gone the 
way
of  spring compressors.
They are made to compress a spring, but using them "in  flight" means 
loading
the bolts dynamically, meaning each substantial bump  is going unload/load
those threads, and unless they are acme threads (very  expensive to make) 
they
are not built for that.
You can cut a coil, the  trick is getting both sides level, and reacting the
same. (better cut it  cold, no torches)

The wheels sound cool, but I think you'll be  subtracting rubber to get Zero
offset to fit without rubbing.  There  is a lot of discussion of wheel 
fitment
and what folks have tried on  311s.org.

Fergus  O

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]
________________________________________