vtr

Synthetic Oil

To: vtr@autox.team.net
Subject: Synthetic Oil
From: bill <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:43:13 -0800
Sender: owner-vtr
Bill Sohl,

The cost of the lab analysis is around $8; about the cost of a good
filter or two.  I agree with you about the 1 time per year as a general
rule of thumb to use on our cars.  However since I've been following this
routine it's hard for me to break the habit.  One extremely nice side
benefit of this is you KNOW the condition of your engine and what is
wearing on the inside.  The PPM (parts per million) count is given for 18
categories with percentage of contaminates in four others.  I
don't espouse that everybody do this--it is what I am comfortable with.
BTW my TR6 with 94K is very healthy according to all the numbers. I just
don't understand why people always talk about our cars as being junk and
unreliable.

On a totally different note, I have been following the thread concerning
Alfin drums.  I drive a 78 Datsun 280Z as my daily transportation.  A
great source for these parts is Motorsport Auto in Orange, CA.  They are
THE source for Z parts; much like we would consider TRF, Moss or Victoria
British.  The part # for the drum is 24-5050, price is $79.95 from the
parts list I have.  Their number is 800 633-6331.  I've bought lots of
stuff from them for lots of $$$ and am totally satisified.

I think the best way to conclude this discussion on oil and drain
intervals is to say that your car will love you if you give it the
maintenance it deserves and will supply you with many trouble free hours
of pleasure for your efforts.

Bill Wood
Greensboro, N.C.