Minibikes and pit bikes

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Minibikes and pit bikes
From: NeotoyRick@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:24:44 EST
For those of you who fondly remember Honda trail Z50's and CT70's from your
youth, there is an article in today's Chicago Tribune all about the
mini-bikes and the new clones being manufactured:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/article/0,1051,SAV-0011190404,00.html

Unfortunately the online version is text only, because the pictures and
technical specs grid of the mini bikes, including the old L'il Indian, Honda
Z50, CT70, Rupp, Taco and other bikes is interesting.

I bought a '69 Honda Z50 at a farm auction about 10 years ago, brought it
home and it started on the first kick.  I have done nothing but add gas (yeah
it kinda needs a "tune up" but still runs great) and have brought it as my
pit bike for a dozen race weekends over those ten years.  What a great
vintage pit bike!  Handle bars fold down to fit in the back of a Chevy
Suburban.  It will take both me and my wife up the hill to turn six at Road
America.  That waas on the grass - its even easier now that there is a paved
road.  The lights still work!  A race wouldn't go by without somone leaving a
business card on the bike wanting to buy it.

Hard to find, but worth the search for a decent one.  Now I read that the
Hondas are being remanufactured by a company named Panda that bought the
tooling.  You can get a new Z50 clone for $1,249.

Hope you all enjoy the article.

Rick Gurolnick
1960 Porsche 356 Roadster Vintage Racecar.