Re: Harness dates

To: Derek <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Harness dates
From: Mark Haynes <haynes386@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:20:55 -0600
Hi all, I read all of the SCCA chatter on this subject ( Thanks for the
website, Bill) and the 2 years apparently comes from SFI 16.1 Paragraph
2.12, where it states"The useful life of the webbing in the straps shall
not exceed two years and they must be replaced at or before that time."
This seems to me to be an arbitrary statement, with no data backing it
up. The test procedure doesn't address the useful life of belts as far
as I can see (Does anyone have access to SAE as 8043, Torso Restraint
Systems? I'll check my SAE website to see if it's free). This is what
they test the products to.
     It would appear to me that the two years exposure to the elements is
from the fact that most aircraft don't use sun screens to eliminate
exposure to the UV. That said, it appears to me that the two years is
under the absolutely worst conditions, full exposure to the sun, high
heat of an enclosed cockpit, etc., and that we, as racers don't subject
our belts to anything near this type of UV exposure or heat loading.
     If anyone is curious about the SFI spec. they e-mailed me a copy in
PDF format, just let me know if you'd like a copy, be patient, I'd like
to wait and send it just once to everyone(It's ~670Kb).
Thanks,
Mark Haynes
RMVR
ASME