Re: Prod turned FF, an alternative?

To: <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prod turned FF, an alternative?
From: "Peter L. Krause" <pkrause@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:20:38 -0500
Don, et al

One of the most exciting trends in East Coast vintage and historic racing
recently is the considerable strengthening of the North American Chapter of
the Sports 2000 Racing Car Club, headed up by Vaughn Rockney of
www.vintagegarage.com

Vaughn, Peter Gates and others have succeeded in persevering over the last
two years and now have substantial interest (18 cars on the roster) for the
upcoming 2003 series, enough so that Jack W and Jack Lewis have graciously
provided a class in both of their respective organizations (SVRA and HSR)
for these remarkable and (relatively) economical cars. See
http://www.vintagegarage.com/sports2000-srcc/roster.htm for the current list
of drivers and cars being readied for next year.

No criticism intended of my friends in Monoposto, but I've always been wary
and have consciously steered my customers away from open-wheel cars based on
safety concerns, secretly lusting after the purpose built nature of a
pure-bred racing car. Not being able to afford my favorites, Chevron B-19's,
Lola T-212's and Abarth 2000 SP's, I turned my gaze a long time ago to the
early Sports 2000 cars (1977-1982) like the Lola T-490/492/590/592 and the
various Tiga and Royale equivalents. Accordingly, I have sold the Fiat and
purchased several Tigas to prepare for running and sale next year (good news
for all those TR's, MGB's and other farm implements! :-)

With the announcement of the North American Championship (best 5 of 9 count)
and a separate class to encourage the participation of the early (Historic
class) cars, the NAC of the SRCC has in place an ideal venue for "aging" (I
use that term gently, Don) Production car guys (and gals) to have a go in a
real, purpose-built race car.

Dan Davis doesn't know it yet, but I'm putting together an article that will
cover these cars and the exciting racing they can provide in time for the
beginning of next year. I hope Don and others will explore this great
opportunity for fun racing among friends in (relatively) equal cars in
friendly venues. See you at VDCA in Savannah, HSR in Sebring, SVRA in
Savannah or VSCCA at VIR!

-Peter Krause