Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:41:25 EDT
Gentlemen - clearly the usual mass market outlets like Moss are selling
cross-drilled rotors not because they work, but because the buying public
perceives them as being 'racy' and will pay much more for them.

I have played around with both on a mid-range production car, and my personal
opinion is that they are a hassle to get done properly, add potential stress
risers that can conceivably cause problems, and make not one iota of
difference in braking performance.

Obviously the performance issue might have another answer on another car
perhaps with more marginal braking, but my question is - is it really worth
playing around with? How many out there can swear that it has made all the
(or any) difference in their lap times?

Bill
(1900 lb. MG with the same brakes as a 2600 lb XKE)