RE; Tongue Weight

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE; Tongue Weight
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:57:09 EDT
WST and all:

In addition to the tongue weight, you also have to worry about the load
balancing.  You'll find that if you have too much weight aft of the trailer
axles, the trailer will start oscillating wildly on you at certain speeds.
That can be pretty exciting!   I tried loading my car ass end first once, and
almost lost it when it started whipping at about 60.  It was just fine up
till then.   The force was great enough to break the rear tires loose on the
Suburban I was towing it with.

When this happens, the best solution is to manually apply the electric
trailer brakes fully (if you have them) while keeping a steady, even throttle
on the tow vehicle, then gradually slow down once the oscillating stops.  If
you don't catch it quick, you'll rapidly become one of the reasons for the
traffic delay on the next radio report!

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128