vtr

Spitfire Help Please!

To: VTR@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Help Please!
From: Kirk Petersen <kpete@ez2.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 22:41:49 +0000
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Greetings All-

I'm in a rather desperate situation and would greatly appreciate some
advice.
I own a 1979 Spitfire (California version) that is due for the dreaded
California Smog test by June 18.
I read an article in the Moss newsletter a few months ago about tricks
to help a Brit pass. So, per that list I:
-changed oil (20/50) and filter
-changed the plugs, gapped to .032" instead of .025"
-loosened the valves .005" from standard
-retarded the ignition 3 degrees
-used a low-restriction air filter

I also, with the help of my neighbor, rebuilt the carb(singleStromberg
150 CD? It NEVER matches any of the schematics exactly). I know it's
single, I know it's Stromberg and it's marked CD. It has an automatic
choke(water).

My dilemma is how to adjust the idle and mixture. I have the Haynes
manual ( I ought to get the Bentley version) and a Color-Tune kit minus
the instructions.

One more spanner in the works. You know the coarse idle control (the one
that's supposed to be preset at the factory and never touched). Well
it's been broken as long as I've had the car. The bottom half is stuck
where it threads. I'm leaving it as is for now.

So, I've got the fine idle screw, the throttle speed screw, the fast
idle screw(?) next to it,  the decel valve, and the choke. My problem is
that I can't seem to get the idle speed below 1600 rpm and it seems to
be running rich (by smell).

If anyone can give me a run through on carb adjustment (what gets
adjusted first, second, etc.)
to get it to pass smog and to get the idle rpm down.

Thanks to All and Happy Father's Day to the Dads,

Kirk
1979 Spit Owner