Re: Carbon-fiber brake shoes/pads

To: Tombread@aol.com, <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>, <dim1@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Carbon-fiber brake shoes/pads
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:07:46 -0400
My take on this is that we try to find ways to get the most *useful* heat
into the brakes as quickly as possible, and then to migrate that heat away,
so that we can put new heat into the brakes the next time we use
them.  Heat control is all about not boiling brake fluid, not cracking
discs or drums, not eroding away material - but braking is all about
getting the most kinetic energy turned into heat in the shortest period of
time possible.

Brian

At 11:42 AM 7/18/01 -0400, Tombread@aol.com wrote:
>?? If brake heat is a good thing, why do we spend so much time trying to
>find ways to alleviate it, with ducting, water cooling, alloys, compounds,
>etc.  Don't we want optimal coefficient of friction with minimal component
>temps?

Brian Evans
Director, Canada
MCI Wholesale Internet Services