Re: Race Spec Roll Bars

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, rlmarcum@citcom.net
Subject: Re: Race Spec Roll Bars
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:24:26 EDT
In a message dated 09/07/01 6:42:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
JWoesvra@aol.com writes:

> The sometimes adversarial relationship between mechanics or drivers and the
> tech inspectors often creates an environment that circumvents simple
> solutions to safety issues. I want tech inspectors to help crews make cars
> safer. I don't believe black and white regulations always help to do this.

One experience that I had deals with a particularly difficult car to install
a legal rollbar in. One of my race cars is an early TVR Grantura - the one
that has the tail that drops off, rather than the later 'Kamm' tail version.

That means that immediately behind the driver's head, the roofline drops. I
built a rollbar that hugged the inside of the roof just in front of the rear
window, but even so, it probably wouldn't make the 2" rule simply because of
the rate of drop off of the roof profile.

The first time I brought the car out, I explained all the factors to a
seasoned tech inspector, who approved the car based on what I had done, and
gave it a CASC number.

On several occasions at later races, particularly in the States, they wanted
to fail the car. I always told them that if they had any better way to
install a bar, I was listening, but they never had any solutions (except the
guy that suggested that I lose the rear window and cut a hole in the roof to
run the bar outside the car - I probably would have been failed for having an
illegal airfoil if I'd taken his advice!).

I lowered my seating position as much as I could, always kept my belts tight
(how few of us tighten the belts before a race - the tech guys should make us
belt in as we would for a race and then see how far up and out we are free to
come - it would surprise you) and yes, I slouched in tech, to avoid the
hassle. I asked one tech inspector that was not going to let the car run to
put it in writing if he decided to fail the car, but he refused. He also
passed it in the end.

There are a few cars that are simply problematic to follow the letter of the
rules. Unfortunately, the ratio of tech people that simply read the rulebook
as opposed to analysing the situation is pretty low.........the 'pros' are
very good, once they see that you have done your best to comply, and aren't
engaged in the all to common attempt to gain some advantage, while the
weekend helpers are (perhaps justifiably) unwilling to deviate from the
letter of the law.

Bill Spohn