Re: Ca. Vehicle registration

To: <Erichreich@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ca. Vehicle registration
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:57:23 -0700
Erich,
I'm a retired cop in Reno, NV. First thing you want to do is call DMV and talk
to one of their vehicle inspection folks. I'm assuming there has never been a
title issued. Anyway, they are going to have to inspect the VIN and run it
through NCIC to assure the vehicle is not entered as being stolen from
anywhere. Because of the age, if there is no VIN (other than an Arch Motors
frame number) they can stamp a VIN in your frame. Since your in California you
might have to smog the car one time (even though its a '55), but I don't know
for sure. DMV can tell you. If you were in Nevada, a cop in Nevada can sign
off a VIN verification, but I don't know about the "State of Confusion".

Next thing, once DMV is assured the car is yours and not stolen it should be a
simple matter of paying exorbitant fees and being issued registration and
license plates. Oh.... not sure about Calif... in Nevada you would need proof
of insurance in your possesion before DMV would do ANY processing on the car.

One final suggestion, and I've done this in Nevada with race cars. I've had
the VIN inspected (actually, I was still working so I just filled out the form
and took it to work and had one of my buddies sign the form) then went to DMV
and obtained a Nevada Title for the car. Once you've proven to the state that
you really do own the car, going back at a later date to register a car like
this is really little more than a registration renewal.

When you get this all completed write back to the net and let us know what all
you had to do...

Good luck!!
    Carl