Re: Bolt stretch (again)

To: Mark Palmer <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Bolt stretch (again)
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:13:52 -0500
In the late 1970s, I was the marketing manager for a company that made
ultrasonic nondestructive testing equipment. We made ultrasonic
thickness gages that would measure metal parts to better than 0.001
inch. One project we did was to work with a fastener company to develop
for NASA a length gage for large fasteners used on the SPace Shuttle,
measuring stretch for preload. We followed up with one for large bolts
used in bridges. Both worked like a charm and could be used on blind
bolts, as it only needed access to one end of the bolt.
As part of this project, we learned a lot about bolts. What Mark is
saying is completely in line with our R&D results.
Jim

--
Jim Hayes                  Fotec/Cable U
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.CableU.net