Re: Magna JAP rims

To: mail4carpenters@peoplepc.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Magna JAP rims
From: Grossac@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:45:19 EDT
The Magna wheels were made in England by (John A ?) Pearce, thereby the JAP
designation.  I bought a set of 6x10's for my 970 Mini Cooper S in 1971.  Can't
tell you how long they were made, but they were a less expensive and less
well-known alternative to Minilites and Revolutions.

They worked fine for me, but, in my size at least, they were very difficult
to mount tires on.  Both inner and outer safety flanges were wide, so the tire
bead wouldn't reach into the deeper inset in the center of the wheel.  The
Goodyear guys would try to hide when they saw me coming!  Had to use tubes
because the tire beads got chewed up on installation.

Chris Gross, ex-SCCA DS racer, presently vintage racing a Bugeye