[Vintage-race] PVGP/VRG BeaveRun

To: <VRG_NewsGroup@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Vintage-race] PVGP/VRG BeaveRun
From: "Ralph Steinberg" <ralph@cloverleaf-auto.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 20:13:00 -0400
Entries and groups have been posted on the PVGP website. I think you will
find that all of the groups should offer good racing for everyone. All of
the groups are fairly well subscribed (we can still take on a few more so
get your entry in) And everyone should find someone to pair up with and race
in their group. This particular track, as many of you know, is laid out in
such a way that while some sections are great for big horsepower cars other
sections negate the advantage and the ball is in the nimble car's court.
With full fields driver skill comes into play in trying to work your way
around a knot of racers battling for their own piece of turf and as I am
sure we all remember, this is Vintage Racing, where each and every car has
just as much right for its section of track as the next and it is up to you
to figure out how to get around two cars dicing it out, not for them to lose
their position just to let you go by. If you are as good as you would like
to think you are and not just relying on pure grunt to get you around, you
will figure it out. Might even learn a faster way around the track chewing
on the backend of that pesky little car that you know you should be able to
take, would too if the sun had been in the proper alignment with the moon.

In all seriousness though we are out to have a good time and show off our
cars to an appreciative crowd. We are attempting to recreate a specific era
in racing here at this race. That era was early Watkins Glen, Elkhart Lake,
Bridge Hampton, with a little bit of Brands Hatch and LeMans tossed in,
perhaps a touch of early Sebring (though I doubt if any of us will have
young ladies offer to crew for us as Steve McQueen did) but what I mean is
for the most part our main race groups are a mix of cars, some quicker than
others, some bigger than others, some stop well, others accelerate well and
some actually do both and turn! This was an era before we began to tightly
regulate our groups and before you looked out and just saw nothing but
Miata's on the grid or Barber Saabs. An era when Jimmy Clark shows up with a
Colin Chapman car with the engine in the wrong place and a new era of racing
was born. Couldn't happen today but it could then and it is that era and
mystique we are trying to recreate (even if some of cars were not on the
drawing board yet!) And yeah I know looking back to a time in the past
always seems to make it look better than it was. So that is why you must
have real roll bars and modern helmets and 5 point or more harnesses, along
with fuel cells and cut offs..

For those who have already entered we thank you, for those still thinking on
it please get your entry in now. I am not quite maxed out but close.

Thanks and see you there

Ralph Steinberg

PVGP director of competition BeaveRun
Vintage-race@autox.team.net