Re: [Vintage-race] Change from Generator to 1-wire Alternator

To: twobees@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] Change from Generator to 1-wire Alternator
From: John.Desantis@Inficon.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:49:04 -0400
I am not an expert - but when I installed my 1 wire alt, I removed all the
old alt. wiring and regulator wiring.

I then ran the "1 wire"  from the alt. to the positive side of the
battery.  At some point I removed all the unused wiring from the harness.

The only issue to consider is if and want to use as a indicator that the
charging system is working.  A few years ago I saw a strange
looking gauge on an Alfa, the owner mentioned that it was a volt meter and
it was real tough and cheep.

I found one for $10 and it works really well, installation is a snap, it
has a magnet and sticks to your dash.  I added a tie wrap for insurance.
Hook one wire to switched power and one to ground.

The device is a series of LED lights in a row, when they all light up you
have 14 volts and everything is good. Less lights is less voltage,
and your not charging.

One last point about the one wire, the one I used does not charge at idle
until the RPM's get high enough to excite the fields in the alt.
This partly because I have an over sized pulley to keep the revs on the
alt down.  After I start the engine and warm it a bit, I blip the throttle
and I get full voltage.

Good luck.

John DeSantis
Mustang #9 or 91 or 19, depends on who shows up.
Vintage-race@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive