Re: [Vintage-race] drivers wearing watches

To: "Vintage Racing Digest" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] drivers wearing watches
From: "Norm" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:14:15 -0400
Bottom line is that a watch, ring or any other metal jewelry can become a
heat-sink in a fire.  Directly against your skin, it it will burn it.

Two other watch-related vintage racing notes:
1- After years of forgetting to remove my watch while working on my cars &
damaging all too many good watches, I learned about Rado watches -
ceramic-covered links on the bracelet & sapphire crystals.  There may be
other similar available, but Rado is what I wear.  After 12 years, the clasp
IS scratched.  But, that's it.  And, I must confess, I don't remove it while
racing.
2- Many vintage racers I've known over the years have been watch collectors.
Found that out many years ago when I worked for a watch magazine & was
showing a racer friend an article on BMW dashboard clocks that had just
appeared in an issue.  We ended up as a group of about 6 racers who then
began discussing our watch collections.  We generally had far more watches
than collector/race cars.  Must be the synergy of our cars & often,
mechanical watches, or what are know as "complications."  And, likely our
penchant to collect things.

Norm
'59 Turner, '60 Alfa & a tiny collection of watches dating from the 1800s to
the present