Dog Ring Shifter Article

To: "vintage-race@autox.team.net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dog Ring Shifter Article
From: keith franck <kdfranck@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 15:01:51 -0800
Hi, I'm a newbie to this list which I found recently. My family has
campaigned a Lotus41 since the late sixties and we occasionally run with
CSRG now.

A couple of years ago I stripped our Hewland Mk5 transaxle down with the
intent of reducing the balkiness of the shifting mechanism. I succeeded
in doing so even beyond my wildest expectations. Before I did this
tune-up it would have required the assistance of some vise grip pliers
clamped onto the short stub end of the selector shaft which sticks out
of the housing to manually engage any gears while rocking the car back
and forth to allow the dog rings to operate correctly. Now one can grasp
the bare selector stub with two fingers and easily do it. It has
completely changed the unit into being extremely user friendly. If your
gearbox shifts with no problems then you can stop reading this message
now.

I've written an article which is two pages in length explaining the
engineering principles for resolving this problem. There's 400+ on this
list and hopefully not everyone will want it. Contact me and I'll sent
it to you. If the response is overwhelming, I'll figure out how to send
the file to the Team.Net File Archives instead. I'm assuming this list
strips all attachments from postings. I've read the list instructions
but that info wasn't mentioned that I could find.

To establish a little mechanical engineering credibility I've provided a
couple of links to my design work at LBNL. The first link are some
Acrobat (pdf) pictures of my recent 3D modeling of x-ray optics thingies
for the ALS. For instance, flat reflective mirrors which are bent into a
parabolic shape to sub micro-radian slope error tolerances by an
ultra-precision mechanical mechanism.
<http://www-eng.lbl.gov/~franck/>
Here's one to the ALS.
<http://www-als.lbl.gov/>
Everyone seen this one too?
<http://www.hewland.com/svga/help.htm>
--
Keith Franck

Martinez, California

Hometown of the Martini
kdfranck@pacbell.net

ps, If anyone has a '62 C1 Corvette maybe I can help you fix the shifter
rattle, steering box, water pump leak, fuel stench from filler, T10
mainshaft rear bearing spinning in the housing problem and other stuff.