Re: FW: MEADOWDALE ALERT... Save the Silo! NOW!

To: wsthompson@thicko.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: FW: MEADOWDALE ALERT... Save the Silo! NOW!
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 19:04:02 EST
In a message dated 4/1/2006 5:35:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  wsthomp

There is a move afoot to demolish the Pure Oil silo  that has stood sentinel
at Meadowdale International Raceway for over fifty  years.  It is the old
track's major landmark, visible to all who pass  by on Illinois Route 31.

In a message dated 4/1/2006 5:35:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
There is a move afoot to demolish the Pure Oil silo  that has stood sentinel
at Meadowdale International Raceway for over fifty  years.  It is the old
track's major landmark, visible to all who pass  by on Illinois Route 31.

I have just mailed the following to Monica. I hope it helps in some small
way. Keep up the good work Ross.

SPORTSCAR VINTAGE RACING  ASSOCIATION
JACK WOEHRLE ~ TECHNICAL  DIRECTOR
701 Center Street
West Columbia, SC 29169
(803) 753-1098
JWoesvra@aol.com

Kane County Forest  Preserve
Attn: Monica A. Meyers, Executive Director
719 S. Batavia  Ave.
Geneva, IL  60134

Dear  Monica:
I have just heard about the  plans to demolish the PURE silo at Meadowdale.
Even though I have not seen it in  FORTY YEARS, I remember it well and have
fond memories of Meadowdale Raceway. We  all understand that the race track
can
never be used again, but to sports car  racers, this is still hallowed ground.
Whether or not the preservation  activities of the devoted have any social
merit may be debatable, but it seems  that there is an effort underway at
least.
Some folks may look at that  silo and see an eyesore. We have lost many
significant and not so significant  structures around the country in the name
of b
beautificationb and bprogressb  only to regret it later. One need only
look at
the way many towns and cities  have taken useless eyesores and made them the
centerpiece of a retro revival  center or other such attraction.
I am not familiar with the  current state of the land at Meadowdale, but
since it apparently is under Public  Protection, I assume that hiking/biking
trails and such might be in order. As  you know, counties and cities around
the
country are creating trails and  interesting sites as tourist destinations
which
help replace some of the lost  jobs in these areas. Travelers buy gas, food
and sometimes stay nearby for the  night.
Sportscar racers are also  traveling citizens and I certainly will travel a
few miles out of my way to see  the PURE silo again.
Sincerely,
Jack  Woehrle