Re: Odd aluminum serial number plate on old Sunbeam race motor

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, <milano164@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Odd aluminum serial number plate on old Sunbeam race motor
From: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:51:31 -0500
Is there any mention of Wacholtz or Midwest Balancing on this tag? I think Bud
is still around, but his balancing business was bought out years ago. He
attempted to open a new one after the no compete ran out, but by then I think
it was a different game and it was so long that many had forgotten the name. I
also think it got a lot more expensive and his heart just wasn't in it. The
rest of the business sort of remains as Tubular Techniques in a different
location, owned by Bud's long time, younger partner.

Roger

>>> Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net> 12/17/00 10:19AM >>>
I pulled the engine in the old Sunbeam race car I am restoring.
I thought that the block had a crack (in addition to sitting for 32 years)
because there was an 2x5 aluminum patch on the side of the engine below the
generator.

Actually, this is a serial number plate but not a Rootes ID number.  Did the
SCCA require some sort of ID plate on the engine block?

The other possibility is Wacholz, who did the precision balancing also added
an ID serial number plate.   This would be similar to the head on this car
which has a "Mondello's" stamp and serial number (and I thought they only
worked on Oldmobiles).

Thanks,

Steve Silverstein