Re: Generator recommendations anyone?

To: thomkuby@iwvisp.com, 912@rennlist.org, 911@rennlist.org,
Subject: Re: Generator recommendations anyone?
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:30:56 EDT
Thom:

Here are my thoughts on the subject, having had one for a while:

1.  What do you plan to run?  I was mainly interested in running flourescent
lights in the trailer, a small air compressor, an electric impact wrench, and
misc. small tools and TV.
2.  Is weight an issue for you?
3.  Is sound level an issue for you?

I ended up with a Honda 675 Watt model, their smallest, lightest, and
quietest unit.

It would run the lights and tools just fine.  I found it wouldn't provide
enough start current for most small air compressors.  So, I found a VERY
small compressor (like the type used to power airbrushes) that it would run.
It pumps up my portable tank in about 15 minutes, which is fine.  Its also
very small and light which is a plus.

The small size is a plus, and the low weight means less towed weight.  By
keeping it portable, I could move it further away from the pit for less
noise.  It was so quiet,  no one ever complained about it, where other larger
generators were totally obnoxious with their noise (keeping your neighbors
happy is important too!).

I installed a shop cord reel near the floor of the trailer and ran the wire
out underneath.  Then, I could just reach under the trailer and pull out the
cable to a suitable length and put the generator there (had to change the
plugs on both ends of the cord reel for this).

By keeping it small and portable, you can also use it for other needs when
you're not racing.  Small also means less gas, so you don't have to carry a
big fuel supply for the generator too.

I see Honda has a newer model now, that's smaller and more powerful than the
one I had...I'd check that one out.

But, I sold that generator wiht my old trailer.  I'm now just using an
inverter that I hook to the trailer or tow vehicle battery.  I have a 300W
model that runs everything I mentioned above.  Sometimes, inverters do have
trouble with flourescent lights, though.  And you have to remember not to
completely run down the battery you're powering from.  It does run my impact,
air compressor, and tools.  I have a solar panel to add to the trailer to
help charge the battery.  Does this mean I'm an environmentalist-racer???

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128