Subject: [Roadsters] Long distance towing

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 11:21:46 -0500

We're planning on going to some of the various events after I retire in a
few months, and I'm wondering primarily about security if we use a flatbed
instead of a box trailer? Obviously a flatbed will be cheaper,
but...? Either coast is going to be at least 4 days or so from central
Texas. I'd appreciate the thoughts and experiences of those in the groups.

Ron
________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 22:11:21 -0500

I've never had any issues with a flatbed.  it also has a locked box on it 
and a winch.  I'm always careful where I park but . . .

if you are getting a trailer, here's my 2c.

my trailer has a 8000 lb winch (totally overkill but I didn't put it in).

I had a hook welded into the frame under the engine.  I clip on the winch 
and pull it up.  there are two chains in the front of the trailer with hooks 
which I attach to hooks on the frame.  let off the winch just a bit then 
cross tie two hooks in the back (again - had hooks welded into the frame, 
which I cross tie to hooks on the trailer).  unloading is simple - chock a 
wheel in both directions, do the ramp thing, undo the rear straps, let it 
forward a few inches to remove the front chains, then using the remote on 
the winch just push it off.

I can load or unload in under 20 min.

what I hate - trailer has two long steel ramps which I have to pull off the 
trailer and position.  they are heavy.  I will likely replace them with 
aluminum.  better would be ramps that are attached to the trailer that I 
could just move into position then back into their "home" position.
________________________________________