Re: possible virus "Hi, how are you?"

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>, <jrhill@chorus.net>
Subject: Re: possible virus "Hi, how are you?"
From: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:43:57 -0400
As I would have guessed too. I just remember seeing vintage-race@autox in the
address of both. I didn't leave them up long enough to pay too much
attention.

Roger

Roger Sieling wrote:

> . . . I did get the snow white virus on both Home and office
> computers last week complementary of this list. Luckily virus
> scan got rid of both.

It's my understanding that the FOT, Vintage-race and Mark's other
autox.team.net mailing lists do NOT forward attachments to list members.
Attachments sent to the list are stripped off by the server and replaced by
a line of text:

    [demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/zip which had a
name of [filename]]

But if someone sends a separate copy of an email with an attachment directly
to a named list member, THAT copy doesn't go through the list server, and
the attachment will not be removed from THAT copy.

If you received an email from a list member with an infected attachment, the
odds are that the list member's computer is infected and he/she is probably
not aware of it.

Jim Hill
Madison WI

the system manager.