vtr

President's article for TVT #69; note book offer!

To: Vintage Triumph Register general list <vtr@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: President's article for TVT #69; note book offer!
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:50:36 -0400 ()
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Below is my President's Column for TVT #69, which should arrive in
mailboxes somewhere around the time of the National Convention. For those
of you who may have heard about John Macartney's forthcoming book
featuring both stories about his experiences with Triumph as well as
details of his father's career with Standard and Standard-Triumph, take
particular note that VTR is coordinating ordering of the book.

--Andy

=============

     As I sit down to write this, I realize it is just over one
month until the VTR National Convention in Hudson, WI! Spring seems
to have snuck up on me much too quickly here in upstate New York!
Unfortunately, the season finds me well behind on planned car
projects! The car that I plan to bring to Hudson is still in the
same spot in the barn where it was placed two years ago. Hopefully,
as you read this, the car and I will be in Hudson celebrating the
30th anniversary of the TR250/5 and especially the 75th anniversary
of the Triumph marque.

Happy Birthday!

     Before I forget, I'd like to wish a belated happy birthday to
"Joseph" (a.k.a. G38017L), born on 4 April 1960 in Coventry,
England. Yes, I finally sprung for a BMIHT "Production Record Trace
Certificate" for my 948 Herald saloon (see "We've Had Triumph Fun
All Summer Long," _TVT_ #65), which confirmed a number of things
I'd wondered about on the car. For what it's worth, all numbers
match, including the engine number. The build record confirms that
the car was originally painted in the "duo-tone" combination of
Pale Yellow and Sebring White. It confirms as well that the car was
indeed built two years prior to the year of registration in New
York State on all the paperwork. (The New York registration
certificates call the car a 162.)
     But I don't know that the mysteries are yet solved. Joseph was
in fact built largely to "LHD, North American Export" specification
but also as a "Personal Export Delivery" car for a _Mrs. A.L.
MacKenzie, USA_. It was registered in Coventry with number plate
5463 DU under the "Home Delivery Export Scheme." This might explain
why it was built to North American specification (white rubber
bumpers, fuse box, temperature gauge and other items not fitted to
home market cars as standard). But this doesn't explain how a 1960
model year car ended up being titled as a 1962 in New York State.
And it might or might _not_ explain why, ten years later, when the
car first came into my possession, the original exterior lighting
was still to home market specification: red/amber taillamp lenses,
different front side lamps, and _RHD_ Lucas bulb-and-reflector
headlamps. It all makes the car rather unique, at least to me, and
will someday drive Concours judges stark raving bonkers as they try
to unravel the mix of specification!
     Incidentally, Joseph is still a good ways away from being
roadworthy, but he did start instantly this spring after sitting
through the winter. Tough little car!

Family Affair (continued)

     I talked a bit about father-son relationships with Triumphs a
couple of issues back. Continuing on that theme, I'd like to
mention one John Macartney. Those of you with e-mail and World Wide
Web access may have seen some of his postings to the Triumphs e-
mail list or checked out his Web site. Others may have read some of
his stories of "Life at Triumph" that have been reprinted in
several Chapter newsletters.
     John had quite a career with Triumph and lately has come
almost full-circle with a new position at the British Motor
Industry Heritage Trust in Gaydon. Recently he has also taken on
some editorial responsibilities with _Triumph Over Triumph_
magazine and has assumed the editorship of _Six Appeal_, the
magazine of the Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Register. John's father,
Charles, also had a long and distinguished career with the Standard
Motor Company.
     John is about to go to press with a private printing of _In
the Shadow of My Father_, a privately published recounting of his
father's career and a revised and expanded collection of his "Life
at Triumph" stories as well. This book will be offered primarily
through John's World Wide Web site and through Triumph Clubs around
the world, _only_ to October 1998.
     Further information on the book appears elsewhere in this
magazine. VTR members are welcome to order the book directly from
John. However, John has appointed VTR as an official "agent" for
ordering. While the cost is the same regardless, ordering through
VTR will earn us commission on each book. These commissions will be
used for further book and regalia projects for VTR.
     To order a book through VTR, please make your check or money
order (U.S. funds) payable to _Vintage Triumph Register_ and put
the words "Macartney book" on the memo line. Mail your check --
along with your name and mailing address, fax and/or e-mail if you
have it, and whether or not you would like the book autographed --
to Macartney Book, c/o The Vintage Triumph Register, 15218 W.
Warren Ave., Dearborn, MI 48126. [b]Orders must be received by
September 30, 1998.[/b] Books will be mailed directly to you from
the publisher, and they should arrive in time for the "holidays"!

[More information about John's book is available at
<http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook/>.]

A "Triumph"ant Garden

     Last fall, while shopping at a local Wal-mart, I was
immediately attracted to a display of "Triumph" tulip bulbs (yes,
it said "Triumph" right on the package). Of course, being the
obsessive Triumph fanatic that I am, I bought not one but two boxes
of 12 bulbs each. I'm happy to say that all 24 tulips bloomed
beautifully earlier this spring. Perhaps next year I could continue
the Triumph theme in the garden, with perhaps some Primrose,
Wisteria, Geranium, Saffron...maybe even Russet (potato) and
Coffee? Perhaps not....

--Andy