Re: VSCDA car specifications

To: stadther@comcast.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VSCDA car specifications
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:44:15 EST
In a message dated 3/10/2006 9:27:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
stadther@comcast.net writes:

Most specs seem very reasonable to me except for my Elva Courier.The
list states that I can run rear disc brakes but that I must be heaver
than the MG powered Couriers. My car came with the lighter Ford motor
and a lighter solid axle.
Dose any one have the history of how the SCCA  specs were developed? I
have heard stories of SCCA favoring one car or  another but I would like
to know where the weight specs came  from.>>>>

Rich,

SCCA specs were based on manufacturer's information and in some cases,  field
studies of existing examples.

As you must know, Ford powered Couriers were rather rare.

Elva may have supplied the specs or SCCA may have simply read the Elva
publicity material.

In any case;

The Courier Mk IV built by Trojan, Ltd. was available with the 1498cc
pre-crossflow Ford engine. That configuration had optional rear disc brakes
and an
official weight of 1570#. You might also note that the listed carb was  one
Weber DCD. That of course is a down draught 2-bbl.

The Courier with the MGA engine (1622cc) had only drum rear brakes and
minimum weights of 1350# for the Mk I,II,III versions and 1436# for the  MkIV.

With the 1798cc MGB engine, weights were 1428-1512#, with the coupe a few
pounds more.

So, what is your point?

No one saw fit at the time to question or correct this if it was in  error.
That is what we have to go by at this point in time some 40 years  later. Can
you prove otherwise? If so, I would listen and perhaps make an  adjustment in
your favor.

I agree with the folks at VSCDA in taking this approach. I see it as  a
ground swell movement in Vintage Racing to get back to some of the original
concepts. I do believe that reasonable concessions should be explored and
fairly
dealt with in the transition, and that truly unique but accurate  examples
should not be made to comply with published standards if  documentation
supports
otherwise.

However, these unique examples must be treated differently when it comes  to
classification, of course.

Jack Woehrle