Thompson Flea market last weekend

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Thompson Flea market last weekend
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:57:13 -0500
By any chance did any one on the list attend the flea market at the old
Thompson Raceway?

I am dying to find out who bought the "Formula" chassis that was posted
for sale.   All that was on display were wheels with a note, "Formula
car for sale".
All the owner could tell me over the phone was the car was built in
Wichita, KS by aircraft engineers in 1968.   It had a Formula body and
a Can-Am body.      He had bought it for the engine. The wheels, which
were on display, were clearly off a 90's Indy car.    He explained that
they were trying to fit Penske Up-rights and the wheels.  My guess is
one of the original hubs or suspension pieces had been destroyed and
they thought they could fit the Penske stuff.

So, you have an odd Formula car from 1968 and two bodies... one a
formula car as he describe, "like a lotus" and the other a Can-Am car.
Could have this been a Mckee or similar converted to F-5000? Who
knows.... Unfortunately, by the time I called somebody had made a
bee-line to Rhode Island to look at it and ended up buying it on the
spot.

I am still dying to find out what it was.  Anyone on the list get this
thing???

Steve Silverstein