vtr

Re: [Fwd: Triumph Sparten] (fwd)

To: manage@iinet.net.au, Vintage Triumph Register general list <vtr@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Triumph Sparten] (fwd)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:19:18 +0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:01:05 +0800
> From: Gerard Callaghan <manage@iinet.net.au>
> To: vtr-www@vtr.sanders.com
> Subject: Triumph Sparten
>
> Hi,
> I would appreciate if you could pass on any information you may have on
> a model of tourer described on its badging as a Triumph Sparten.
> The particular model I see flashing past me from time to time is british
> racing green in colour and is not unlike the MGTC in shape, but a bigger
> and wider body.It does not appear to be either the 1948 1800 tourer or
> 2000 tourer which both have a much rounder body than this has. This is
> more sharp edged (mayflowerish). The rear spare wheel is encased in a
> squared box shape with what appears to be strapping (real or
> artificial). Have you any info on this vehicle ( circa design 1945-50
> say). It never slows down quite long enough for me to distract the
> driver.
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> Gerry Callaghan

Gerry, it took some time to register in my mind, but I think this might be
a "kit car" based on Triumph Herald or Spitfire running gear. Any number
of such kits have been offered through the years, considering how
relatively easy it is to adapt such bodies to the Triumph "small-car"
chassis.

At the moment, that is all the information I can offer on the Spartan or
Sparten (sp?). Perhaps others on this list have more information.

--Andy