Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Brake lights and Right directional

From: "Gordon Glasgow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:08:08 -0700

I did the same thing years ago - failed to hook up the big ground to the
frame. It wound up frying the voltage regulator (twice) before I figured it
out. It also melted the housing on the throttle cable because it tried to
ground through that, too.

Gordon Glasgow

-----Original Message-----
From: Datsun-roadsters [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Gene at Scotia Lockup
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Roadsters] Brake lights and Right directional

Thanks for all the suggestions,

I think I needed to be more specific so here goes: 

My car is an early 1969 2000 (SRL311-07183), with a single row of fuses. 

All the lights were working properly before I removed the engine and
transmission.

After I reinstalled the motor and trans I didn't tighten the ground from the
frame to the starter and found that caused the hard starting problem, it was
acting as if the battery was almost dead. It acts as if something shorted
out but there are no blown fuses and if the ground was bad it couldn't have
shorted. I do need to add the reverse lights are not working as well so I
will be testing that switch as well.

I hope this additional info helps.

Thanks again

Gene
________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]
________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Bauman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:24:11 -0700

I'm with Gordon on this one. Ground the daylights out of the car. I have 
ground straps going from the battery to the engine block, and from the 
battery to the starter. I have had accelerator cables spot welded 
internally by having the starter use it for a return to ground. 
Roadsters can't be too cool, too fast or too grounded.

Paul Bauman
67 1600
Westminster, CA

---

From: Stan Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 20:54:23 -0700

Doesn't the old saying go something like this:  "Most carburetor 
problems are electrical and most electrical problems are ground"?

Stan in Flagstaff

On 6/28/2014 7:24 PM, Paul Bauman wrote:
> I'm with Gordon on this one. Ground the daylights out of the car. I 
> have ground straps going from the battery to the engine block, and 
> from the battery to the starter. I have had accelerator cables spot 
> welded internally by having the starter use it for a return to ground. 
>> From: Datsun-roadsters 
>> [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]

---

From: "Bob Dicke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 23:37:45 -0500

And most suspension problems are tires

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Datsun-roadsters [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Stan Wilkins
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2014 10:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Brake lights and Right directional

Doesn't the old saying go something like this:  "Most carburetor problems
are electrical and most electrical problems are ground"?

Stan in Flagstaff

On 6/28/2014 7:24 PM, Paul Bauman wrote:
>> I did the same thing years ago - failed to hook up the big ground to 
>> the frame. It wound up frying the voltage regulator (twice) before I 
>> figured it out. It also melted the housing on the throttle cable 
>> because it tried to ground through that, too.
>>
>> Gordon Glasgow
>>
>> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gene at 
>> Scotia Lockup
>> After I reinstalled the motor and trans I didn't tighten the ground 
>> from the frame to the starter and found that caused the hard starting 
>> problem, it was acting as if the battery was almost dead. It acts as 
>> if something shorted out but there are no blown fuses and if the 
>> ground was bad it couldn't have shorted. I do need to add the reverse 
>> lights are not working as well so I will be testing that switch as 
>> well.
>>

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]
________________________________________

---

From: "Pete Peters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 09:51:08 -0700

Here's the "big ground to frame" that folks refer to:

http://www.shiftco.com/features/zippy/images/ground.jpg

I used a 14-inch braided strap from Summit Racing when I discovered that
strap missing on my '66:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-148014

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Datsun-roadsters [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Paul Bauman
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2014 7:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Brake lights and Right directional

I'm with Gordon on this one. Ground the daylights out of the car. I have
ground straps going from the battery to the engine block, and from the
battery to the starter. I have had accelerator cables spot welded internally
by having the starter use it for a return to ground. 
Roadsters can't be too cool, too fast or too grounded.

Paul Bauman
67 1600
Westminster, CA

On 06/28/2014 04:08 PM, Gordon Glasgow wrote:
> lights are not working as well so I will be testing that switch as well.
>

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]
t
________________________________________

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 12:00:43 -0500

for the perfect custom cable, the parts are at most flaps and you can just 
make one.

when I did my car, I like many of you, went overboard with grounding straps.