Re: Safety

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety
From: Tom M <tcm43@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:25:25 -0800
john.r.hildebrand@us.pwcglobal.com wrote:

<snip>
> It would also be interesting to figure out how auto racing compares on a
> per mile basis to driving on the street.  Maybe someone on list knows?

I read in a book (Peter Scott's "Racing Driver's Handbook", iirc) a few
years ago that the SCCA's medical carrier paid out three times as much
for injuries sustain in the paddock as for injuries sustained on the
track.

As to comparing with street travel, the overall accident rate for
drivers age 55 and over is 1.5 per 100,000 miles traveled.  I think this
includes property damage only, as well as injury accidents.

Tom M
Elva Courier #43