CSRG Election Issues

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: CSRG Election Issues
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 12:20:02 EST
Apologies to non CSRG members....unfortunately, this list is a more effective
way of reaching many CSRG members since the club has no website, or
membership directory/roster....(something I hope to change).

By now most CSRG members should have received their 2002 ballots, as well as
their November 2001 newsletter (published and edited, by the way by Tom
Franges, CSRG 2001 President).

In the above mentioned newsletter, an editorial by Mr. Franges makes
references to my CSRG Board campaign, and most unfairly did not offer me (as
one of the other candidates) an "equal time" opportunity to respond in the
club newsletter.  I would like to publicly respond to his comments in this
forum and hope that you will pass this information on to your other CSRG
friends who may not subscribe to this list.  Again, I apologize to non CSRG
listers, and promise to make this my last post on this topic.

1.  In m view, Tom Franges is basically a good guy who has worked hard for
CSRG and should be thanked for his efforts.  In particular, he personally
took on the job of publishing the newsletter, and while subject to critical
improvements, a thanks is in order for his efforts.  And this past year he
volunteered his time to serve as CSRG President.  I appreciate his efforts.
I just wish he and the rest of the board would not have lost all our money,
and would have developed some new events.

2.  The current board of CSRG "while working tirelessly for the last two (or,
in one case many more than two) years to build an ever better club on the
foundation of the ideals, principles and success of past boards" (whatever
that is....to quote Mr. Franges), has in fact piXXed away the substantial
financial reserves that the club had in the bank in January 2001.  Thus, the
appeal in the latest newsletter for a SUBSTANTIAL dues increase for the
membership, requiring an amendment to the bylaws.  My advice, reject it.

3.  What has caused this situation, you might ask?  In my opinion, there are
several reasons.  Among them...higher costs and low entries, 5 events at the
same old 2 venues (2 Sears, 3 Thunderhill events).  There were NO new events
in 2001.  In fact, the majority of members of this board saw the club LOSE 2
of its most interesting venues...The Reno Hilton GP, and the Buchanon Field
GP, and did NOT develop any replacements.  It can be argued that the reasons
for the loss of these events was not directly attributable to the current
board, but in my view, they should have seen this coming and DEVELOPED SOME
NEW VENUES.  An effort by myself and others to develop the MARE ISLAND Grand
Prix was dropped by the current board (and they have plenty of reasons why).
The Board gave up pursuing Laguna Seca, a very poor decision, in my opinion.

4.  My attempts (although admittedly limited based on my frustrating
experiences in trying to talk to them in the past) to interact with this
board has been met with general dismissal.  Others who have tried to help the
club have experienced the same attitude from them.  In my view, they are NOT
willing to listen to a portion of the membership who want to have more
liberal views of acceptance, and the kind of events we should have.  A vote
for me sends a clear message to them that this tunnel vision needs to change.
 Their big accomplishments this past year seems to me like rearranging the
deck chairs on the TITANTIC.  They're spending all their time arguing about
1600 vs. 1750 Alfas and the like, when they should be working on future
events and worrying about where the money went, and will come from in the
future.

5.  Finally, the election itself is a sham.  The board convinced Dan Radowicz
(currently a paid club administrator) to run against me.  The ballot says,
vote for 4.  My recommendation is vote ONLY 1 vote, for me.  Any votes for
any of the other candidates dilute my campaign, and vote only for the
current, present regime.  (only the candidates with the most votes win)  If
Dan wins a board seat, I believe he is clearly in a position of conflict of
interest, and should consider either resigning his board seat, or his paid
position as an employee of CSRG.

6.  If I win a seat, I will clearly face a "stacked deck".  I do believe,
however, that there are some reasonable people on the board, and I may be
able to slowly convince them to do things differently.  I will do my best to
focus the board's direction on developing new venues, NOT driving away
members by their "nit picking" on individual car acceptance issues, and I
pledge to let the members know what REALLY happens in those closed door
discussions that are so common with the present CSRG board.

I appreciate your support, and hope to see you at the track.  In the end,
this is all about having fun.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen