Turbo V Supercharger

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Turbo V Supercharger
From: John Hardy <hardwire@electract.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 16:35:36 +0000
a lot has been said about turbo lag etc against the almost constant
pressur of the sc.

The other downside to turbos is the control gear needed to sort out
wastegate pressure etc. This is a black art and get it wrong at your
peril. With an SC a blow off valve and the installation in general is
relatively simple to sort out. In fact, given good basic advice, an SC
installation is acheivable by a good ameteur engineer. I don't think a
turbo is.

BTW I've owned 3 turbo cars. A BMW, Maserati (heap of crap) and my
Subaru. The last developes the thick end of 300bhp and is regularly
beaten off the lights. But at 70-120mph there really isn't much that can
stay with it. But where can you use that performance? Try it in the
lower gears to keep the revs up and you need shares in a petrol company.

My next everyday car will be blown if all goes to plan as will my next
project.

JH