Motor mounts

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Motor mounts
From: Rich & Liz Stadther <stadther@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:11:30 -0600
Listers,
I need advice on upgrading the motor mounts on my Ford powered Elva
Courier. It currently has the original early Ford Cortina style mounts
with a single bolt connecting the chassis mount to the rubber motor
mount. The bolts are very difficult to get started into the threads and
require allot of one click ratcheting to tighten the fine threads.
I would like to install the later mounts that have two bolts that are
much easier to access. How can I cut the old mounts out of the chassis
and get the later mounts positioned correctly. The engine sits well back
in the chassis so there is very little clearance for the starter, carbs,
etc. Also dose anyone have later Cortina motor mounts they can cut off a
chassis?
A friend said use solid mounts like a formula ford. Would the vibration
be excessive?
Please advise. This group has more real experience than most race shops
and I don't want to modify only to have to return to the original setup.
Rich Stadther
St Paul Minnesota