Subject: Re: [British-cars] Need two 6volt batteries to fit '65 MGB

From: "Ron King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 22:48:21 -0700

Just to keep this thread going, wanted to swap in a single 12 volt for the
two 6 volts.  Miata battery looks like a close fit, but more important
question is found an even smaller 12 volt, but it only has 375 cranking
amps. However, having read some info indicating 275A works, seems 375A
should be enough.  Need to add, using the Moss plastic battery inserts for
both trays.  Comments?

P.S. Currently live in a climate where it hardly ever gets freezing.

Ron King
'71 MGB Roadster
San Jose, Ca.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Barney Gaylord
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:22 PM
To: Bob Loewenstein; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [British-cars] Need two 6volt batteries to fit '65 MGB

The battery size youi want is 17HF.
Perhaps the most obvious is Interstate Battery
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Search.aspx/?dsNavigation=Ntk~S
earchGroup|17hf%20battery|3|

Enter zip code to find dealers near you

If you have time to browse, do a web seach for "17HF battery".

If you want a tar-top that says "LUCAS" on the side, see here:
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/batteries/british/17HF.html

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

At 02:52 PM 3/14/2012 -0500, Bob Loewenstein wrote:
>So far, I've been unable to find 6 volt batteries that will fit. Does
anyone
>know where to get batteries that fit?? I've tried Tractor Supply stores,
which
>didn't fi (slightly too large.
>
>Hoping some of you out there know where to get batteries that fit. The
>Roadster Factor doesn't have batteries. Their site shows the batteries, but
I
>called and got the response that the batteries came from England and are no
>longe available.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/british-cars/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/british-cars/[email-masked]

---

From: Roger Garnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 22:39:18 -0400

Been using single group 26 batteries in MGB's for years. A Sears diehard,
for example is 525 CCA...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Roger Garnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: [British-cars] Need two 6volt batteries to fit '65 MGB
To: Bob Loewenstein <[email-masked]>

If you really want 6 volters? - (stickler for originality?)  It's really
easy to switch to a single 12V instead, for 1/2 the price of 2x6 Volt

A 12V group 26 battery works nicely. Takes about 10 minutes, and no rocket
science to change.

1) Pull the cover & 6V batteries, noting first which battery terminal (+ or
-) is connected to where.
2) in the box with the Hot wire is (long wire going to the front of the
car), remove the wire that goes to the 2nd battery.
3) Move the ground wire from the other box, and bolt it to bare metal of
the frame in the box where the Hot wire is located. (or install a new
ground wire.)
4) Then install the battery in that box, connecting the proper Pos & Neg
wires to the correct battery terminals.
Done.

Notes:

This car is originally Positive ground, unless it's been converted to
Negative ground. That means - Neg goes to hot, and + Pos to ground (body).

You may need to adjust the hold-down clamp angle iron a bit to fit, but
don't go without - you don't want the battery & connectons bumping against
the battery cover going over a bump. [ZAP!]

And don't stretch the ground wire across the drive shaft to reach from one
side to the other, as it will rub against and wear through.

Roger

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Bob Loewenstein <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Roadster Factor doesn't have batteries. Their site shows the batteries,
> but I
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/british-cars/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Roger Garnett
[email-masked]

-- 
Roger Garnett
[email-masked]