Loosing a Wheel, Part III

Subject: Loosing a Wheel, Part III
From: Jari Tabell <jari.tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:43:54 +0300
Greetings from Finland!

My racing season got a premature end week ago in our main vintage racing
event at Ahvenisto circuit. The rear wheel of my Triumph Spitfire broke
loose again (already 3rd time with this car) and the car suffered such
damage that it'll take until next season before it'll be race ready
again.

Please have a look at: http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell/rr014.htm

Now my question is if anyone have any suggestions of how to prevent the
rear wheels of a Spitfire escaping by themselves? I already had
specially made heat treated steel halfshafts, but it seems that the
original desing is just not strong enought even if better material is
used. The limitating matter is that the FIA Appendix K doesn't give much
possibilities to any bigger modifications.  I saw a photo of a modified
axle kit in the Spitfire Comp Manual. Does anyone have any further info
on that? Or what do SCCA racers use?

Regards

Jari
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell/