wpta

Re: [WPTA] SU Carbs

To: "Mark J Bradakis" <mark@bradakis.com>, <wpta@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [WPTA] SU Carbs
From: Jerry Van Vlack via Wpta <wpta@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 13:47:53 -0400
That's a great story.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark J Bradakis via Wpta
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 11:24 AM
To: wpta@autox.team.net

On 5/21/20 8:42 AM, Nick Gaten via Wpta wrote:
> I have SUâ??s on my â??59 Morgan, never had a problem but am trying a Weber
> 40
> DCOE on a Midget I am restoring.

My usual quip regarding Webers is that their main advantage is they are
infinitely adjustable.  Their main disadvantage is that they are
infinitely adjustable.

Back when my computer sys admin career ended, 2005, I was making my beer
money working for a friend of mine at his repair shop.  He actually did
all sorts of cars, but his main love was British stuff.  His father had
this pristine MG TC.  Anyway, he knew SUs pretty well, was a die hard MG
guy.  Being a Triumph guy I knew Strombergs, and from autocrossing and
performance improvements Webers pretty well.  Between the 2 of us we had
like 4,732 years of experience with the things.  I don't recall we ever
had a car come in with carb problems we couldn't fix.  Sometimes it took
a while, often just to ascertain for certain that the carb was the
problem, not the ignition.  That alone is a major part of the battle.

One of my favorite moments was this fellow had a really nice Jaguar E
type coupe sporting 3 SUs.  He had some driveability issues, and I spent
some time fussing with it.  He came in to pick up the car, but I wasn't
quite done.  I was doing the final tweaking and balancing, he watched me
for a while.  I did the final balancing as he watched, adjusting each
carb by ear, just listening to the engine idle.  No hose in the carb
throat for me. I tightened up the linkage, satisfied with my work.  I
told him I better check to see how close they are.  I grabbed an airflow
meter, one a little fancier than the usual flat plate with the vertical
tube and the red plastic bobber.  This one had a numbered scale.  He
watched as I put the tester to each carb, and each carb gave the exact
same reading.  He was REALLY impressed!  I was just really glad I got
that lucky!

mjb.

wpta@autox.team.net

wpta@autox.team.net