Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors - Can they be turned?

To: Idplanes@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors - Can they be turned?
From: lwdent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:03:55 -0500
Ok one final word on the rotors.

If I offended anyone I apologize, but you were getting fed some bad
information by several sources.

I took the time and trouble to call an expert on the subject to verify
that what I thought I knew was still the case, before shooting off some
advice that was incorrect.  Times change and all that.

The gentleman that suggested chucking them in your lathe  may be the
worlds greatest machinists but his advice was way off base.  Can't be
done.  95% waste when the disk is tapered and has runout that can't be
corrected, maybe 5% success with a lot of luck.  Just plain bad advice.

You get a lot of opinions on these lines, and it has been referred to in
the past, on other lines as "pooling our ignorance".  If that offended
you all, I am truly sorry.

Now as to the two gentlemen that seemed to threaten me with a desire to
meet on the track, I can only say, gosh, I thought vintage racing was a
gentlemen's sport.  Is that any way to act???

Larry Dent