Re: 1275s in Bugeyes

To: Richard Newton <rfn026@yahoo.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1275s in Bugeyes
From: Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:42:10 -0500
on 5/15/03 2:04 PM, Richard Newton at rfn026@yahoo.com wrote:

> Gee - If they keep this up we'll have to take the 427 cid small block out of
> the car. Seriously though there aren't many Corvettes that could pass a cubic
> inch test. Why are the poor Sprites getting picked on?

    It seems to me that this is a common sentiment that comes out whenever
there is a discussion of rules issues.  It is often casually stated that so
many cars run oversize engines.  While I am sure that there are a few out
there, I think these statements are irresponsible.  Some race organizers
have worked very hard to encourage and enforce (if necessary) compliance
with the rules.  SVRA's Group 6 races are closely contested events with some
very quick V-8 cars (including Corvettes, of course) and I think that group
would feel a bit insulted by your casual insinuation that most Corvette
runners are cheaters.  Are the Camaros, Mustangs, Cobras different or are
they cheaters too?

    More to the point, is it any justification for Bugeyes to run oversize
motors to say that so and so runs a cheater motor too?

    I am of the opinion that one of the goals of vintage racing should be
the approximation of period correct racing.  Therefore, we should strive to
make the cars as nearly correct as possible.  1275cc in a bugeye? -- not
close to period correct in my opinion.
 --
Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>