Re: Seats for GT6

To: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@cs.utah.edu>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seats for GT6
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:05:58 -0400
Keep in mind that there are Corbeaus and other low end after market seats
that really are designed for road use only.  The Corbeau that I used to use
was just tack-welded mild steel framing and plywood supports sunder the
foam, and the attachment bolts went into fairly cheesy riv-nuts.  Corbeau
and others also make FIA approved seats which have to meet pretty strict
rules for safety.  I personally like the Kirkey type aluminium seats, which
get you down low and give great support.  You have to be careful about
mounting them also, with big washers to back up the mounting bolts, and be
sure to support the seat-back as well as the base.

Brian

At 04:47 PM 7/19/01 -0400, Mark J. Bradakis wrote:
>Oddly enough, the latest issue of the SCCA "Sports Car" magazine arrived in
>the morning mail, and it has a cover story about race seats.  I've not yet
>read it, so I have no idea what it says.
>
>I did get a Corbeau Clubman in an early Spitfire, after fabbing up some
>brackets to mate it to the original sliders.  It is a fairly tight fit,
>but it works.  Actually, I think only three of the four corners are bolted
>down, as I couldn't get to the last one.  It has been awhile, I can't
>remember offhand.  Though the GT6 has the same floor pan, it might be even
>more difficult to get a seat in since the roof is an issue.
>
>I've been meaning to look into Kirkey seats, I believe they have some fairly
>narrow aluminum shells that may work.  The Corbeau mentioned above is for a
>street car, there is no way it would fit with a roll bar and harness mounts.
>My racing Spits have less than adequate seating, so I'm hoping the Kirkey
>units
>may be the answer.
>
>mjb.

Brian Evans