Subject: [Roadsters] Roadster Air Conditioning

From: "Kevin B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 17:40:42 -0700

Anyone know how to put air conditioning in a Datsun 2000?   

Kevin
Upland, CA
________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]

---

From: John F Sandhoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 10:04:56 -0700

> Anyone know how to put air conditioning in a Datsun 2000?

The "best" way is to have Michael Spreadbury drop an SR20 with a
compressor already mounted up under the hood... :-)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Some thoughts:

About 30 years ago the brother of a friend added A/C to his Roadster.
I don't know what he did under the hood, but as I recall he had a custom
exaporator box that sat on the package tray behind the seats (He added
A/C to his Opel 1900 GT, too).

I've seen at least one Roadster at Shasta with dash-mounted vents
(as I recall, actually separate vents mounted with triangular brackets
just under the dash, in the corners between dash and door). No idea
how or where they squeezed in an evaporator box. It was a nice setup!

> ...I have an extra groove on my water pump pulley

Using only that may not be the best drive point. If the compressor adds
much load and the crank-to-fan belt is at all loose, then the crank belt
may slip, which means the water pump stops spinning. However, if this
was a smog car the crank (balancer) should also have a second groove
so running a belt to catch all three (crank, fan, compressor) is the
way to go.

The only other concern is the stock alternator trying to run the
evaporator blower. But you're probably OK there since it's good
enough to run a blower motor already (the heater).

When you dive it, document what parts you use and take lots of
measurements and pictures for the rest of us!

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   [email-masked]   Sacramento, CA
________________________________________

---

From: Krismon Ongbongan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 15:04:17 -0700

First of many hot weeks in Las Vegas this week, and you guys all got me
thinking AC.. I just spent an hour online looking at different kits and
such. Then I realized I don't even have a working top for my car yet.
Priorities! That said, looks like nostalgic air makes kits for MGB and TR6,
I wonder if there is enough Datsun demand for them to make a kit for our
cars (and what the premium would be)?

Kris.

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 10:04 AM, John F Sandhoff <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/[email-masked]