Q: BMC 948 Timing Gear/Chain Recommendation

To: lotus@se7ens.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Q: BMC 948 Timing Gear/Chain Recommendation
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 06:35:48 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

with the rattle from the front of my 948 Sprite
powered, road-going Lotus Seven's engine diagnosed as
worn timing chain/gears, I'm prepared to replace them.

I can get a single row chain kit from Moss for $14.95
(cheap I thought!) or I can get machined steel gears
with duplex chain kit from APT for about $119.00 (more
like what I'd expect for a performance part) I know
I'll have to countersink some screws with this too.

Question: should I upgrade to the high quality duplex
set-up considering my Seven is driven as a road and
not a race car? Is the Moss kit garbage, or might it
be sufficient? The rest of the motor is stock as far
as I can tell.

Thanks in advance for support and input.

John Donohoe