Rules, eligibility, etc...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Rules, eligibility, etc...
From: "David R. Mapes" <dmapes@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 22:30:01 -0500
Hi Folks,

        I'm aware of the SVRA Group 6 pre 12/31/1972 race
history eligibility requirement, Jack Whoerle has indicated
to me that he's been trying to get that rule repealed or
liberalized for some time and expects things to open up a
bit in a year or two.  Even if that doesn't happen there're
always NASA or FATT events to play at.  Half the fun for me
is developing the car anyway so even if I was only going to
run in CP autocross the direction of the build up would be
about the same (only more extream).  In the interum, I've got
the SCCA '67 GCRs and the SVRA rules as published on the
website and suplimented by Jack (he's been a great help).
Since I'm a good 3 to 4 years away from having the car track
ready (that old time/money/ability equasion), I can have
plenty of fun dialing the GoldFish into the rule book and
the competitive milu while still driving it to local
autocrosses, cruze nights, Chryslers at Carlise, or up to
the Point for a FATT.

        One of the reasons I decided to prep the Barracuda
for the track instead of the Mustang, is that Ol'Beastly
was built without reference to a rule book, so it sort of
fell into CP.  With things like 4 wheel disks, Richmond DNE 5
speed, and aluminum headed 410 ci windsor it was pushing even
the liberal limits of CP.  One of the "advantages" of building
to the Vintage rules is that it turns out (for nut cases like
me anyway) to be cheaper.  That being said I'm both pleased
and dismayed at how well the Barracuda is coming along.  At
its first Autocross the GoldFish was nearly 11 seconds off of
the CP class winner, but over the season I've narrowed that
margin to just 2.6 seconds while only running on 225 50 15
Toyo DOT tires against the competition's 25"x12"-16 R33
Hoosier slicks (Only about 1.5 seconds off of where I was
with Ol'Beastly).

        So far the GoldFish has recieved the following:

        -       A set of 15"x7" CircleRacing alloy wheels
                with the above listed Toyos

        -       Spax shocks (listed in their catalog for Chrysler,
                Australia - Valiants, all models)
        -       Urathain lower control arm and rear spring bushings

        -       High durometer strut rod bushings

        -       Offset upper control arm bushings

        -       Aluminum radiator

        -       Fiberglass front bumper (one of two in existance
                as far as I can tell, it'll have to come off for
                the track, but makes a nice lite weight front license
                plate mount (7# vs 36# for the stocker))

        -       Installed Holley 650 CFM 4160 in place of the Carter AFB

        -       Installed Douge's headers and 2.5" dual exhaust

        -       A mild preformance alignment (-1.1 Deg Camber,
                + 4 Deg Caster, 0.125" Toe out, lowered 1" from
                FSM spec),

        -       Moved the battery behind the right rear wheel

        -       A custom road race oil pan (nothing availiable off
                the shelf for an early A-body)

        -       Saner Performance Fabrication made me a nice,
                adjustable 1.125" front swaybar to replace the
                stock 11/16" Formula S bar.

        As the car is now its nicely balanced with a hint of throttle
correctable understeer.  If it was going to remain a street car, I'd
leave the suspension allone at this point.  Next on the list are 0.990"
torsion bars to replace the stock 0.870" ones, a 11/16" adjustable rear
swaybar (left over from when Ol'beastly was converted to rear disks),
a fresh 273 Commando, and a 4 speed conversion.  Oh, and new seat belts!

All the Best!  Dave  ;->
Lame Horse Racing
-  '66 CP (Vintage Road Racer to be) Formula S Barracuda (AKA GoldFish)
-  '66 CP Rust-er-Mustang Coup (AKA Ol'Beastly)
-  '91 Plymouth Sundance (145,000+ Miles and counting, Just
        runs too good to replace)
-  '97 Jeep Cherokee (Oh-M'Gosh! Three Recalls!)
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing... College Park, MD
http://www.erols.com/dmapes/