Subject: Running like a hit and miss

From: Roger Garnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 23:14:40 -0400

Short Background:
Car 1903 CDO 15713, restored in 50's, George Green mechanical work, AACA &
London to Brighton in 50's -60's and beyond.  Mostly original components -
Carb is an '03 side valve unit, splitdorf coil,  etc.

When I acquired it last year it had been unused for several years, so I
proceeded to clean & grease, replaced all the wiring, etc. and got it
running. Fuel tank had varnish on the bottom 2", removed, cleaned some with
acetone & ball bearings.

First run - video here - not bad really.
http://1drv.ms/1IWWy0W

and here's the first drive around the yard
http://1drv.ms/1IWWFJO

Did a few short drives OK, and then a longer one to a gathering at a
friends and it started running like junk. First thought ignition, but in
the end bits of varnish had loosened from the ethanol fuel and was plugging
things up Cleaned the carb again, added a filter, and it was running decent
last fall and this spring.

I just re-did coolant hoses & seals, removed valve cover, cleaned valve
chambers and reseated the valve cover. Nothing drastic changed.  It started
up ok-ish, but is running like junk again. It's about like a hit-and-miss
engine - doesn't fire every time. Seems to be idling ok, but it misses a
lot when I open the throttle, and has a lot less power than it should. fuel
flow is great.

Thoughts?

-- 
Roger Garnett
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Curved-dash-olds mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/curved-dash-olds